• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

805 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I could be way off base, no doubt.  If I were in charge of an auction house, I would make sure that I wasn't listing books on top of each other.  If you sent me a Mask 1 & 2, and Andy sent me another set, I'd try to sell them in different auctions.  It can make a prospective buyer ask themselves, "When will I ever see another for sale?  I better go all out," not knowing there are 2 more copies set to auction in the next 90 days.

It's the conspiracy theory lover in me. hm 

Heritage's general rule is not to have more than one copy of the same issue in the same grade in the same auction.  Some consignors have indicated getting more exclusive arrangements so your concern has some foundation.  From my past experience in talking with Heritage and other auction houses, they tend to scramble to fill the next auction and only occasionally have a situation where they can time the market.  For what its worth, their explanation rings true to me. 

They also don't appear to spend a lot of time to optimize sales on the off-chance of a consignor earning a couple grand more, which might bring in $300-500 to the auction house.  The small yield to the auction house isn't worth the time or risk.  If there was a backlog of three million dollar copies of Action 1 then that would be enough for them to pay attention to the optimal auction placement.

There are enough copies of Mask and enough run up in the price in the last few years that I can easily see a few copies surface.

On 3/21/2019 at 5:42 AM, entalmighty1 said:

The recent sale of a 0.5 on CL was a different book than the earlier 0.5 on CL.  The first copy had the brittle page designation, and went for more than the copy that sold a couple weeks back with OW pages.

That is correct!

I think that it's about time that these two books are starting to get the recognition that they deserve.  Mask 1 is Cole's best cover, and my favorite GA cover.  I think that prices were depressed for a long time on these two and were ready for a big jump.

2 minutes ago, *paull* said:

I think that it's about time that these two books are starting to get the recognition that they deserve.  Mask 1 is Cole's best cover, and my favorite GA cover.  I think that prices were depressed for a long time on these two and were ready for a big jump.

Couldn't agree more.  The cover to Mask #1 is a masterpiece 

6 hours ago, *paull* said:

Right on, brother!  It's the first GA book I ever bought and it's a keeper. 

img069.jpg

You had great taste to start with that one (thumbsu

On 3/30/2019 at 6:40 AM, comicjack said:

You had great taste to start with that one (thumbsu

Thanks!  I bought this copy during the Gerber GA explosion of the mid-90s.  I didn't have the Gerbers at the time, but I would scour CBG for the auction listings and this cover caught my eye immediately, so I knew that I had to find one for myself.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:25 PM, thehumantorch said:

The cover to Mask #1 is a masterpiece 

I am partial to the outstanding Mask #2 cover but it is only a 2 issue set to collect :cloud9: so collectors will try to buy both.

Another thing about Mask 1 and 2... The title logo with the comedy/tragedy masks is awesome.  Look at how he places the issue number above the left mask and the price above the right mask.  No extra junk.  And I love the typefaces!  Just look at that MASK typeface... eye catching yellow with a thin red line around the letters.  Cole was a brilliant illustrator and designer, and one of the greatest colorists in comics.

3 hours ago, *paull* said:

Another thing about Mask 1 and 2... The title logo with the comedy/tragedy masks is awesome.  Look at how he places the issue number above the left mask and the price above the right mask.  No extra junk.  And I love the typefaces!  Just look at that MASK typeface... eye catching yellow with a thin red line around the letters.  Cole was a brilliant illustrator and designer, and one of the greatest colorists in comics.

Yep, and that's why his best covers are those with minimal text, title, word balloons, etc.,. Just nice and clean, beautiful poster-style covers like the 2 Mask books represent the best presentation of his work. :cloud9:

1 hour ago, drbanner said:

Yep, and that's why his best covers are those with minimal text, title, word balloons, etc.,. Just nice and clean, beautiful poster-style covers like the 2 Mask books represent the best presentation of his work. :cloud9:

Unfortunately a number of his Star books have text blocks on the cover.  Like you said, I prefer his covers with illo and title only.