• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

805 posts in this topic

Here is a low grade copy of Mask #1 I will be auctioning raw on eBay next week. Hope it have it up by Tuesday night or sooner. I listed a group pic of some old comics in the Comics Market forum that will get auctioned.

I know this isn't the place to pimp ones books but what the heck. No PM's with offers please. I already have several and have promised it will be auctioned.

Some interior pics also for those that will never get to see inside one since they are almost always slabbed if sold.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.e8fecd251ae1ff4383b92e201dfff2b4.jpg

321579329_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.f5bc9f2b43f31bf0177e882c2b2c610b.jpg

1960365541_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.2bca1e89b9aa67b9d6fdeafc2c2a375b.jpg

179578278_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.28042f721be5f0ce06e7b97a3f10ad6f.jpg

815792092_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.75f4bc4aef4bfdc426edbfa7eaf61b3d.jpg

89466243_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.e47e3b803dfd87a6de60b1533fe98682.jpg

On 11/26/2019 at 2:58 AM, The-Collector said:

In my opinion Suspense 8 is far inferior to either of the Mask books. And I'd bet that Startling Terror 11 has a better chance of exploding than Suspense 8. But I don't really see either taking off to the same degree as Mask. My 2c... 

Personally, I feel that any collector would be lucky to have any of these 4 classic cover books in their personal collection.  (thumbsu

Thinking about this reminds me of the time when I was in Geppi's library during the Diamond Int'L Galleries grand opening and saw though the glass the perfect pairing of the Church copies of Mask 1 and Suspense 8 sitting on the top shelf of the mahogany armoire.  Needless to say, they looked absolutely stunning in vibrant black with their usual Church eye-popping colors.  :cloud9:

Only problem was that both of them were apparently already spoken for or previously set aside for other client(s), similar to what supposedly happened with the Allentown copy of Wonderworld 7.  Looks like they went for what would be considered bargain prices today as the CBM magazine indicates the Suspense 8 sold for $2,400 while the Mask 1 went for $2,800; with the Wonderworld 7 lagging far behind at a "steal me" price of only $1,400, or at the exact same price point as all of the other surrounding Allentown copies of Wonderworld #6 - #10.  :takeit:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Personally, I feel that any collector would be lucky to have any of these 4 classic cover books in their personal collection.  (thumbsu

Thinking about this reminds me of the time when I was in Geppi's library during the Diamond Int'L Galleries grand opening and saw though the glass the perfect pairing of the Church copies of Mask 1 and Suspense 8 sitting on the top shelf of the mahogany armoire.  Needless to say, they looked absolutely stunning in vibrant black with their usual Church eye-popping colors.  :cloud9:

Only problem was that both of them were apparently already spoken for or previously set aside for other client(s), similar to what supposedly happened with the Allentown copy of Wonderworld 7.  Looks like they went for what would be considered bargain prices today as the CBM magazine indicates the Suspense 8 sold for $2,400 while the Mask 1 went for $2,800; with the Wonderworld 7 lagging far behind at a "steal me" price of only $1,400, or at the exact same price point as all of the other surrounding Allentown copies of Wonderworld #6 - #10.  :takeit:

Of course, lots of people would like to own both but that is a far cry from concluding that Suspense 8 should appreciate in the same way as Mask 1 and 2 have. I just don't think Suspense 8 is in the same league as the Mask books. But reasonable minds will differ so it isn't an argument we can resolve. 

On 11/26/2019 at 3:58 AM, The-Collector said:

In my opinion Suspense 8 is far inferior to either of the Mask books. And I'd bet that Startling Terror 11 has a better chance of exploding than Suspense 8

I think Suspense 8 is far superior to both the Masks, though they're all 3 classics.  To each their own.

I'd take you up on that bet with Startling Terror Tales 11 … that's the one not in the same class as the other 3.  It looks like LB Cole took a day off and lazily swiped Suspense 8...and according to the census its far more common, especially in grade.

8 hours ago, szav said:

I think Suspense 8 is far superior to both the Masks, though they're all 3 classics.  To each their own.

I'd take you up on that bet with Startling Terror Tales 11 … that's the one not in the same class as the other 3.  It looks like LB Cole took a day off and lazily swiped Suspense 8...and according to the census its far more common, especially in grade.

Sure.

I don't think either Suspense 8 or Startling 11 are drawn particularly well. 

8 hours ago, szav said:

Red covers always got attention when looking at a comic rack therefore being more common.Everyone has their own opinion but all those books are great compared to some out there :smile:

12 hours ago, szav said:

I think Suspense 8 is far superior to both the Masks, though they're all 3 classics. 

+1, and Ernie Gerber agreed. Suspense 8 is my favorite cover.

Edited by drbanner

16 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Of course, lots of people would like to own both but that is a far cry from concluding that Suspense 8 should appreciate in the same way as Mask 1 and 2 have. I just don't think Suspense 8 is in the same league as the Mask books. But reasonable minds will differ so it isn't an argument we can resolve. 

As you have correctly stated, it would indeed be good to have both a Mask 1 and a Suspense 8 in your personal collection.  (thumbsu :takeit:

Since you are referring to future price appreciation though, based upon how much wider you would have to open your wallet to acquire a Mask 1 in today's red hot marketplace relative to a Suspense 8, I think your percentage gains going forward for the Suspense 8 might win out in the long run.  Especially if you are talking about acquiring a copy in grade since there are no copies of Suspense 8 currently graded above a CGC 7.5, while there are already quite a few copies of Mask 1 in relatively higher grade although they are all restored copies.  hm

14 hours ago, szav said:
On 11/26/2019 at 2:58 AM, The-Collector said:

In my opinion Suspense 8 is far inferior to either of the Mask books. And I'd bet that Startling Terror 11 has a better chance of exploding than Suspense 8

+1

I definitely agree with you that all 3 covers are classic and would be a jewel in anybody's collection. (thumbsu

I also believe the solid black colors on the front covers are what has made it still impossible to find a true HG unrestored copy of any of these 3 books after 20 long years.  :taptaptap:

Personally, I prefer the Suspense 8 for the simple reason that I can clearly see it in my mind whenever I think about the book.  With the 2 Mask books, I can't seem to picture them individually in my mind because I find them both to be so similar and still need to actually refer to the PhotoJournal to see which is which.  (shrug)

As for the Startling Terror Tales 11, you are definitely corrrrect in stating that it is clearly not in the same league as the other 3 books.  Considering the price point which you would have to pay in today's marketplace for a copy of STT 11 , I would much rather go for a book like Witches Tales 12 at a fraction (hopefully :wishluck:) of the price:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Witches Tales #12 File Copy (Harvey, 1952) CGC FN 6.0 Slightly brittle pages....

I imagine the only problem would be trying to find a nice copy since the CGC census population report indicates only 11 graded copies to date as compared to 76 unrestored (plus another 9 restored copies) for the Startling Terror Tales 11.  In fact, the one pictured above is the only graded copy showing in the HA archives and that was from way back in 2006.  :takeit:

On 11/28/2019 at 8:34 PM, Howling Mad said:

Nothing like 4x appreciation inside of a year!

The cLink Mask Comics #2 Cgc 1.8 closed at $5,707 compared to another 'classic' horror/torture cover on Mister Mystery #6 Cgc 5.0 CVA Exceptional that closed at $3,067. <3