• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For those that have read Wolfmans TOMB OF DRACULA vol 1...
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Thoughts?

I love the character.  I absolutely love the art.  I like how it's a "contained" storyline and good size (70 issues).  I love it falls in with the bronze age horror.  I love how there are notable comic creators on the book and the covers are AMAZING!

But I haven't read it.

How's the storyline?

(Note:  I have some high grade issues, and have access to many others and have been debating just picking up the entire run in fairly high grade).

I personally enjoyed the run but my only criticism  (and it's a minor thing)  is that Dracula complains several times about being "interrupted" in his work by the individuals that would like to see him gone but you never really know what he's up to, other than trying to avoid being spiked. Colan at his best. I do not think you'll regret it.

Edited by ninanina
missing word

The first few issues are average, unexceptional, but improves greatly once Wolfman takes over writing, and then becomes one of the most consistent, high-quality comics of the Bronze Age. 

It’s a very good read. It has a good ongoing storyline. There are interesting new characters like Blade, Janus, and Dr. Sun. There are solid crossovers with WWBN and Dr. Strange. Silver Surfer even makes an appearance.

The series was ended prematurely, but it wasn’t a big disappointment.

I would suggest giving it a shot.(thumbsu

15 minutes ago, electricprune said:

It’s a very good read. It has a good ongoing storyline. There are interesting new characters like Blade, Janus, and Dr. Sun. There are solid crossovers with WWBN and Dr. Strange. Silver Surfer even makes an appearance.

The series was ended prematurely, but it wasn’t a big disappointment.

I would suggest giving it a shot.(thumbsu

I think they discussed in the books letter page that one of the creative team was going to leave the book and rather than continue without him they were just going to end it. The book was consistently high quality once Wolfman, Colan and Palmer joined up.

I’m reading the Omnibus right now. I’d agree that the story doesn’t really flow well until Wolfman comes in. I’m 18 issues in and it’s not bad. 70’s comics can be a bit of a chore to read sometimes (for me anyways) and this one has been going okay. I think the conflicts and dialogue can be somewhat repetitive. Dracula has some corny lines sometimes but I enjoy chuckling at it. Art is great, obviously. And it’s cool to read the origins of Blade. 

On 1/29/2019 at 7:49 AM, boomtown said:

I think they discussed in the books letter page that one of the creative team was going to leave the book and rather than continue without him they were just going to end it. The book was consistently high quality once Wolfman, Colan and Palmer joined up.

Yep!  Once the dream team got together, it was consistently good.  I enjoyed the entire series and would rank the Wolfman/Colan/Palmer run on the title as one of my top 10 all-time favorites. 

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I'll definitely check it out.  As I said, I love the art, character and genre so I was worried I'd be really disappointed and it would distort my view of Dracula but I think it's worth checking out and collecting.

11 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Last 35 issues are better than the first 35 issues. It really starts to pick up with issue #25 when Hannibal King comes on the scene.

Image result for Hannibal King gene colan

Although I'm digressing into Copper Age, the OP should follow up reading the Tomb of Dracula run with Roger Stern's excellent Montesi Formula story in Doctor Strange 58 to 62, which has King in a significant role.