• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

805 posts in this topic

I should point out the Target cover came after the Mask 1. In fairness one can't lay claim to illustrating over 1500 covers and not rely on goto design concepts. And L.B. Cole did come up with some of the most innovative covers in comics history.

4 hours ago, GomerPyleUSMC said:

From a composition point of view, Mask 1 is a variation on a face close up.

Yeah it's a face close up, but it's a damned brilliant face close up!  What book did this before Mask 1?  Context is important.

3 hours ago, *paull* said:

Yeah it's a face close up, but it's a damned brilliant face close up!  What book did this before Mask 1?  Context is important.

I'm sure Cole was not the first to use the menacing face as a focal point surrounded by floating faces and figures. Like other comic artists of the day, he was influenced by the cover art that sold pulp fiction, especially in their use of symbolism (e.g., Uncanny Tales and All Detective to name two titles before Mask 1). The interesting thing is post-war, the pulps moved away from this overt abstraction of good and evil, while Cole doubled down on this style. Why not? Designing a cover with faces can be quicker to design than a cover with a staged scene. It's understandable considering the huge number of covers he had to turn in throughout his career. This is not to take anything away from Mask 1, one of the highlights in his career. 

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Or if want want a higher graded copy and you are also patient enough to wait for another month, you can go for this copy in the upcoming CC Event Auction: :gossip:

thr3.58a.jpg

Very true.  The sale of the 3.0 may set the table for the 4.0.  Love this cover, so much I put it on a t-shirt!  :D 

1 hour ago, pmpknface said:

Mask Comics #2 CGC 6.5.....

$9,600!!!!

Overstreet 2019 FN 6.0 value = $900; VF 8.0 value = $1,980.  :ohnoez:

should i sell my 6.0 now :flipbait:

2 hours ago, comicjack said:
3 hours ago, pmpknface said:

Mask Comics #2 CGC 6.5.....

$9,600!!!!

Overstreet 2019 FN 6.0 value = $900; VF 8.0 value = $1,980.  :ohnoez:

should i sell my 6.0 now :flipbait:

:idea:  NO, you should most definitely be trying to scoop every single one of them up at whatever the going price is so that you can then control the market for these Mask Comics going forward.  hm  lol

Edited by lou_fine

12 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Or my CGC 4.5?  Hell no, they'll just be worth more down the road.  And really, I consider Mask 1 and 2 to be priceless and not for sale.

so did I. Lol

8 hours ago, Artboy99 said:
20 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Or my CGC 4.5?  Hell no, they'll just be worth more down the road.  And really, I consider Mask 1 and 2 to be priceless and not for sale.

so did I. Lol

Since that's past tense as opposed to present tense, does that mean that you have sold your copies off?  hm

3 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Both  :whee:

Hopefully you’re smart enough to keep them... otherwise I’ll take them off your hands!