• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

824 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, manetteska said:

It was from a private seller, at a good price. The seller also had a Suspense 8 which — if it had been forum rules — I would own as well. If the Mask comic was $8k I would not have even looked at it. 

I was rather upset at how the Suspense sale went down, but maybe I got the better comic in the end? We’ll see. 

Next on my list is selling stuff to make up for this purchase. 

Sounds as though you got yourself a greart deal then if you based it upon the estimate from the other board members here.  :golfclap:

Was the Suspense 8 in pretty much the same condition as your nice looking Mask 1, considering the assigned grade?  Were both of these books officially graded and was the Suspense 8 priced higher than the Mask 1 relative to their assigned grades?  ???

Too bad you wasn't able to pick up both of these classic L.B. Cole covers as they would certainly two gems to have in any collection.  :luhv:

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though you got yourself a greart deal then if you based it upon the estimate from the other board members here.  :golfclap:

Was the Suspense 8 in pretty much the same condition as your nice looking Mask 1, considering the assigned grade?  Were both of these books officially graded and was the Suspense 8 priced higher than the Mask 1 relative to their assigned grades?  ???

Too bad you wasn't able to pick up both of these classic L.B. Cole covers as they would certainly two gems to have in any collection.  :luhv:

I hope it was a great deal, but that the Mask is going anywhere once it arrives. 

The Suspense was also graded by CGC and definitely a great deal. It was graded FN+ universal and priced below the Mask. 

4 minutes ago, manetteska said:
9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I hope it was a great deal, but that the Mask is going anywhere once it arrives. 

The Suspense was also graded by CGC and definitely a great deal. It was graded FN+ universal and priced below the Mask. 

Well, if the Suspense 8 was in Fn+ condition or CGC 6.5 and priced lower than the Mask 1 in CGC 2.0, I personally would have gone after the Suspense 8 first.  (shrug)

Especially since the Mask 1 in CGC 2.0 condition already has 33 other additional copies graded higher, while the Suspense 8 in CGC 6.5 condition has only 7 other additional copies graded higher.  :takeit:

Personally, I also feel that the fire is already burning pretty hot on the Mask books while the fire on the Suspense 8 is just starting up.  It will definitely be interesting to see what the CGC 7.0 graded copy of Suspense 8 goes for in the current Heritage Auctions.  Probably has a good chance to hit 5-figures since it's already sitting at $6,300 with another 5 days to go.  hm  :taptaptap:

At the same time, you definitely can't go wrong with picking up a nice looking copy of Mask 1.  :applause:

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if the Suspense 8 was in Fn+ condition or CGC 6.5 and priced lower than the Mask 1 in CGC 2.0, I personally would have gone after the Suspense 8 first.  (shrug)

Especially since the Mask 1 in CGC 2.0 condition already has 33 other additional copies graded higher, while the Suspense 8 in CGC 6.5 condition has only 7 other additional copies graded higher.  :takeit:

Personally, I also feel that the fire is already burning pretty hot on the Mask books while the fire on the Suspense 8 is just starting up.  It will definitely be interesting to see what the CGC 7.0 graded copy of Suspense 8 goes for in the current Heritage Auctions.  Probably has a good chance to hit 5-figures since it's already sitting at $6,300 with another 5 days to go.  hm  :taptaptap:

At the same time, you definitely can't go wrong with picking up a nice looking copy of Mask 1.  :applause:

The Suspense was my first choice, and I thought I had it. But the seller operated in an odd way and another buyer got it in a bundle purchase. 

Like I said, if it was board rules it would be mine as well.

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

The Suspense was my first choice, and I thought I had it. But the seller operated in an odd way and another buyer got it in a bundle purchase. 

Too bad you wasn't able to consummate the deal on the Suspense 8 as that was definitely the right call between the 2 books from my own personal point of view.  :frown:

On 11/16/2019 at 12:04 PM, lou_fine said:
On 11/16/2019 at 10:55 AM, manetteska said:

Too bad you wasn't able to consummate the deal on the Suspense 8 as that was definitely the right call between the 2 books from my own personal point of view.  :frown:

Well, although we haven't crossed the finish line yet, it would appear that the marketplace might disagree with our personal preference for Suspense 8 over Mask 1.  (shrug)

The CGC 5.5 graded copy of Mask 1 is already approaching 5-figures at $9,600 while the CGC 7.0 of Suspense 8 is at $6,300 and the equivalent CGC 5.5 graded copy is at only a piddly $3,720 in comparison.  :takeit:

Looks like you just might have lucked into the right choice with your copy of Mask #1.  (thumbsu

On 11/18/2019 at 4:41 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, although we haven't crossed the finish line yet, it would appear that the marketplace might disagree with our personal preference for Suspense 8 over Mask 1.  (shrug)

The CGC 5.5 graded copy of Mask 1 is already approaching 5-figures at $9,600 while the CGC 7.0 of Suspense 8 is at $6,300 and the equivalent CGC 5.5 graded copy is at only a piddly $3,720 in comparison.  :takeit:

Looks like you just might have lucked into the right choice with your copy of Mask #1.  (thumbsu

I completely agree, especially with the Mask #1 Cgc 5.5 now at $12,600 with almost 2 days to go!

On 11/18/2019 at 6:41 PM, lou_fine said:

Perhaps having two copies of Suspense 8 ending very close to each other is not helping.

That being said, I am very happy with my purchase; I am a bit biased but I think it presents very well for a 2.0.

It ends up I know the buyer who purchased the Suspense 8, but I don't think I'll be able to pry it from his hands.

1 minute ago, pmpknface said:

$24,000!!!!

#2:  $11,400

Crikey!! :whatthe:

Suspense 8 7.0 went for $7,200

Suspense 11 8.5 went for $5680

Yes, I include the premiums because that's the final price.  Either way....    HOLY ****!!!! especially on the Mask #1!  I was wondering, as a comparison, Silver Streak #6 (classic cover!) at 4.5 went for $15,600.  And you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger LB Cole fan than me but that SS #6 may be a better cover.  I'm shocked.

Edited by pmpknface
More info!