• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

805 posts in this topic

The rise with Mask doesn't surprise me just the demand for classic covers in general of late.The journals were the driving force for me when they first came out lots of late nights looking at them.Having been a collector for a long long time i think it was about time certain books caught fire.Those have been highly regarded by me as some of Cole's best work along with my love with black based covers.I have always considered myself a classic cover guy for you can never go wrong with the things that catch your eye.

1 hour ago, cbcnow said:

My personal opinion is that Mask #1 still has lots of room to grow! With only 39 Universal copies on the census and 7.5 being the highes graded copy and with many of those copies having been placed in personal collections leaves very little availability. That along with strong demand will only continue to drive this book up (my opinion). Not only is it a tough book to find but most would say that Mask #1 is L.B.Cole`s most sought after comic.

From your post, it would appear that you are the only boardie here who has answered my question (albeit indirectly) from the other week as to Cole's most valuable book, whether it be Mask 1, Blue Bolt 105, Suspense 8, or what have you.  (thumbsu

Although you are probably correct in your assessment here, it would appear that you might run into some pretty stiff competition with your selection here.  Especially considering that CL had auctioned off a BB 105 for something like $37,500 last summer and there are a total of only 25 graded copies of this book out there.  And although there is a total of 48 universal graded copies of Suspense 8 out there, it should be pointed out that there appears to be no "high grade" copies to date as the highest graded copy is only a CGC 7.5 (either universal or restored) to this current point in time.  hm

On 4/27/2019 at 2:50 PM, comicjack said:

The rise with Mask doesn't surprise me just the demand for classic covers in general of late.The journals were the driving force for me when they first came out lots of late nights looking at them.Having been a collector for a long long time i think it was about time certain books caught fire.Those have been highly regarded by me as some of Cole's best work along with my love with black based covers.I have always considered myself a classic cover guy for you can never go wrong with the things that catch your eye.

(thumbsu

4 hours ago, Mike maio said:

Just saw this thread. Been on the fence for awhile if I should sell or trade my mask 1. A lot of books been coming up lately I want but not sure if I should keep or not. I know prices went high recently on this book. So just torn because I do like this book a lot favorite Cole but the price and potential to grab other books tempting. 

EF95A1A5-CB28-40DC-94F5-E8A36B9ED514.jpeg

This one will always be wanted and other choices may not be in the same field as this book.It is hard to say what will go and what will stay in ones collection all tough choices to make 

On 4/27/2019 at 7:02 PM, lou_fine said:

From your post, it would appear that you are the only boardie here who has answered my question (albeit indirectly) from the other week as to Cole's most valuable book, whether it be Mask 1, Blue Bolt 105, Suspense 8, or what have you.  (thumbsu

Although you are probably correct in your assessment here, it would appear that you might run into some pretty stiff competition with your selection here.  Especially considering that CL had auctioned off a BB 105 for something like $37,500 last summer and there are a total of only 25 graded copies of this book out there.  And although there is a total of 48 universal graded copies of Suspense 8 out there, it should be pointed out that there appears to be no "high grade" copies to date as the highest graded copy is only a CGC 7.5 (either universal or restored) to this current point in time.  hm

I can believe 7.5 is the highest graded Suspense 8.  Tough to find a copy nicer than vg/fn.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:27 PM, Tsp99 said:

I can believe 7.5 is the highest graded Suspense 8.  Tough to find a copy nicer than vg/fn.

I believe it, too.  The spines on the Continental books are an issue.  Very difficult to find one with a cover that isn't chipping and without a fragile spine.

15 hours ago, *paull* said:
On 5/4/2019 at 3:27 PM, Tsp99 said:

I believe it, too.  The spines on the Continental books are an issue.  Very difficult to find one with a cover that isn't chipping and without a fragile spine.

Well, I can think of probably one copy that should in all likelihood should be able to surpass the CGC 7.5 grade level.  :gossip:

All of the Church copies of Suspense Comics have graded out somewhere in the 9's with CGC 9.4 being the most common grade for a Church Suspense copy.  The only 2 exceptions to this were the Suspense 1 which came in at CGC 8.5 and the Suspense 6 (which Chuck had graded as only a Fine copy in his MH Catalogue) which came in at a CGC 8.0.

So, I would suspect that the Church copy of Suspense 8 should be able to easily surpass a grade level of CGC 7.5 whenever it gets unearthed, as almost every other Suspense MH copy has already hit the marketplace.  Especially since Chuck had graded it as a NM+ copy in his MH Catalogue, for whatever that is worth.  hm

Would be amazing to see, and likely the most valuable Cole book in existence. :cloud9:

Think Fishler might have it? I believe at one point he had several of the Church Suspense books.

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I can think of probably one copy that should in all likelihood should be able to surpass the CGC 7.5 grade level.  :gossip:

All of the Church copies of Suspense Comics have graded out somewhere in the 9's with CGC 9.4 being the most common grade for a Church Suspense copy.  The only 2 exceptions to this were the Suspense 1 which came in at CGC 8.5 and the Suspense 6 (which Chuck had graded as only a Fine copy in his MH Catalogue) which came in at a CGC 8.0.

So, I would suspect that the Church copy of Suspense 8 should be able to easily surpass a grade level of CGC 7.5 whenever it gets unearthed, as almost every other Suspense MH copy has already hit the marketplace.  Especially since Chuck had graded it as a NM+ copy in his MH Catalogue, for whatever that is worth.  hm

I'd love to see the Church Suspense 8 since I've never seen one with a really nice spine.  Is there a Church Mask #1 also?  If not, I thought that I recalled a big pedigree having one.... or maybe I'm just confusing it with Suspense 8.

Edited by *paull*

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

I think there's room to go on that auction, and I think that this is a book that is going to explode if it hasn't already. I've always thought that it was one of Cole's best, top 5 likely.  What's the top census copy?  I just zoomed in on the auction photo.... damn!  Look at the that copy!  White spine, super bright colors, super flat and clean.  I have a nice copy, but this one is brilliant.

Edited by *paull*

12 minutes ago, october said:
18 minutes ago, *paull* said:

Is there a Church Mask #1 also?  If not, I thought that I recalled a big pedigree having one.

Yeah, I have it. It's a 9.6, bu has some color touch. 

Color touch.................absolutely no problem.  lol

Go check out this thread in Comics General then, before the Mods shut it down:  hm

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/450827-cgc-needs-to-modify-its-stance-on-color-touch/

22 minutes ago, october said:

Yeah, I have it. It's a 9.6, but it has some color touch. 

Yes, looks like an absolute beauty in the Heritage archives here: :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Mask Comics #1 Mile High pedigree (Rural Home, 1945) CGC ApparentNM+ 9.6 Slight (A) White pages....

Definitely an astute buy on your part if you were the HA purchaser in 2011 since you would have managed to get it cheaper than what the book went for back in 2002 and 2003.  Especially since there's already 3 offers on the book, with the highest one just touching 5 figures now.  (thumbsu

7 minutes ago, october said:
38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Color touch.................absolutely no problem.  lol

Go check out this thread in Comics General then, before the Mods shut it down:  hm

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/450827-cgc-needs-to-modify-its-stance-on-color-touch/

:sick:

Definitely 0.0% chance I would ever have the CT scraped off. 

Of course not!  (thumbsu

Why go to all the time and tedious work to scrape off the color touch when it's so much faster and easier to simply tear off the offending front cover and turf it.  lol  :screwy: