• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 California Comic Con - Post your Photos
2 2

124 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I love this Con, but I hate the crowds.  I found a few books I've wanted for awhile, and as usual I talked the dealers down on their prices a little...but I never waved my price guide.  In fact, I didn't even bring it.  lol  Here are some DCs I got...

46037429515_66a96458b1_c.jpg

46899311852_790f098a30_c.jpg

32010359427_abc30e56af_c.jpg

46899312532_80dd1467c8_c.jpg

32010360417_4595c098fc_c.jpg

46037427975_ac75e8c8cf_c.jpg

Nice DCs Brian. Could that Star Spangled #125 possibly be a pedigree? Those markings look familiar.

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Nice DCs Brian. Could that Star Spangled #125 possibly be a pedigree? Those markings look familiar.

I don't know...Torpedo didn't mention it.  Maybe someone here will recognize the markings...My friend Scott Z. has gotten two Cosmic Aeroplane books from dealers who didn't recognize the pedigree on them...so who knows...?

3 hours ago, woowoo said:

I bought a CGC 6.0 Superman 9 for under 1000 last year ebay and at cons they are 5 times that price:whatthe: I bought a lot of Superman's number's in the  30 to 40 around 100 to 150 and at the Berkley con the are 300 to 450 and the ones I got on ebay are in better shape(shrug) I say all the Actions in the number 80 to 130 and Tecs in that range are 35% the cost on ebay than at show's. I know it don't cost 40 bucks to do a show now days but I have no problem spending $$$ if they left a little meat on the bone. My x wife left a little meat and took the rest :cry:

You can get some deals on "run" issues of GA DCs on the Bay I guess. The oddball, early cool GGA, PCH, War covers and such, not a chance. I have bid really "to the moon" on a lot of them and rarely get anything. I am not a high grade guy per say but my return rate is very high on ebay. Things like centerfolds missing, coupons cut, brittle pages ect. Things not noted and not visable in the photos. This is just basic grading. I wouldn't dream spending anything more than a hundred bucks or so on a book that wasn't slabbed unless I knew the seller beforehand.

If show prices are too high for you, just walk and spend your money elsewhere. I do it all the time. Problem is, the stuff I am looking for rarely turns up for sale so it's a lot harder to walk and find it elsewhere. Some times, I have very little choice. I doubt too many dealers will be selling single digit Supermans cheap anymore either.

Searching for deals is an art and requires a lot of patience.  I have gotten very selective of the dealers I patronize on ebay.  At least at shows you can inspect the books and try to work a deal.  On ebay that is impossible, so I'm stuck with the good prices and discounts from the dealers I trust...and I never buy from anyone with less than a 99.9% rating.  The books I bought at Terry's show were all books I could not find in decent grades or decent prices on ebay, or even at all.  My Strange Adventures #2 was way below what anyone on ebay is selling a copy for...It was only $100 after discount.  Try to find a comparable issue on ebay for close to that amount...there aren't any...and try to find a Star Spangled 127 on ebay...good luck with that...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 1/29/2019 at 11:15 AM, shortboxed said:

And here's my top prize from the weekend. Single highest graded :)

IMG_20190129_080608.jpg

I think you got this from Harley?  I happened to be there when you were talking to him.  I think you said something like "Let me walk around the room and think about it."  Glad you got it.  Or maybe that guy passed and you then picked it up (?).  Either way, congrats!

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It never ceases to amaze me what sells at a con. I sold all 3 issues of Star Spangled as well as Metamorpho, Metal Men, Bullwinkle, Howdy Doody and a lot of Dell Westerns. Everything sells for the right price to the right person.

And your prices are usually "right"...thanks for the steal on those 2 Jumbos...:cloud9:  If your table hadn't been so crowded I would have looked thru more boxes...

38 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

I think you got this from Harley?  I happened to be there when you were talking to him.  I think you said something like "Let me walk around the room and think about it."  Glad you got it.  Or maybe that guy passed and you then picked it up (?).  Either way, congrats!

That was me! Always a risk when leaving a book behind but glad no one else snatched it up :)

8 hours ago, woowoo said:

I bought a CGC 6.0 Superman 9 for under 1000 last year ebay and at cons they are 5 times that price:whatthe: I bought a lot of Superman's number's in the  30 to 40 around 100 to 150 and at the Berkley con the are 300 to 450 and the ones I got on ebay are in better shape(shrug) I say all the Actions in the number 80 to 130 and Tecs in that range are 35% the cost on ebay than at show's. I know it don't cost 40 bucks to do a show now days but I have no problem spending $$$ if they left a little meat on the bone. My x wife left a little meat and took the rest :cry:

Generic cover post war DCs are exactly the sort of readily available GA comics one can often find for comparatively cheap on ebay, but that's only a small part of the market. 

23 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

What about the classic joke covers like this one?  I would NEVER sell this book at a discount.  I don't even think I would sell it for guide...In fact, I doubt I will EVER sell it. :whatthe: I got this back in the early 90s from the late Hugh O'Kennon.  He was a great dealer.  When he sent you a book it was always graded very tight...and most of the time he undergraded.

258078331_DC-Sup45-Bx7344.jpg.d3cb315a887a82cd9ceabf94defe5600.jpg

Hugh was a great seller the old paper catalog :headbang:

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

What about the classic joke covers like this one?  I would NEVER sell this book at a discount.  I don't even think I would sell it for guide...In fact, I doubt I will EVER sell it. :whatthe: I got this back in the early 90s from the late Hugh O'Kennon.  He was a great dealer.  When he sent you a book it was always graded very tight...and most of the time he undergraded.

258078331_DC-Sup45-Bx7344.jpg.d3cb315a887a82cd9ceabf94defe5600.jpg

That run of books have a real nice charm about them. My Dad wouldn't let me buy them for $1 each at a flea market when I spotted a pile because he said they were overpriced! I never let him forget that! He did give me the $3 buy a vintage Erector set from the forties that was the source of countless hours of fun. Still have it too! Yup Brian, I wouldn't sell a book that nice either!

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

You can get some deals on "run" issues of GA DCs on the Bay I guess. The oddball, early cool GGA, PCH, War covers and such, not a chance. I have bid really "to the moon" on a lot of them and rarely get anything. I am not a high grade guy per say but my return rate is very high on ebay. Things like centerfolds missing, coupons cut, brittle pages ect. Things not noted and not visable in the photos. This is just basic grading. I wouldn't dream spending anything more than a hundred bucks or so on a book that wasn't slabbed unless I knew the seller beforehand.

If show prices are too high for you, just walk and spend your money elsewhere. I do it all the time. Problem is, the stuff I am looking for rarely turns up for sale so it's a lot harder to walk and find it elsewhere. Some times, I have very little choice. I doubt too many dealers will be selling single digit Supermans cheap anymore either.

Twenty years ago when I would bid on PCH books at eBay, I won prolly 80% or better.  Now, doesn't matter what I bid, there always seems to be a higher snipe.  Pre-Code Crime is a bit easier, at least.  

Was there much PCH available at the con?

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

By the way this being the rare super rainy Saturday in California and the first weekend after Terry's show is anyone else planning on reading their pickups today! I plan on cracking out my Leading to read later this afternoon.

It's pouring at my house right now. Wind is blowing trees sideways. I did read my few Terry Con pickups this morning. I plan to pull out some boxes and doing some filing. Always fun as I see other books in there to read or look through again. Looks like no flea market tomorrow...:sorry:

1 hour ago, fifties said:

Twenty years ago when I would bid on PCH books at eBay, I won prolly 80% or better.  Now, doesn't matter what I bid, there always seems to be a higher snipe.  Pre-Code Crime is a bit easier, at least.  

Was there much PCH available at the con?

Yep, lots of PCH there. A lot was pretty pricey but there were bargains to be had if you wern't looking for high grade or keys. I sold most of my PCH and ECs. Always VERY popular!

On 2/1/2019 at 2:25 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I love this Con, but I hate the crowds.  I found a few books I've wanted for awhile, and as usual I talked the dealers down on their prices a little...but I never waved my price guide.  In fact, I didn't even bring it.  lol  Here are some DCs I got...

32010359427_abc30e56af_c.jpg

Wow, Brain, your acquisitions couldn't be more in line with my current leanings than these great books! Mucho congrats!! (thumbsu