• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

805 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Awesome. Seems like only a matter of time until BB 105 catches up to those Mask prices.

Not sure about the BB 105 catching up so soon which I personally think is an absolutely gorgeous si-fi cover, but I would really expect the Suspense 8 with the classic L.B. Cole spider cover to have a much better shot at getting there first.  hm   :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/4/2020 at 3:48 AM, goldust40 said:

Thought I'd mention this sale of Mask 2 on Clink as it hasn't been mentioned...

CGC 4.0 copy sells for $16K

Speaking of Mask #2, does anyboy here know if there are really 2 different editions of this book here or is this one of those intentional errors placed into the guide by Overstreet for copyright purposes?  ???

Just wondering since every copy that I have seen slabbed says that it is the Fall 1945 Edition of the book and have yet to remember seeing the regular #2 scarce and supposedly First edition of the book that's listed in the Overstreet Guide.  hm  (shrug)

4 hours ago, october said:

People poke at my copy yearly. The last try almost got me at $45,000. 

I admit that I would have pulled the pin at that price and put it towards my mortgage.

3 hours ago, october said:
3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

What grade? 

9.6 white slight CT, Church. 

All I can say is that it is certainly nice and long overdue to finally see some of the stigma being removed from these once much dreaded PLOD restored books.  (thumbsu

This is clearly evident through the fact that many of these more in demand and relatively harder to find restored copies of certain GA books are now also fetching once unheard of top dollars in terms of huge multiples to universal unrestored condition guide prices.  :applause:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure about the BB 105 catching up so soon which I personally think is an absolutely gorgeous si-fi cover, but I would really expect the Suspense 8 with the classic L.B. Cole spider cover to have a much better shot at getting there first.  hm   :cloud9:

I could see the Suspense 8 doing that. 
Not that I have high hopes for this book reaching those heights but I’ve always thought of BBWT 111 to be the poor mans PCH alternative to Mask 2. :bigsmile:

Blue Bolt Weird # 111.JPG

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

All I can say is that it is certainly nice and long overdue to finally see some of the stigma being removed from these once much dreaded PLOD restored books.

Somehow I suspect anyone who buys this would be planning to do the CT scrape thing believing the CT is super tiny like I believe it was on a lot of Church books.  Haven’t there been a few where this was done and the book still comes back 8.0-9.0?

Im not advocating For  this, just saying I bet that’s what would happen, and I wouldn’t necessarily jump to the conclusion that the stigma of purple labels is going away any time soon.

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

I saw that book in person long ago it is a thing of beauty with that jet black cover :luhv:

I actually remember being offered this Church copy of Mask 1 to be set aside for me by John Snyder if I would attend the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening way back in '95.  Ended up diddle doddling around so much that I didn't make up my mind to actually go until the night before and by then, the book was no longer available and I assumed had already been set aside for some other collector.  :taptaptap:   doh!

Just checked my copy of CBM and it looks like the book was sold for $2,800 which was probably a pretty stiff price at the time.  Especially if you consider the fact that it was sold for only $3,910 some 8 years later in 2003 in a Heritage Auction as a CGC Apparent 9.4 SA copy and then once again a further 8 years later in 2011 for a slightly lower amount as a CGC Apparent 9.6 SA copy.  Looks like somebody very astute who's now holding onto the book here got themselves a real steal of a deal.  :applause:

Yes indeed, it was an absolute thing of beauty with that jet black cover and when I saw it at the Diamond Galleries opening, what made it really stood out was that it was staged as part of a matching twin set in combination with the jet black Church copy of Suspense Comics 8.  Both of them were sitting up there so majestic on the top shelf inside the glass mahogany cabinet within the dark exquisite Library Room of the Diamond Galleries.  An absolute sight to behold for any true comic book collector with 2 perfectly preserved black classic cover books to feast your eyes upon.  :cloud9:

If I remember correctly although my eyes were glazing over by then, the Church copy of Suspense 8 was equally as nice if not possibly even nicer than the Church copy of Mask 1 sitting there right next to each other.  Looks like whoever the lucky purchaser(s) of these 2 books decided to eventually sell the Mask 1, but not the Suspense 8 as we have yet to see it hit the marketplace to this current point in time.  :taptaptap:   :taptaptap:   :luhv:

56 minutes ago, szav said:

Somehow I suspect anyone who buys this would be planning to do the CT scrape thing believing the CT is super tiny like I believe it was on a lot of Church books.  Haven’t there been a few where this was done and the book still comes back 8.0-9.0?

Im not advocating For  this, just saying I bet that’s what would happen, and I wouldn’t necessarily jump to the conclusion that the stigma of purple labels is going away any time soon.

@october if you were tempted at 45k why not scrape the CT off yourself (which is obviously why these bids are so high) and then see what you could sell for in a blue holder and maximize the profit for yourself?  I'd imagine you could sell for even higher directly here on the boards.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Maybe. I like Contact 12 better than all of them (shrug)

8 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

@october if you were tempted at 45k why not scrape the CT off yourself (which is obviously why these bids are so high) and then see what you could sell for in a blue holder and maximize the profit for yourself?  I'd imagine you could sell for even higher directly here on the boards.

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

Oh God. Don't do it! 

+1

In definite agreement with you here as I would certainly not want to disfigure :eek: and destroy (tsk)an absolutely gorgeous and beautiful looking copy of this book here.  (thumbsu 

27 minutes ago, comicjack said:
34 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Maybe. I like Contact 12 better than all of them (shrug)

I'm with you but some really don't like it they are just weird lol

Well, I guess it's really a case of to each their own then.  (thumbsu

Whenever I see a copy of Contact 12, I almost immediately think of the triple set of Captain Aero 26, Captain Flight 11, and Contact 12 because they all seem to have the same artistic style with the L.B. Cole classic si-fi cover artwork.  hm

Now, if you are referring to Contact 12 more specifically on its own, I personally would much rather have a copy of Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol 2 #1 since it is a much earlier Centaur and also a much much rarer book to boot with a grand total of only a meagre 5 copies graded and slabbed to date so far:  :luhv:  :takeit:

lf?set=path%5B1%2F5%2F6%2F3%2F2%2F15632120%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Speaking of Mask #2, does anyboy here know if there are really 2 different editions of this book here or is this one of those intentional errors placed into the guide by Overstreet for copyright purposes?  ???

Just wondering since every copy that I have seen slabbed says that it is the Fall 1945 Edition of the book and have yet to remember seeing the regular #2 scarce and supposedly First edition of the book that's listed in the Overstreet Guide.  hm  (shrug)

CGC doesn't show it and neither does Grand Comics Database.  Smells like copyright trap to me.

4 hours ago, szav said:

This. 

6 hours ago, dem1138 said:

3 hours ago, The-Collector said:
7 hours ago, szav said:

This. 

Considering that it is an easily recognizable Church copy of Mask 1, how confident are you guys that it would actually sell for more than $45K if sitting in a much lower graded blue slab with the amateur color touched area(s) now clearly and visibly scrapped away?  hm  :p

After all, have we forgotten about the Church copy of Boy Comics 17 which started out as a CGC 4.0 graded blue copy which then morphed itself into a CGC 7.5 graded blue copy, before making its final transformation into a CGC 9.0 graded blue copy at which point it became unsellable and had to be pulled from the auction due to its heightened and very public notoriety.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine