• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

824 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2019 at 10:52 AM, lou_fine said:

Personally, I also feel that the fire is already burning pretty hot on the Mask books while the fire on the Suspense 8 is just starting up.  It will definitely be interesting to see what the CGC 7.0 graded copy of Suspense 8 goes for in the current Heritage Auctions.  Probably has a good chance to hit 5-figures since it's already sitting at $6,300 with another 5 days to go.  hm  :taptaptap:

Well, looks like I might have been a bit premature here as it appears somebody must have thrown a couple extra logs into the Mask fire to get it to burn twice as hot as before. Especially since the CGC 6.0 graded Ohio Copy was able to fetched $13,966 in a CC Auction this past March which was deemed to be an already extraordinary price at the time.  Looks like it's definitely not as mindblowing as this slightly lower graded non-pedigree copy going for almost double the price!!!    :whatthe:  :flipbait:

In comparison, it would appear that the fire on the Suspense 8 is still barely starting since it finished only a few bid increments higher from where it was 5 days ago.  Definitely also still a long ways away from hitting 5-figures and looks like it still needs some time to push it over that mark.  Well, either that or a new to market HG copy to hit the auction blocks.  hm :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

Mask #1 and #2 as well as Suspense #8 have always been recognized and in high demand ever since LB Cole was “discovered” by the collecting community. Redbeard was a big promoter of the coolness factor back in the late ‘70’s. I bought both my Mask #1 and #2 from him back in the day, for at the time, pretty aggressive prices. The fact that people now have finally discovered them is no real surprise to me despite the prices they are bringing now. 

22 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Mask #1 and #2 as well as Suspense #8 have always been recognized and in high demand ever since LB Cole was “discovered” by the collecting community. Redbeard was a big promoter of the coolness factor back in the late ‘70’s. I bought both my Mask #1 and #2 from him back in the day, for at the time, pretty aggressive prices. The fact that people now have finally discovered them is no real surprise to me despite the prices they are bringing now. 

Personally I've been very familiar with Mask #1 and #2 since the early 90's when one of my best friends brought them to my attention. Ever since then I've been a huge fan of both books! I just wish that I would have kept all of the copies that I bought and sold over the years. Actually I can say that about a lot of comics but Mask #1 and #2 have been quite elusive over the years and by the way things are looking I feel that any copies that come up for sale will most likely be tucked away in personal collections.

2 hours ago, cbcnow said:

Personally I've been very familiar with Mask #1 and #2 since the early 90's when one of my best friends brought them to my attention. Ever since then I've been a huge fan of both books! I just wish that I would have kept all of the copies that I bought and sold over the years. Actually I can say that about a lot of comics but Mask #1 and #2 have been quite elusive over the years and by the way things are looking I feel that any copies that come up for sale will most likely be tucked away in personal collections.

Is the copy you have on eBay the only copy you own?

On 11/22/2019 at 10:49 AM, cbcnow said:

Very nice looking copy! I have always been a huge fan of Mask #1 & #2 and by the looks of things they are finally beginning to receive the recognition that they both deserve! (thumbsu

+1. Shocking to me that Mask #2 CGC 1.8 on ComicLink already over $5,600 with 9 more days to go.

L.B. Cole masterpiece Mask #2

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

+1. Shocking to me that Mask #2 CGC 1.8 on ComicLink already over $5,600 with 9 more days to go.

L.B. Cole masterpiece Mask #2

Well, they probably figured that if the CGC 4.0 graded copy can fetch $11,400 or almost 23X condition guide, than an entry level CGC 1.8 graded copy should be worth at least that same shocking multiple of condition guide.  hm  :whatthe:

BTW:  Is there even such a thing as a First Print Edition of this book or does Overstreet simply have it wrong in terms of having an April/May 1945 copy listed in his guide?  Both the CGC census population report and the GCD does not indicate the existence of such a book as they only have a listing for the Fall 1945 edition of this book.  ???

On 11/22/2019 at 1:39 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like I might have been a bit premature here as it appears somebody must have thrown a couple extra logs into the Mask fire to get it to burn twice as hot as before. Especially since the CGC 6.0 graded Ohio Copy was able to fetched $13,966 in a CC Auction this past March which was deemed to be an already extraordinary price at the time.  Looks like it's definitely not as mindblowing as this slightly lower graded non-pedigree copy going for almost double the price!!!    :whatthe:  :flipbait:

In comparison, it would appear that the fire on the Suspense 8 is still barely starting since it finished only a few bid increments higher from where it was 5 days ago.  Definitely also still a long ways away from hitting 5-figures and looks like it still needs some time to push it over that mark.  Well, either that or a new to market HG copy to hit the auction blocks.  hm :taptaptap:

In my opinion Suspense 8 is far inferior to either of the Mask books. And I'd bet that Startling Terror 11 has a better chance of exploding than Suspense 8. But I don't really see either taking off to the same degree as Mask. My 2c... 

Edited by The-Collector

9 hours ago, cbcnow said:

Its getting to the point where just about nothing surprises me anymore regarding the continued rise in value of Mask #1 and #2.

The beauty of the L.B. Cole Mask run is that there are only 2 issues collect. Those that have either issue 'have' to buy the other to easily complete :flipbait: the set/pair, as long as one has enough US $$ greenback$.

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

The beauty of the L.B. Cole Mask run is that there are only 2 issues collect. Those that have either issue 'have' to buy the other to easily complete :flipbait: the set/pair, as long as one has enough US $$ greenback$.

5 years ago they were affordable, now far from it.

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, they probably figured that if the CGC 4.0 graded copy can fetch $11,400 or almost 23X condition guide, than an entry level CGC 1.8 graded copy should be worth at least that same shocking multiple of condition guide.  hm  :whatthe:

BTW:  Is there even such a thing as a First Print Edition of this book or does Overstreet simply have it wrong in terms of having an April/May 1945 copy listed in his guide?  Both the CGC census population report and the GCD does not indicate the existence of such a book as they only have a listing for the Fall 1945 edition of this book.  ???

I have never seen one. The #2 I bought was stated to be the rare Apr/ May copy but it is in fact still labelled as "Fall" on the CGC label.

I have asked over the years in other threads about Mask #2 if anyone that has a copy that says anything in the indicia to say the copy is Apr/ May instead of Fall but never did find anyone that had a copy.

My conclusion: it is a Fall only book.

Mask 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

My copy is a Fall copy. But above it is a blacked out indicia that says April-May if you look close. 

Just for fun while I had it out are a couple cool splash pages for you people who are unfortunate to only have two sides to look at. 

Interesting, on the first story is a hero named “Red Crandall”. I immediately thought Reed Crandall...

14980088-3DBF-43F4-8F4E-DC81AB3BC0CE.jpeg

869459E6-8B16-4ECB-9214-D474034E378E.jpeg

AB931387-3685-49F4-85DA-49531131ADD2.jpeg

thanks for sharing. My research is that all Mask #2's look like this.

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I have never seen one. The #2 I bought was stated to be the rare Apr/ May copy but it is in fact still labelled as "Fall" on the CGC label.

I have asked over the years in other threads about Mask #2 if anyone that has a copy that says anything in the indicia to say the copy is Apr/ May instead of Fall but never did find anyone that had a copy.

My conclusion: it is a Fall only book.

Mask 2.jpg

OMG, nice copy dude.  White pages wheeeeeeee