• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade this Catman #11!

16 posts in this topic

Bright book with electric colors; everything is attached. A few significant flaws though: a sizeable spine roll that fans the pages in the back, and a long tear that goes up through Catman's crotch (ouch). What say you?

catman11.jpg.548d826afefb557c8d86694e3eba2957.jpg

catman11back.jpg.4d0c2e1566b491adc257be492b169dbf.jpg

I guess the answer you want is a numeric grade, so....my big question is how bad is that tear in-hand and does it keep it from 4.0 on a good day GA curve? I'd like to think 3.5-4.0 because so many other aspects seem so strong but who knows how the tea leaves get read on a given day? Without pulling out my Overstreet grading guide and reading each entry in my suspected range, I think between 3.0-4.0 but I like/lean to the higher end of that.

Of course, the grade in my heart is, "Who cares? It's Catman 11 with vibrant colors! Congrats! :banana:"

36 minutes ago, Phill the Governor said:

I wouldn't be surprised at a 4.0 as is and a 5.5/6.0 without the roll

Cool, thanks guys! I tend to think the long tear will keep it out of those high numbers, but narrowly. It's a pretty one.

Hi all,

So this was the other book that I asked Phil (board name @Phill the Governor ) to press for me. I always thought this would be a great pressing candidate, as the book's brightness and freshness are off the charts and the spine roll was the worst thing about it. I'm thrilled with the results; it looks and feels like a different book. Thanks Phil! (thumbsu  He also used an archival seal on that long cover tear, making it virtually invisible unless you really look for it.

I've posted the new scans below; compare to the old ones in the first post. Anyone want to try their hand at a revised (conserved I guess, due to the tear seal) grade?

catman11redo.jpg.41f7551d967a8cc30f5455f91c54889a.jpg

catman11redoback.thumb.jpg.f2f329555290c93efb7bfce40241eaac.jpg

Edited by Point Five

On 3/13/2019 at 9:00 PM, D84 said:

Beautiful after the press, but hard to grade with the tear.

It has nice eye appeal after the press, but with that long of a tear, I'd still cal it a 3.0. If I bought a VG book sight unseen out of a catalog and received one with that big of a tear, I know I'd be pretty upset.