• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An attempt was made?

4 posts in this topic

Armed with fresh knowledge about pressing and cleaning, I reinspected the comics now in my possession and noticed that a few of them may have been cleaned and/or pressed. As you can see in the pics, It looks like some color bled from front and back cover through to their respective inside pages. Was this a failed attempt at cleaning?  I thought it was weird that only the red color bled through. How does it affect the grade? The back cover looks as blurry and faded in person as it does in the picture.

So far, I've had 18 comics graded. One golden age comic came back with an amateur restoration grading. I had no clue it was restored. I can't even see it.  The majority of the other comics I sent out in the first batch we're silver age, so maybe they were in better condition, not needing restoration. Before I have anymore comics graded (all golden age), should I get a black light to see if restoration has been done? Since restoration seems to be taboo, I'm not sure if it would be worth them getting graded and encapsulated.

Thanks in advance for your input!

20190116_201539.jpg

20190116_201512.jpg

20190116_201527.jpg

20190116_201347.jpg

Edited by emme_jay
Grammer/clarification

2 hours ago, emme_jay said:

Armed with fresh knowledge about pressing and cleaning, I reinspected the comics now in my possession and noticed that a few of them may have been cleaned and/or pressed. As you can see in the pics, It looks like some color bled from front and back cover through to their respective inside pages. Was this a failed attempt at cleaning?  I thought it was weird that only the red color bled through. How does it affect the grade? The back cover looks as blurry and faded in person as it does in the picture.

So far, I've had 18 comics graded. One golden age comic came back with an amateur restoration grading. I had no clue it was restored. I can't even see it.  The majority of the other comics I sent out in the first batch we're silver age, so maybe they were in better condition, not needing restoration. Before I have anymore comics graded (all golden age), should I get a black light to see if restoration has been done? Since restoration seems to be taboo, I'm not sure if it would be worth them getting graded and encapsulated.

Thanks in advance for your input!

20190116_201539.jpg

20190116_201512.jpg

20190116_201527.jpg

20190116_201347.jpg

If you're referring to the reddish pink coloration that permeates through to the inside from the red inks on the outside of the covers, no. In my opinion, it's not from pressing. I've seen that many times on books straight out of being stored since the 40s/50s (original owner collections).

The red inks seem to favor saturating through like what you see here. I think that color ink contains chemical properties that favor it being prone to this occurring; reacting with the acid of the pulp paper. Joey Post would be the best to comment on whether or not heat/moisture might exacerbate this latent tendency, I'm just not 100% sure if this may also be somewhat of a pressing issue. I don't think so, but Joey would be best suited to either corroborate my opinion or explain otherwise.

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

you're referring to the reddish pink coloration that permeates through to the inside from the red inks on the outside of the covers, no. In my opinion, it's not from pressing. I've seen that many times on books straight out of being stored since the 40s/50s (original owner collections).

Yes, that was what I was referring to. This was the only comic in the collection of about 40 golden age comics that had this issue. I thought maybe he did something different to this one.

8 hours ago, emme_jay said:

Yes, that was what I was referring to. This was the only comic in the collection of about 40 golden age comics that had this issue. I thought maybe he did something different to this one.

Though I have a good sense; a good understanding of what pressing can and can't do with respect to optimizing a book's appearance, I'm woefully ignorant about the actual hands on technical intricacies of pressing. Though this ink permeation is something I've seen many times before on vintage virgin books, I don't know if the same type of conditions seen here might be able to be caused by the heat and moisture of pressing. Forum member Joey Post is amazing. He probably knows as much about the intricacies of pressing as anybody on the planet. PMing him and asking him for a look at it might gain you the type of insight that I may be missing in formulating an opinion on whether or not this can be caused by pressing as well as the chemical components of that ink and the acidity of the paper!