• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Setting book values for submissions
1 1

6 posts in this topic

How does one determine the value of a book to know in which grading tier it belongs?

My first submission was easy because the books were mostly new releases and values hadn’t change dramatically. 

just do your best. I put in the value of the raw books and even if they end up beyond the value of the tier I have not had an issue. They can move a book up a tier but I have not had that happen to me. I put all moderns in the modern tier, even my NM98 that came back 9.8 and it has not been an issue. It is for insurance purposes as well as pricing so keep that in mind as well.

It is tedious, but I look it up in Overstreet, eBay recent sales and GPA (not always all places), plus I throw in my own opinion if it happens to be a book I think might set a record next time an auction comes up.

You may now have a range of arguable values, or all sources may more or less agree.  If they point to the $325-$500 range, I’ll “slide it down” to $300 so it will fit in the Economy tier to save on grading fees. If it’s in the $650 to $900 range, I’ll “slide it up” to $1000 to get maximum insurance value in the Standard tier since I’m going to pay $65 a book anyway.

In addition to considering a range of possible values for a given grade estimate, an added dimension is to vary the grade estimate itself from conservative to loose.

What CGC asks of us (to know what a book will grade, and know what it would sell for) is impossible when you think about it. Never been told I put a book in the wrong tier.  I’d guess it would have to be wildly off in estimated value for CGC to hit you with a higher fee.

I also doubt they refund you if you put it in a tier that post-grading is clear was too high.

2 hours ago, Heronext said:

Never been told I put a book in the wrong tier.  I’d guess it would have to be wildly off in estimated value for CGC to hit you with a higher fee.

I also doubt they refund you if you put it in a tier that post-grading is clear was too high.

It's actually pretty exciting when you get the phone call that your book was bumped because of value. It means your book graded better than you thought. CGC is good about letting you slide up to a point but a bump can happen. 

BTW, it is possible to get a refund on the Walkthrough tier only. That is the tier where they charge you a percentage of the value. If you overgraded your book and they hammered it, it is possible to get a partial refund. I once got one on an AF15 that graded well but got a PLOD. I asked for a partial rebate and they obliged.

Edited by Bomber-Bob