• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

824 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, szav said:

Unless you’re a big fan of broad shouldered lantern jawed women...it’s not my favorite Schomburg cover anyway.

For example, there's no comparison between the gal on Terrific 5 and the one on Startling 49.

9 hours ago, szav said:

Unless you’re a big fan of broad shouldered lantern jawed women...it’s not my favorite Schomburg cover anyway.

From the facial features, looks more like a man wearing a long blonde hairpiece dressed up in woman's clothing. (:

A Mask 1 blue label 2.5 ended on ebay last night at $6411 but didn't reach the reserve. It was relisted for $6995 or best offer. I wonder if the seller regrets putting a reserve on the auction. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

A Mask 1 blue label 2.5 ended on ebay last night at $6411 but didn't reach the reserve. It was relisted for $6995 or best offer. I wonder if the seller regrets putting a reserve on the auction. 

He's also taking offers, for anyone looking for a copy.  It also presents pretty well for a 2.5.

On 1/15/2021 at 8:04 PM, ThothAmon said:

I was interested to see if this book or the Terrific Comics 5 in same grade would finish higher. Was surprised that the Mask won the day by a sizable 2k margin. 

798294FB-2396-40ED-B7A2-4A8C2A021CD4.png

What makes this Terrific 5 a really nice book is the spine.  Very nice for a Continental book.

On 2/3/2021 at 4:15 AM, Ryan. said:

Not sure how eBay works, but if the seller really wanted to sell the book and there was such a minor difference between the final bid and their reserve price, could they simply reach out to the bidder to negotiate something that would make both sides happy?  ???  (shrug)

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure how eBay works, but if the seller really wanted to sell the book and there was such a minor difference between the final bid and their reserve price, could they simply reach out to the bidder to negotiate something that would make both sides happy?  ???  (shrug)

against Ebay policy.

:bump:

Figured it was time to give this thread a long awaited and timely bump as CC has both Mask 1 and Mask 2 in their Event Auction ending next week:  :gossip:

Had posted these questions over in the CC thread, but figure the Mask aficionados here would know a lot more:  (thumbsu

21 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Okay, was flipping through their auction catalogue and noticed a couple of high demand and hot to trot GA classic cover books here, as follows: :cloud9:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/908049

mas2.46.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/908050

mas2.47_2.jpg

Aren't these normally low 5-figures books now in recent auctions in grades even starting from CGC 3.0?  Not sure if I am remembering this correctly or not, but wasn't Mask 1 the first to explode in prices a few years ago, and more recently, Mask 2 has been doing a big time catch up with additional copies coming into the marketplace?   Maybe I'll also post this question over in the Mask thread since the Mask aficionados might know more about these two books here. hm 

Will be interesting to see where these 2 finish up and see which one grabs the gold medal in terms of higher price point.  If Mask 1 is going to do it, I guess it's going to have a bit of running to do to catch up since it's currently stuck at only $3,850 while Mask 2 has already lapped it sitting at a nice fat $8,150.  And guess what people.............no Buyer's Premium on these 2 books for the mathematically challenged, so you pay what you bid.  :banana:

Will definitely be interesting to watch the race between these 2 and see what happens in the end. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Just checked the previous page on this Mask thread here and it appears I might already have my answer.  (thumbsu

Then again, I might not since although the prices for Mask Comics were plateauing or taking a bit of a dip towards the end of last year, with the way prices have shot up on key book with apparently all of the new deep pocketed monies coming into this marjetplace over the past few months, maybe there'll be some new record prices set here.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Of course, maybe those newbie crypto investors, sports cards traders, and NFT speculators with their new found monies are much more interested in readily available uber HG books like Transformers 1 , GSXM 1, and the likes, and not so much into HTF GA classic cover books.  hm  (shrug)

Hmmmm............no response at all which makes me wonder if all of the Mask collectors have left and moved onto more trendy things like NFT's?  :wink:

Anyways for those who might be interested, looks like we got the answer here with Mask 2 being the clear and decisive winner as the CGC 3.0 graded copy of Mask 1 finished up at only $9,600; while the CGC 4.0 graded copy of Mask 2 finished well ahead at $14,754 as posted below:  :applause:

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hmmmm............no response at all which makes me wonder if all of the Mask collectors have left and moved onto more trendy things like NFT's?  :wink:

Anyways for those who might be interested, looks like we got the answer here with Mask 2 being the clear and decisive winner as the CGC 3.0 graded copy of Mask 1 finished up at only $9,600; while the CGC 4.0 graded copy of Mask 2 finished well ahead at $14,754 as posted below:  :applause:

These prices just make more copies come to market :smile:

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

Or the same copies being flipped for a loss of over $1,500 (despite CConnect's blinding color saturation):

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fauctions_first.asp&id=1415033

Edited by drbanner

On 4/15/2021 at 4:51 AM, drbanner said:
On 4/15/2021 at 3:32 AM, comicjack said:

Or the same copies being flipped for a loss of over $1,500 (despite CConnect's blinding color saturation):

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fauctions_first.asp&id=1415033

Well, that's what tends to happen and is totally not surprising at all when you try to buy on an auction site like CL which is based upon last second blind snipe bidding if you really want to win a book.  If you take a look at the CL auction history, it would appear that the winning bidder at a price point of $16,250 for this book here was actually willing to go even higher.   As clearly evident by the fact they actually went and placed an even higher last second Hail Mary bid which luckily for them, did not get activated.  doh!

Being a buyer of books, I would definitely prefer the 3-minute extended bidding format which CC uses because it actually allows you to take a breath, relax, and then decide if you really want to bid that one incrmental step higher for the book or not.  Believe me, 3 minutes is a long long time if you are waiting and hoping that somebody else doesn't hit that bid button on you before the clock winds down to zero.  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Believe me, 3 minutes is a long long time if you are waiting and hoping that somebody else doesn't hit that bid button on you before the clock winds down to zero.  :taptaptap:  

Truer words were never spoken

That and also as my better half would say, if you are the consignor, yet never quite long enough if the clock is ticking down to zero and all you want is just that one more hit.  :wishluck:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine