• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

824 posts in this topic

That BBWT #119 is sick!!!   I bet this one will do well too, even though it's not as high graded.  One of Cole's not top-tier wanted, but still one of his best.  Tough black cover too...

sta14.75a.jpg

Edited by pmpknface

On 4/12/2019 at 6:09 PM, Robot Man said:

Since you disrupted this Mask thread with spider covers, I thought this one might fit in.

But, if you really want to tie it together with Startling Terror #11 and Suspense #8. Any contender would really need to have a "skull" spider as well!

comoutoftheshadows10.jpg

comadvsintounknown33.jpg

I just don't understand why so many people fall into spider webs.  Keep your eyes open people and walk around.

8 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I just don't understand why so many people fall into spider webs.  Keep your eyes open people and walk around.

maybe, just maybe those poor souls were pushed in...GASP!

19 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

The book actually looks nice other than the chunk out of the cover.  What would worry me is the splitting.  Looks like it could get the "brittle" hammer.

Unless that is “white brittleness”, it’s overall PQ doesn’t look too bad.

22 minutes ago, Microbia said:

“white brittleness

Your comment made me laugh. Although, after looking more closely I too would be more afraid of the splitting spine than the pq. The seller does say the page quality is excellent. No better than a 3.0 imho. Very nice book though. 

8 hours ago, pmpknface said:

5 days to go, hard to tell.  I'm guessing around 5k, give or take.  Which makes the ones that just sold on CC a bargain.  This book is out of control!  :ohnoez:

I predict that we see this book in a restored holder in six months.  Most of what is missing is black.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:17 PM, thehumantorch said:

Final hammer?  $7K?

On 4/17/2019 at 8:47 PM,
pmpknface said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mask-Comics-1-1945-Rural-Home-Publishing-Scarce-Classic-LB-Cole-Devil-Cover-/233201276502?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

$3905, so a bit less than everyone was thinking.  It was at $3100 until the last 10 seconds.  I thought about putting a bid in and then it jumped up to the final price. These ebay auctions for non cgc, no return items always scare me a little. Maybe since more Cole issues are coming up for sale the prices are going to stabilize for a bit?  At these prices for low grade issues, I'd rather pay more for a nicer copy.

21 minutes ago, mjoeyoung said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mask-Comics-1-1945-Rural-Home-Publishing-Scarce-Classic-LB-Cole-Devil-Cover-/233201276502?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

$3905, so a bit less than everyone was thinking.  It was at $3100 until the last 10 seconds.  I thought about putting a bid in and then it jumped up to the final price. These ebay auctions for non cgc, no return items always scare me a little. Maybe since more Cole issues are coming up for sale the prices are going to stabilize for a bit?  At these prices for low grade issues, I'd rather pay more for a nicer copy.

So what would you grade this?  2.0?  2.5?  Always hard to tell, but that's a hefty chunk.  If that's going for $4k and a CGC 6.0 goes for $14k, maybe a 4.0 goes for $8k?  May the force be with you my friend!  

20 minutes ago, mjoeyoung said:

Still a pretty price with a chunk out but the rest of the book looked decent.I wouldn't let that price fool you in thinking that book will get any cheaper.

11 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

So what would you grade this?  2.0?  2.5?  Always hard to tell, but that's a hefty chunk.  If that's going for $4k and a CGC 6.0 goes for $14k, maybe a 4.0 goes for $8k?  May the force be with you my friend!  

That is what I was unsure about.  Besides the chunk, the spine and first wrap were split from the top down to the first staple and there appears to be enough tanning around the edges of the covers that a chip come off the back cover, so maybe some slight brittleness there.  Also, the first page has a pretty significant L shaped tear.  So IMHO I'm thinking 2.5 is the ceiling, but what is a reasonable floor? 1.8? 1.5?

Then I looked a little closer and there appear to be some large tears around the missing chunk that aren't listed in the item description.  No tape, but have these been glued?  Has there been other restoration that I can't see? Am I looking at a C-1 Restored 2.5 or less? Has there been other restoration that I can't see?  On top of that, a C-1 6.0 sold for only $4800 last month.

38 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Still a pretty price with a chunk out but the rest of the book looked decent.I wouldn't let that price fool you in thinking that book will get any cheaper.

I don't think the book will get cheaper, but I don't think in this instance my personal equation for "price vs. value" added up.  For me, there were just too many concerns at that price.

There is some group of people that will pay, what for me, would be an inflated price just to own ANY copy of this book, and I think in general there are many ebay buyers who have paid what I would deem as crazy prices for books.  For example, I've been looking to acquire some of the Cole issues in the Ghostly Weird Stories, Startling Terror Tales, etc. and initially these issues were selling very quickly in any grade and over the last few months ebay sellers have raised there prices significantly.  Eventually, they raised the prices to where they are selling at a much slower rate, if at all, and the "buying frenzy" for some issues has died down to the point where they are selling for cheaper than they were initially, at least at auction.  A dealer on ebay is trying to sell a GWS #121 CGC 4.5 for $1140, an issue I won for $633 in grade 5.0 recently.

Now, Mask Comics 1 and 2 do seemingly live in a more rarified air than other issues, so special rules apply, but the prices have to reach a plateau at some point.  Or, I just have to get lucky. :bigsmile:

My personal opinion is that Mask #1 still has lots of room to grow! With only 39 Universal copies on the census and 7.5 being the highes graded copy and with many of those copies having been placed in personal collections leaves very little availability. That along with strong demand will only continue to drive this book up (my opinion). Not only is it a tough book to find but most would say that Mask #1 is L.B.Cole`s most sought after comic. Look at what happened with Suspense #3, not an exact match but most would agree that Suspense #3 is Schomburg`s most sought after comic and Suspense #3 in the last few years has jumped from about 7k for a Cgc 1.0 to 21k for Cgc 1.0 in a 2018 sale. I believe the raw copy of Mask #1 that sold on ebay for $3905 was a great deal for the buyer. I have been selling on ebay for almost 20 years and from my personal experience (my auctions and other auctions) most auctions that end early in the day as the Mask #1 did usually will not bring the full market amount as if the auction were to have ended in the evening time. Without a doubt Mask #1 is a great book to own for many reasons!