• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

professionalism and intellectual honesty
1 1

63 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Some facts :

This was The Artist's Choice website in 2006 : https://web.archive.org/web/20060207021839/http://www.theartistschoice.com/

Now look at the current site : http://www.theartistschoice.com/

Notice how the list of artist was way longer then ?

That is not the look of success ...

comix4fun, you said  :

I don't believe this is true ... It may have been, a long time ago ... but not currently.

A lot of his inventory has already been sold ...

This is not an issue with success.  I know for a fact if spencer wanted to, he could have a lot more artists in his stable.

He's been doing this for a long time and there have been public comments (either through him or or people that know him well) that he is slowing down his OA business.

3 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

This is not an issue with success.  I know for a fact if spencer wanted to, he could have a lot more artists in his stable.

He's been doing this for a long time and there have been public comments (either through him or or people that know him well) that he is slowing down his OA business.

Considering Spencer's message to the world included this, "family health crisis after crisis, exceptionally long hours at my day job", it's not hard to believe that he could/would want to step back from the whole thing in part or whole for reasons other than success (or lack thereof).

I don't know which shows for 2019 but the Artist's Choice used to do several shows a year --and they would bring a ton of art -- it was nice being able to go through all those stacks.  Almost every time I would end up buying something.

13 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

I don't know which shows for 2019 but the Artist's Choice used to do several shows a year --and they would bring a ton of art -- it was nice being able to go through all those stacks.  Almost every time I would end up buying something. 

I'd settle for flipping through art at the Artist's Choice booth, rather than ordering during the sale. 

But the site doesn't mention their convention schedule.  Anyone know which shows they will attend in 2019?

19 minutes ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

I'd settle for flipping through art at the Artist's Choice booth, rather than ordering during the sale.

Which is another way of saying you prefer paying 20% more or higher to avoid dealing with the Spencer's site and related mail order headaches ;)

#winningcustomerservice #oustandingprofessionalism

20 minutes ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

But the site doesn't mention their convention schedule.

Of course not lol

On 1/29/2019 at 10:34 AM, vodou said:

Which is another way of saying you prefer paying 20% more or higher to avoid dealing with the Spencer's site and related mail order headaches ;)

#winningcustomerservice #oustandingprofessionalism

Of course not lol

He didn’t have the artists art I wanted to see at NYCC 2017. Womp womp.

On one hand some of you say he's a rep and does not necessarily have the art with him, and on the other hand some other say it's easier to catch him at a con and flip through art. There's something I don't understand. (:

But at least I now have an idea why he's the ONLY dealer to have blacklisted ComicArtTracker servers... maybe it's because it gave him too much work :bigsmile:

On 1/28/2019 at 4:54 PM, vodou said:

Yes, to clarify representatives carry art on consignment for a fee (one way or another)...which can get sticky when people disappear with the art or the rep's in major financial trouble and the creditors (and courts) are viewing the consignments as "inventory". It happens too much, bad stories, in fine art.

Laws Governing Art Consignment

Nothing revelatory there.  In the context of Comix4fun's post it sounded like there was something significant to learn.  In any rate, most of these guys are "reps" for a subset of artists, but also "deal" in other artists' art.  So then what is Artists' Choice...?  Both?  Romitaman seems to be one who is strictly a dealer.  I still don't understand why an artist would sign on with a rep and be ok with that rep not having an understanding of how they work and have boilerplate language they can throw at guys like me.  I'm sure there are exceptions for reasons hitherto unknown, but on the whole it doesn't make much sense to me if I'm trusting someone to "represent" my work.  This is an unnecessary barrier to sales.  Sounds like most customers just don't ask much aside from "is page X available"?

1 hour ago, NicoV said:

On one hand some of you say he's a rep and does not necessarily have the art with him, and on the other hand some other say it's easier to catch him at a con and flip through art.

My understanding is that some of the artists send him their inventory, but others keep it with them. There are certain artists that are not in his convention setup.

7 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

Nothing revelatory there.

I doubt anybody other than myself (and maybe you?) knew that consignments can/will disappear in dealer (or rep) bankruptcy.

The UCC provides that the gallery's creditors can seize your consigned goods to pay for the gallery's debts. All of the gallery's creditors stand in line to collect before you. If there are funds left after the creditors are paid, the judge in bankruptcy court can award you compensation for your art. If the gallery has a lot of debts or there are too many artists to compensate, you may see little or no compensation for your art.

Not revelatory?

11 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

Romitaman seems to be one who is strictly a dealer.

Wrong. He definitely handles collector consignments, including pieces from artists collection (by other artists). I'm not aware that he directly represents or accepts consignments from artists of their own work. Which doesn't mean it isn't happening.

13 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

I still don't understand why an artist would sign on with a rep and be ok with that rep not having an understanding of how they work and have boilerplate language they can throw at guys like me.  I'm sure there are exceptions for reasons hitherto unknown, but on the whole it doesn't make much sense to me if I'm trusting someone to "represent" my work.  This is an unnecessary barrier to sales.  Sounds like most customers just don't ask much aside from "is page X available"?

There are just too many examples of people all over doing all sorts of things that farm out a piece of their business to somebody else, based on a generally good reputation, a decent web site, and a sales pitch only to later pull that business back in or sent to somebody else instead. The vetting isn't being done very well or at all. Comic artists are notorious for having little respect for their own work and it's post-production value and interest to collectors, it's still seen a byproduct that may or may not pay off while the next job definitely does pay...getting paid often and sooner rather than later would be the expected priority for freelancers. Comic artists seem to be, to me, particularly naive and/or lackadaisical about the handling of their work by others too. Maybe it's all artists though? Likewise comic art dealers and reps seems to be much closer to their fan-first roots -on the whole- than competing for the SBA service of the year award or anything like that. This is not a surprise (nor revelatory) to those that have been around for a while; I think you have not been? Doesn't make it right though and I certainly do not reward bad (unprofessional) behavior with future business. But many collectors do not care, possibly even enjoy the abuse (?), as long as they get the art they want in the end. The rest comes deep second or not at all as a priority for collectors. Clearly, the comments of comix4fun reflect that he himself feels that way!

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

I did the dirty and put in an order.

how long before we start the thread about when we get responses?

Your call but I think a new thread is not needed. This one can be, if that's what the community wants, a catchall for all discussions relating to professionalism and intellectual honesty or the lack of it...regardless of the dealer, rep, artist, collector, auction house, etc that's the subject. I mean...why not?

48 minutes ago, PGEAR12 said:

Was just on Artists Choice website. A page I bought about 10 years ago is still listed as for sale.

Offering something for sale that you do not own, possess, or even have access to...for nearly a decade...the mark of professionalism.

4 hours ago, vodou said:

But many collectors do not care, possibly even enjoy the abuse (?), as long as they get the art they want in the end. The rest comes deep second or not at all as a priority for collectors.

I stopped buying from The Artist's Choice a long time ago but more recently stopped visiting Romitaman's site as well. I just didn't like the revelations/discussions that came out last year or so about what looked like shilling and such. I was a bit dismayed at one of the last comic art cons to see that he had a MCP Sam Kieth piece prominently displayed and I would like to own one in the future; I hesitated about even going over to see it but in the end decided I would just gauge the price for future comps and made a quick fly-by. I haven't consciously made a hard and fast decision on him really but no longer read his email announcements or visit his site looking for art to buy. I have enjoyed buying from him on time payments in the past and it hurts a bit to let that go but I think that I have moved on. Maybe posting this will make the decision more rigid, especially if he sees it and doesn't like it! (I know there are collectors who like to alert artists & dealers & reps to these things, out of the kindness in their hearts of course!)