• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

805 posts in this topic

Great pickup!  And if that Mask 1 on CC is at $6200 now, with 12 days to go it'll end up a lot higher.  You got a great book!  Congrats!  Also, love how I'm wearing my Mask 1 t-shirt while chatting about this right now. :) 

6 hours ago, mjoeyoung said:

I won the Mask Comics 1.  It was my opinion that the cover looked pretty nice (except for the missing chunk) and I was actually a bit surprised I won it after the 6.0 went for $14K.  I only went about 10% over my comfort price. I was priced out of a few others I was interested in so I put all my eggs in this basket.  Comic Connect is currently auctioning the Mask Comics 1 we discussed earlier in this thread that sold for $3905 on Ebay.  It is sporting a Blue 3.0 (higher than I thought it would get) and last I looked the current bid was $6200.  So now I feel like I just stole $2000 from somebody.

Personally I prefer a missing corner to a chunk out of the middle of the top. 

Comic Connect Mask 1 3.0

mas2_39a.jpg.5edcf2a98b6e7d20aa2dffb6963baf5f.jpg

Nice buy.  The copy on CC will likely run higher.

5 minutes ago, mjoeyoung said:

Comic Connect Auction Mask Comics #1 is ON FIRE!  Current bid is $11,422.

Mask Comics #1

Wowza, and that's with still another day to go in the auction plus the 3-minute extended bidding time periods where the real action can get hot and heavy sometimes.  :blush:  :whatthe:

Looks like this CL 3.0 equivalent graded copy got completely rolled over then:

RADEA836201985_125813.jpg

Especially since it had the same OW/W page quality and yet was able to fetch only $4,155 for the consignor in the big CL auction the previous week.  :facepalm:  :(

5 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

The CL front cover looks better.  Somehow the chunk missing is less obtrusive. Not a whole lot of transparency when it comes to bidding at these auction houses but it sure doesn’t look good for CL. 

Well, it'll probably do better in the Exciting 59 face-off with the Schomburg airbrush cover since they were both equivalent CGC 9.0 graded copies with the same OW/W page quality.  hm

Especially since the Overstreet copy available on CC later today has quite a long ways to go to catch up with the CL copy which came in at $1,425 the previous week.  I guess we'll wait and see in a few short hours from now as to who will win this much smaller dustup with respect to the Exciting 59.  :slapfight:  :taptaptap:

25 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Exciting 59

Photo on CC appears to show some tanning along the edges of the front cover.  If true might keep the price down, but I doubt it.  In keeping with the thread I'm expecting the LB Cole covered Catman 28 to push a good deal higher than its current $2171.

8 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:
38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Exciting 59

Photo on CC appears to show some tanning along the edges of the front cover.  If true might keep the price down, but I doubt it.

Being the contrarian that I am, I always like to go to the back cover to double check since I find it so much easier to see the white colors there.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

The CL front cover looks better.  Somehow the chunk missing is less obtrusive. Not a whole lot of transparency when it comes to bidding at these auction houses but it sure doesn’t look good for 

That Mask is my book, it's not being shilled.

6 minutes ago, Diamonddave said:

The CL front cover looks better.  Somehow the chunk missing is less obtrusive. Not a whole lot of transparency when it comes to bidding at these auction houses but it sure doesn’t look good for 

That Mask is my book, it's not being shilled.

Don't believe TA was talking about the book being shilled at all.  (shrug)

From his post, I simply though he was referring more to the strength and depth of the customer base when it comes to certain types or genres of books for these various auction houses.  hm  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

The CL front cover looks better.  Somehow the chunk missing is less obtrusive. Not a whole lot of transparency when it comes to bidding at these auction houses but it sure doesn’t look good for CL. 

Man you just never know, there’s a lot of random weirdness on all these sites.

In February a PL 17 cgc 3.0 went on heritage for $4320... 2 weeks later another 3.0 went on CL for over 8k.

Who knows maybe there are wealthy people who don’t know some of these sites exist and really do miss these almost simultaneous events.

36 minutes ago, Diamonddave said:

That Mask is my book, it's not being shilled

When you quoted my response “doesn’t look good for” you forgot to include “CL”. If I was trying to insinuate schilling I would have said “CC”. Lou Fine understood my meaning. Quite a beautiful book btw.  You must be happy with the result. 

Edited by ThothAmon

27 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

When you quoted my response “doesn’t look good for” you forgot to include “CL”. If I was trying to insinuate schilling I would have said “CC”. Lou Fine understood my meaning. Quite a beautiful book btw.  You must be happy with the result. 

You have my most sincere apologies. It's difficult to infer tone via chat, when I saw "transparency" I interpreted that as "you never know who's doing the actual bidding". 

I'll be pleased if the winner pays and arent running up the price with no intention of paying. 

Again, my humblest apologies for the misinterpretation of your post.

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

They’re talking about it on Instagram too btw...

Hey, maybe that's the main reason why these CGC boards are so quiet nowadays, as compared to say 10 years ago. hm

There's just so many other comic book related message boards out there for collectors to spend their time on nowadays, especially with all of these various social media related platforms sprouting up all over the place.  (thumbsu

On 8/30/2019 at 3:19 AM, mjoeyoung said:

I won the Mask Comics 1.  It was my opinion that the cover looked pretty nice (except for the missing chunk) and I was actually a bit surprised I won it after the 6.0 went for $14K.  I only went about 10% over my comfort price. I was priced out of a few others I was interested in so I put all my eggs in this basket.  Comic Connect is currently auctioning the Mask Comics 1 we discussed earlier in this thread that sold for $3905 on Ebay.  It is sporting a Blue 3.0 (higher than I thought it would get) and last I looked the current bid was $6200.  So now I feel like I just stole $2000 from somebody.

Personally I prefer a missing corner to a chunk out of the middle of the top. 

Comic Connect Mask 1 3.0

mas2_39a.jpg.5edcf2a98b6e7d20aa2dffb6963baf5f.jpg

Wow great pickup mjoeyoung! Congratulations! (thumbsu