• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOS 39 CGC 5.0 - Clean and Press candidate???

6 posts in this topic

Hi All

I bought a CGC 5.0 TOS 39 and am thinking of having it cleaned and pressed. One of the items in the grader notes was 'Center Back Cover Heavy Rippling/Warping'.  However, there was tape removed and the top left corner shows significant color removal (see pics).  My question is, should i have it cleaned and pressed? Does anyone one have an idea how many points were likely taken away for this?  Do I dare hope for a 6.0 or is a 5.5 the most I could get with this book? If I can hope for a 6.0, financially it works out. For a 5.5 it would be a wash.

rest of notes:

Back Cover Marker/Pen
Bottom Spine Wear
Bottom Staple Small Tear
Center Back Cover Heavy Rippling/Warping
Left Top Front Cover Color Lift
Right Bottom Back Cover Lite Stain
Right Top Back Cover Lite Stain
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
Staple Recessed
Staple Rusted
Top Spine Wear

Thanks (pics below)

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

TOS 39 back middle.jpg

TOS 39 corner.jpg

TOS 39.jpg

Let me just say that the ONLY item in that long list that can be helped with a press would be the rippling/warping. Your book is an old label, graded a long time ago. In all honesty, with all that is going on with this book, 5.0 is a generous grade. You have a tape pull, rusty staples, stains, among many other flaws. You can show your book in the Please Grade My thread and see what others think but I think 5.0 is about right with no chance of 6.0 .

It looks like there is a long, light bend on the bottom right of the FC. At least five inches long and doesn't break color. This isn't mentioned in the grading notes.  Combine that with the warping of the back cover, one would hope for a decent chance at a grade improvement. But just looking at the pictures and the grading notes, it seems unlikely to go up to 6.0. Such would be more luck than skillful planning. 

But the big issue with pressing the book is also in the grading notes. A small tear at the bottom staple, a recessed staple and a staple rusted. All of these things weaken the paper where the staples are at. One would have to see in hand to be for sure, but this sounds like a higher risk press, with a small chance of the cover detaching from a staple. Given that 5.5 is a wash financially and 6.0 seems unlikely, this appears on the information available to best be left as is. 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:19 PM, Tony S said:

It looks like there is a long, light bend on the bottom right of the FC. At least five inches long and doesn't break color. This isn't mentioned in the grading notes.  Combine that with the warping of the back cover, one would hope for a decent chance at a grade improvement. But just looking at the pictures and the grading notes, it seems unlikely to go up to 6.0. Such would be more luck than skillful planning. 

But the big issue with pressing the book is also in the grading notes. A small tear at the bottom staple, a recessed staple and a staple rusted. All of these things weaken the paper where the staples are at. One would have to see in hand to be for sure, but this sounds like a higher risk press, with a small chance of the cover detaching from a staple. Given that 5.5 is a wash financially and 6.0 seems unlikely, this appears on the information available to best be left as is. 

Yes. A 6 inch diagonal crease, lower f.c. area. And even if that presses out to just leave a very faint semi-flaked line, with that top left corner, this isn't going past 5.0, .

Agree with others...it's a gamble I wouldn't take...

Book presents well though, with an old label to boot. Vertical centering is great, and horizontal isn't bad (if you aren't familiar, look for posts about the blue under the table of the bottom left panel, and the quotation on the right edge).The label note is unfortunate, but the worst part....the rusted staple. 

Regardless, terrific book...I say enjoy as-is...