• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New X-Men #133 - 1st appearance of Dust

23 posts in this topic

Hey there :3

We still don't exactly know a great deal of the films which Marvel have planned in the future, most notably since the acquisition of Fox's X-Men and Fantastic Four characters; but I was recently thinking what if they plan to add Dust into the mix within the Marvel Cinematic Universe once the X-Men come in the frame? There aren't that many Muslim characters in the MCU and we know Kevin Feige has planned to diversify the platform, to which he has even stated he plans on including Kamala Khan sometime after the events of Captain Marvel (2019).

Would New X-Men #133 be a comic to keep on one's radar? It's 17 years old and presently can be obtained had a rather ridiculous price and god knows what would occur if Dust is revealed as a potential inclusion in Marvel's X-Men films.

Yay or nay?

Many thanks ^_^

9 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

We still don't exactly know a great deal of the films which Marvel have planned in the future, most notably since the acquisition of Fox's X-Men and Fantastic Four characters; but I was recently thinking what if they plan to add Dust into the mix within the Marvel Cinematic Universe once the X-Men come in the frame? There aren't that many Muslim characters in the MCU and we know Kevin Feige has planned to diversify the platform, to which he has even stated he plans on including Kamala Khan sometime after the events of Captain Marvel (2019).

Would New X-Men #133 be a comic to keep on one's radar? It's 17 years old and presently can be obtained had a rather ridiculous price and god knows what would occur if Dust is revealed as a potential inclusion in Marvel's X-Men films.

Yay or nay?

Many thanks ^_^

There are so many X-Men that have appeared in films that it might not do a whole lot in terms of value. The major players in X-Men have been established for about 30 years. The only one since then that I would put some money into would be Fantomex.

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There are so many X-Men that have appeared in films that it might not do a whole lot in terms of value. The major players in X-Men have been established for about 30 years. The only one since then that I would put some money into would be Fantomex.

#1 on Fantomex. I remember when #128 was all the rage. I would love to see Marvel or someone do an Uncanny X-Force movie with Remender's material.

Definite nay. Kamala is the only Muslim in the MCU that has value. Dust was poorly created and she hasnt been of much relevance since her creation. Yes, it’s possible for her to show up in an X-Men movie but it’ll only drive up her 1st appearance from $1 to $10. 

Edited by djinn155

13 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Why Fantomex?

3 hours ago, djinn155 said:

Definite nay. Kamala is the only Muslim in the MCU that has value. Dust was poorly created and she hasnt been of much relevance since her creation. Yes, it’s possible for her to show up in an X-Men movie but it’ll only drive up her 1st appearance from $1 to $10. 

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but I would be curious if your answer would be similar if someone asked you about Rocket Racoon a few years back (before his appearance in Annihilation: Conquest for example); not that I'm suggesting both characters are the same ~

Edited by Bart Allen

7 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Why Fantomex?

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but I would be curious if your answer would be similar if someone asked you about Rocket Racoon a few years back (before his appearance in Annihilation: Conquest for example); not that I'm suggesting both characters are the same ~

Fanotmex is a fan favorite. Even after all of these years of the hype dying down, his first appearance still sells for $20. You would be luck to squeeze $20 out of the first Jubilee and she's been fairly well received. Fantomex, as was previously mentioned, was also the major player in the Remender X-Force run which is considered a classic run.

17 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Fanotmex is a fan favorite. Even after all of these years of the hype dying down, his first appearance still sells for $20. You would be luck to squeeze $20 out of the first Jubilee and she's been fairly well received. Fantomex, as was previously mentioned, was also the major player in the Remender X-Force run which is considered a classic run.

Fantomex is the Gambit that doesn't suck.

21 hours ago, ygogolak said:

20 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

Fantomex is the Gambit that doesn't suck.

Fascainting haha ^_^ 

On 1/29/2019 at 1:20 AM, Bart Allen said:

Yay or nay?

Many thanks ^_^

Noticed some of your other posts about label updates, you seem awfully invested in tagging 1st appearances. Im just curious what the big deal is.

To me a first appearance is significant if people like the character and there is a decent story behind it, like the popularity of weapon H (which I dont realy care for btw). Having/holding on to 1st appearance for a revolving door of characters doesnt really makes sense to me. Look at Caliban, Negasonic teenage warhead, both in movies, both just mediocre 1st appearance books.

Are you just trying to hedge your bets on all the possible 1st appearance in case someone gets popular. Again, just curious not bashing or anything.

4 hours ago, Avi said:

Noticed some of your other posts about label updates, you seem awfully invested in tagging 1st appearances. Im just curious what the big deal is.

To me a first appearance is significant if people like the character and there is a decent story behind it, like the popularity of weapon H (which I dont realy care for btw). Having/holding on to 1st appearance for a revolving door of characters doesnt really makes sense to me. Look at Caliban, Negasonic teenage warhead, both in movies, both just mediocre 1st appearance books.

Are you just trying to hedge your bets on all the possible 1st appearance in case someone gets popular. Again, just curious not bashing or anything.

I'm not the OP, but my personal philosophy is for $1 or less, why not? Over the course of a year of bin digging, I may pick up 5 to 10 copies of any of these books, so my investment is practically nothing. Throw them in a box (well, don't THROW them...) and if they pop down the road, great! If not, well, it's just another comic sitting in the box. If you have thousands of comics, another short box of cheap first appearance gambles isn't gonna take up that much more space.

I said this in another thread earlier this week, but Morrison's X-Men run is full of these weird character first appearances, and aside from Fantomex 128/129, you can still find them for next to nothing. Show me a Half Price Books store, and I'll show you a bin full of issues of New X-Men! The risk is very low, the reward is potentially great. I picked up bunches of 128/129 sets over the years for 50 cents or a buck, and sold them for anywhere from $10-$40 + (when the book was really hot). People may not care about the book now, but you never know when a new writer is going to come onboard and make that character a central player, or a decision is made to put the character in the background of a movie. Look at all those worthless X-Force books that popped when the Deadpool 2 rumors started coming in. You wouldn't want to pay "full market" price for, say, the first appearance of Bedlam; but if you happened to have picked one up for a dollar, you did pretty well in that short window when you could get $15-$20 for them.

At the end of the day, it's all about whether or not it's worth your time. These are small potatoes. No one expects Quentin Quire or the Stepford Cuckoos are going to become the next Venom or Wolverine. But if you can pick up their first appearances for $1, stick 'em in a box for two or three years, then some day an announcement his that turns it into an overnight $10-$25 book, why not do it? I enjoy bargain bin digging, and if just gives me something new to look for.

38 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I'm not the OP, but my personal philosophy is for $1 or less, why not? Over the course of a year of bin digging, I may pick up 5 to 10 copies of any of these books, so my investment is practically nothing. Throw them in a box (well, don't THROW them...) and if they pop down the road, great! If not, well, it's just another comic sitting in the box. If you have thousands of comics, another short box of cheap first appearance gambles isn't gonna take up that much more space.

I said this in another thread earlier this week, but Morrison's X-Men run is full of these weird character first appearances, and aside from Fantomex 128/129, you can still find them for next to nothing. Show me a Half Price Books store, and I'll show you a bin full of issues of New X-Men! The risk is very low, the reward is potentially great. I picked up bunches of 128/129 sets over the years for 50 cents or a buck, and sold them for anywhere from $10-$40 + (when the book was really hot). People may not care about the book now, but you never know when a new writer is going to come onboard and make that character a central player, or a decision is made to put the character in the background of a movie. Look at all those worthless X-Force books that popped when the Deadpool 2 rumors started coming in. You wouldn't want to pay "full market" price for, say, the first appearance of Bedlam; but if you happened to have picked one up for a dollar, you did pretty well in that short window when you could get $15-$20 for them.

At the end of the day, it's all about whether or not it's worth your time. These are small potatoes. No one expects Quentin Quire or the Stepford Cuckoos are going to become the next Venom or Wolverine. But if you can pick up their first appearances for $1, stick 'em in a box for two or three years, then some day an announcement his that turns it into an overnight $10-$25 book, why not do it? I enjoy bargain bin digging, and if just gives me something new to look for.

I completely agree with your strategy. My (not so obvious) question earlier was more as to why the OP has multiple threads with CGC label update requests for lots of these characters. I can understand stashing multiple books and waiting for the right time to get them graded and resell. It just seems odd to me to get this done now, like right now, for lots of these characters.

On another note, does overstreet label these lesser known characters and first appearance issues?

31 minutes ago, Avi said:

My (not so obvious) question earlier was more as to why the OP has multiple threads with CGC label update requests for lots of these characters. I can understand stashing multiple books and waiting for the right time to get them graded and resell. It just seems odd to me to get this done now, like right now, for lots of these characters.

Yeah, most of the characters requested are even more irrelevant than CGC's issue notes, which is saying something.

23 minutes ago, Avi said:

On another note, does overstreet label these lesser known characters and first appearance issues?

Of course not. Overstreet has to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to acknowledge nearly anything post-1980. I imagine Bob thinking "I can't believe I have to price these above the 7th appearance of the Legion" when Copper-Modern keys started exploding.

10 hours ago, Avi said:

Hey Avi :3

Not really, just characters which are underrated or underappreciated to me personally (which there is currently 3 including Dust, the other two being from the 80's and 90's); But if you're referring to the second label updates post I made yesterday, to Bree, then those were the entire suggestions from the below thread created in late 2013 that the Mod's didn't bother to update (not my own 1st comics) but the entire thread lol Here:

It's not all about 1st appearances, but events, writers etc

Edited by Bart Allen

On January 30, 2019 at 1:21 AM, Bart Allen said:

Why Fantomex?

Not being rude, but have you read the Morrison run? Or the Remender Uncanny X-force run? Both runs focus heavily on the character compared to others created during the Morrison run. I would put a better bet on Xorn or Quinten Quire than Dust as Marvel has used them after his run ended. 

14 minutes ago, maraxusofkeld said:

Not being rude, but have you read the Morrison run? Or the Remender Uncanny X-force run? Both runs focus heavily on the character compared to others created during the Morrison run. I would put a better bet on Xorn or Quinten Quire than Dust as Marvel has used them after his run ended. 

You're right ~

On 1/30/2019 at 12:25 AM, djinn155 said:

Considering about a quarter of the world's population is Muslim, I'd say there's room for more than one in any comic universe. The bottom line is whether some writer seems something to explore in a character. Deadpool was pretty generic as created; it took Joe Kelly adding some depth for him to be something interesting. What about the Guardians of the Galaxy? Around for decades, and not the slightest bit important until put in the right hands. The same goes for pretty much any character. It takes a writer wanting to explore a new angle.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:16 PM, divad said:

My Wife hates DUST! :roflmao:

Lmfao lolBut Dust really is like a female Gaara

On 2/7/2019 at 3:48 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Considering about a quarter of the world's population is Muslim, I'd say there's room for more than one in any comic universe. The bottom line is whether some writer seems something to explore in a character. Deadpool was pretty generic as created; it took Joe Kelly adding some depth for him to be something interesting. What about the Guardians of the Galaxy? Around for decades, and not the slightest bit important until put in the right hands. The same goes for pretty much any character. It takes a writer wanting to explore a new angle.

Exactly! I always use the Rocket Raccoon analogy, well in some aspects at least ~ I just have a feeling that Feige may include her in the future MCU films.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:48 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Yeah, my money is on dust being irrelevant. Marvel writers/editors do not have enough insight or background to write dust competently. Kamala had the perfect writer/editor combo to make it successful. Also, kamala has her own series whereas dust will most likely always be part of a team. And I never said that there can only be one Muslim character in the mcu. I was/am using kamala just as a reference because what makes both of these characters unique is their religion and cultural background.