• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

805 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, piper said:

😐 sorry! You can’t keep everything...

It’s crazy the LB Cole books I was selling for peanuts 5-10 years ago (and yep, Mask 1 was among them). We’ve all been there!

On 8/6/2019 at 8:44 PM, piper said:

Hopefully you’re smart enough to keep them... otherwise I’ll take them off your hands!

Sorry  John, they'd be the last books I'd sell, they are my favorite GA covers.  You have so many nice books already...... I love your sig line.

12 hours ago, Artboy99 said:
On 8/6/2019 at 8:44 PM, piper said:

Hopefully you’re smart enough to keep them... otherwise I’ll take them off your hands!

Hey... this implies I am not smart. :facepalm:

Eh.....the only thing sillier than selling Mask 1 and 2 is selling the best pre code covers.....

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:
18 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Eh.....the only thing sillier than selling Mask 1 and 2 is selling the best pre code covers.....

I think it is more silly to keep debt. I don't regret selling any comics to get rid of it.

I guess it really depends if it's managable short term debt or uncontrollable long term debt.  hm

After all, didn't Chuck end up having to make a big side deal with Burrell Rowe just to get his hands on the $2K in order to acquire the Church collection?  :takeit:

Or Dave making the concious decision to take on some short-term debt in order to acquire the Church Action run after coming out from dental school?  (thumbsu

18 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess it really depends if it's managable short term debt or uncontrollable long term debt.  hm

After all, didn't Chuck end up having to make a big side deal with Burrell Rowe just to get his hands on the $2K in order to acquire the Church collection?  :takeit:

Or Dave making the concious decision to take on some short-term debt in order to acquire the Church Action run after coming out from dental school?  (thumbsu

I acquired debt from buying comics. To me makes sense selling comics to pay it off.

7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
26 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I acquired debt from buying comics. To me makes sense selling comics to pay it off.

Well, taking on managable short term debt from a collector's point of view is also completely different from taking on managable debt from a dealer's point of view.  hm

As a result, they are usually also dealt with and taken care of in completely different ways.  (thumbsu

:bump:

Any opinions as to the pricing on these two Mask Comics which ended on CL last night:

RADEA836201985_125813.jpg

This CGC 3.0 universal graded copy of Mask 1 sold for $4,155 while the CGC 2.0 graded restored copy of Mask 2 below sold for $2,901:

RADDF12F201985_144250.jpg

Seems like a very strong price for the Mask 2, especially considering that it was slabbed as a restored PLOD copy.  :whatthe: :whatthe:

Both looked decent and had nice paper the 2 presents better than the grade and was knocked for the work done.I feel it was a good deal if you want it bad enough and both are classic covers with lots of demand.

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

:bump:

Any opinions as to the pricing on these two Mask Comics which ended on CL last night:

RADDF12F201985_144250.jpg

Seems like a very strong price for the Mask 2, especially considering that it was slabbed as a restored PLOD copy.  :whatthe: :whatthe:

If I had won it, I'd just take the bottom staple out and resubmit it.  Voila, blue label.  The lack of a staple wouldn't affect the grade at all.

30 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

If I had won it, I'd just take the bottom staple out and resubmit it.  Voila, blue label.  The lack of a staple wouldn't affect the grade at all.

And this is why this book should probably have been given a blue label to begin with.  I mean, isn't the excuse they gave for a few of the high grade blue label GA books with notes for "very minor amount of color touch" getting a blue label that the CT was so minute that its removal wouldn't have affected the grade? Well that's pretty clearly the case with this book so why not give it a pass? 

Hopefully the new owner doesn't reward CGC by giving them another ~100$ just to get it in a blue label.

1 hour ago, szav said:

And this is why this book should probably have been given a blue label to begin with.  I mean, isn't the excuse they gave for a few of the high grade blue label GA books with notes for "very minor amount of color touch" getting a blue label that the CT was so minute that its removal wouldn't have affected the grade? Well that's pretty clearly the case with this book so why not give it a pass? 

Hopefully the new owner doesn't reward CGC by giving them another ~100$ just to get it in a blue label.

With the absurd stigma purple labels have, my suspicion is it will get regraded pretty soon, even though it would look pretty great in a mylar after taking the "new" staple out.

53 minutes ago, mjoeyoung said:

I won the Mask Comics 1.  It was my opinion that the cover looked pretty nice (except for the missing chunk) and I was actually a bit surprised I won it after the 6.0 went for $14K.  I only went about 10% over my comfort price. I was priced out of a few others I was interested in so I put all my eggs in this basket.  Comic Connect is currently auctioning the Mask Comics 1 we discussed earlier in this thread that sold for $3905 on Ebay.  It is sporting a Blue 3.0 (higher than I thought it would get) and last I looked the current bid was $6200.  So now I feel like I just stole $2000 from somebody.

Personally I prefer a missing corner to a chunk out of the middle of the top. 

Comic Connect Mask 1 3.0

mas2_39a.jpg.5edcf2a98b6e7d20aa2dffb6963baf5f.jpg

I would say your looking pretty good with that pickup (thumbsu

2 hours ago, mjoeyoung said:

I won the Mask Comics 1.  It was my opinion that the cover looked pretty nice (except for the missing chunk) and I was actually a bit surprised I won it after the 6.0 went for $14K.  I only went about 10% over my comfort price. I was priced out of a few others I was interested in so I put all my eggs in this basket.  Comic Connect is currently auctioning the Mask Comics 1 we discussed earlier in this thread that sold for $3905 on Ebay.  It is sporting a Blue 3.0 (higher than I thought it would get) and last I looked the current bid was $6200.  So now I feel like I just stole $2000 from somebody.

Personally I prefer a missing corner to a chunk out of the middle of the top. 

Comic Connect Mask 1 3.0

mas2_39a.jpg.5edcf2a98b6e7d20aa2dffb6963baf5f.jpg

I suspect the consignor is regretting their choice of auction house right about now.