• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

824 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

I'd love to put in a bid on this Cole book, but even as this is rare I can't fathom this starting asking price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspense-Comics-3-1944-L-B-COLE-Gerber-9-rarity-Coverless-w-repro-cover/163984677047?hash=item262e3f98b7:g:zGQAAOSwTvNdudH9

He is a board member and a rather cheap way to have some of the book.The cover sells it but having the insides doesn't hurt either imho :smile:

On 12/5/2019 at 5:32 PM, comicjack said:
On 12/5/2019 at 5:09 PM, thehumantorch said:

I don't think it's a bubble.  We've seen a trend of valuing classic covers higher and I believe it will continue.

Let's hope so :banana:

Definitely hard to say since these kinds of price increases are generally not sustainable longer term.  hm

Just take a look at AF 15 which was going gangbusters there a couple of years ago, but has definitely slowed right back down over the past year or so.  Looks like Hulk 181's was the IT book for last year and the early part of this year, and even this book is starting to level off right now.  

With the GA market, was it not all about Matt baker covers for 2018 before this cycled through to L.B. Cole covers for this current 2019 year.  I strongly believe the comic book market is very cylical which makes me wonder who the new hot GA artist will be for the coming 2020 year.  Will the hyper demand for the Cole books start to level off similar to what happend with the Baker books this year and shift to another old time fan favoeite artist like Raboy with some of his beautiful and classic early Master covers.  (shrug)

Especially since the entire Fawcett line of books have seemingly been banished to the penalty box for decades now and maybe it's their turn to finally have the spotlight shine on them. (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

:bump:

Was checking something earlier about the Hawkeye pedigree collection and I noticed that they mentioned a HG grade copy of Mask 1 being in that collection.

Would anybody here know anything thing about this pedigree copy and if it has ever shown up in the marketplace?  ???

Just wondering if it was an Universal unrestored copy, and if so, I imagine it has not yet been graded since the current highest graded copy is only a CGC 7.5 copy.  hm

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

:bump:

Was checking something earlier about the Hawkeye pedigree collection and I noticed that they mentioned a HG grade copy of Mask 1 being in that collection.

Would anybody here know anything thing about this pedigree copy and if it has ever shown up in the marketplace?  ???

Just wondering if it was an Universal unrestored copy, and if so, I imagine it has not yet been graded since the current highest graded copy is only a CGC 7.5 copy.  hm

I seem to remember Richard telling me he saw a pretty big part of that collection at one point.  Maybe he can shed some light.

@MrBedrock

8 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I seem to remember Richard telling me he saw a pretty big part of that collection at one point.  Maybe he can shed some light.

Actually, I forgot to include the link where I had seen the Mask 1 being highlighted as one of the key books found in the Hawkeye Collection:

http://moocowcomics.blogspot.com/2006/02/hawkeye-pedigree.html

Looks like Joe Smejkal was probably the key player when it came to acquiring the majority of the collection.  I remembered sitting next to him at one of the SD CBM dinners back in the day to honor all of the GA DC creators.  Definitely a nice gentleman and good to hear him talk about his collecting days including some of the Hawkeye books which he had.  He talked about the Hawkeye copy of Punch 10 that he was planning to require, but did not mentioned any other specific books like Mask 1 or Punch12.

It was definitely nice to sit down for dinner and to have the opportunity to talk to one of these old time collectors for a couple of hours. :cloud9:

17 hours ago, pmpknface said:

image.thumb.png.deb33fddd79cf1d1313907363761d76d.png

image.png

The owner of the 1.8 #1 is known to me, $4080 usd for a 1.8. Wow

I paid $1673 in 2013 for a CGC 5.5 that I have sold. I will never own this book again, I just couldn't bring myself to spend $4000 usd on a 1.8 when I owned a 5.5 for less than half of that 7 years ago. Don't sell any books, just keep them. :whee: