• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near SEVEN figure mtg art sales

132 posts in this topic

Just now, vodou said:

So far out of your depth :)

I personally don't care. The sign of a serious bubble is people paying these kinds of prices for items in an extremely immature market. Comic OA has a mature auction and sales market. MTG card art doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I personally don't care. The sign of a serious bubble is people paying these kinds of prices for items in an extremely immature market. Comic OA has a mature auction and sales market. MTG card art doesn't. 

Sure you care...that why the flurry and fury of posts lol

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

You started an entire thread just to attack a comment by Comixforfun that was made on a locked thread. And you are calling me a troll?

Yes I did. And no I didn't.

Yes: I started an entire thread to rebut an argument that couldn't even hint at the same zip code as: logic. And,

No: It wasn't to attack. It was to rebut (see above). And, being the generous person I am to those that know me well, to create a space to advance the conversation in general on the subjects of professionalism and intellectual honesty, not just in relation to one dealer but to all and the greater human race too. See: generous of me, that gift to mankind (note: for no compensation whatsoever), no?

I'm calling you a borderline troll. We'll see if you possess the talent and skills, not to mention the stamina, to push through and over the finish line. I believe in you...let's see it!

52 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Like the person who finds a beat up copy of Action #1 in his grandmother's attic, and thinks it's worth $3.8 million. 

I understand what you saying but there is a difference here.

The difference is that we have multiple sales of several different grades to go off of when we figure out what a comic book it is worth. 

You can with some degree of accuracy determine the value of any comic book for insurance or otherwise. 

Paintings are one of a kind and harder to value but there are some things that we do know. When it comes to Magic the Black Lotus is clearly the top of the heap. No one disputes that and #2 #3 #4 etc are a good distance away. No matter what it is worth one thing is clear the Black Lotus artwork is worth more than any other Magic artwork. So when lessor examples sell for 750k or 1M it isn't that far of a stretch to say that the Black Lotus artwork is worth more than that at least in the mind of the seller. 

So what it is worth in todays market? Clearly more than any other piece of Magic art. How much more well who is to say?

Could the entire market burst like the Bitcoin market of 2017? Sure that is possible too. 

Personally I don't own any Magic art but I think that these things are fun to watch. 

Edited by buyatari

51 minutes ago, vodou said:

Sure you care...that why the flurry and fury of posts lol

Yes I did. And no I didn't.

Yes: I started an entire thread to rebut an argument that couldn't even hint at the same zip code as: logic. And,

No: It wasn't to attack. It was to rebut (see above). And, being the generous person I am to those that know me well, to create a space to advance the conversation in general on the subjects of professionalism and intellectual honesty, not just in relation to one dealer but to all and the greater human race too. See: generous of me, that gift to mankind (note: for no compensation whatsoever), no?

I'm calling you a borderline troll. We'll see if you possess the talent and skills, not to mention the stamina, to push through and over the finish line. I believe in you...let's see it!

Is a “borderline” troll someone who doesn’t hurl personal insults? That would make a “troll” someone who does. 

26 minutes ago, buyatari said:

I understand what you saying but there is a difference here.

The difference is that we have multiple sales of several different grades to go off of when we figure out what a comic book it is worth. 

You can with some degree of accuracy determine the value of any comic book for insurance or otherwise. 

Paintings are one of a kind and harder to value but there are some things that we do know. When it comes to Magic the Black Lotus is clearly the top of the heap. No one disputes that and #2 #3 #4 etc are a good distance away. No matter what it is worth one thing is clear the Black Lotus artwork is worth more than any other Magic artwork. So when lessor examples sell for 750k or 1M it isn't that far of a stretch to say that the Black Lotus artwork is worth more than that at least in the mind of the seller. 

So what it is worth in todays market? Clearly more than any other piece of Magic art. How much more well who is to say?

Could the entire market burst like the Bitcoin market of 2017? Sure that is possible too. 

Personally I don't own any Magic art but I think that these things are fun to watch. 

You are posting this on an Original Comic Book Art message board full of people who have experience pricing one of a kind pages. The Black Lotus painting is being priced like a Frazetta fantasy book cover painting, in an extremely immature market. Excuse me for being extremely skeptical. I get that its the holy grail of MTG. But, if you have that painting, and want to sell it, you take it over to Sothebys, or Heritage. You don't fuss around on the Facebook MTG message boards. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

10 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Is a “borderline” troll someone who doesn’t hurl personal insults? That would make a “troll” someone who does. 

Not mutually exclusive, so bad logic. Sorry. Try again :)

6 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

You are posting this on an Original Comic Book Art message board full of people who have experience pricing one of a kind pages. The Black Lotus painting is being priced like a Frazetta fantasy book cover painting, in an extremely immature market. Excuse me for being extremely skeptical. I get that its the holy grail of MTG. But, if you have that painting, and want to sell it, you take it over to Sothebys, or Heritage. You don't fuss around on the Facebook MTG message boards. 

Honestly as much as I disagree with every bit of logic you’ve put forward here, I understand completely your skepticism and I shared it initially.   But I’ve seen enough of these sales reported now from credible sources that we are past that.  I get the shock, I felt it too.   But I don’t think the market is going away.   Even if it dips, it’s not cratering any time soon.   There’s too much interest and the early pieces are too rare

5 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I understand why you would feel that way. However, it is not being priced like a Frazetta. It is being priced like the most desirable Magic card artwork. Those guys don't care what Frazettas sell for. They care what other Magic items sell for. If less desirable items sell for 750k or 1M then they want multiple millions for the best piece available.

4 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Fair enough. Not all trolls personally insult other posters. But all trolls do.

Dunno, re: all trolls do, but maybe. That's why I typed borderline...you haven't become completely obnoxious in your posts yet, but if you have no interest in the subject matter...why are you here? I have an interest. For certain. And at several different levels, none of them of the debunking nature either. That's why I'm here. You..?

1 minute ago, buyatari said:

I understand why you would feel that way. However, it is not being priced like a Frazetta. It is being priced like the most desirable Magic card artwork. Those guys don't care what Frazettas sell for. They care what other Magic items sell for. If less desirable items sell for 750k or 1M then they want multiple millions for the best piece available.

Well said

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Honestly as much as I disagree with every bit of logic you’ve put forward here, I understand completely your skepticism and I shared it initially.   But I’ve seen enough of these sales reported now from credible sources that we are past that.  I get the shock, I felt it too.   But I don’t think the market is going away.   Even if it dips, it’s not cratering any time soon.   There’s too much interest and the early pieces are too rare

This was me a year ago, all the way up until that Kaya (sp?) Foglio sale at HA. Even I, general dummy that I can be, saw that for what it was. And then the rest made a lot more sense.

1 minute ago, buyatari said:

Correct. It's being priced like Action #1 cover art and similar. I don't buy in to the entire fabric of the thing (ccg overall, MTG rarity and related prices, etc), I just see "the art" but the prices have the sort of support -internally- all the way up that means none of it, including the "topmost" surprises me either. You (PhilipB) are surprised because you're just not well versed in the internals of that hobby.

So...many...words!

(and this is coming from me)

You guys keep it up. I wanna see 15 pages by morning!

As for MTG card prices... more power to them, I guess. I’d so much rather have a piece of “real” art, than someone’s fanboy status totem.

And I don’t mean comic art. I often think the same thing for some of the nosebleed prices comic OA prices fetch as well. 

Sorry guys. I’ll turn in my fanboy card at the door.

Edited by ESeffinga

56 minutes ago, buyatari said:

But if you can buy a Frazetta Conan cover for the same price, give me the Frazetta. 

30 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

So...many...words!

(and this is coming from me)

You guys keep it up. I wanna see 15 pages by morning!

As for MTG card prices... more power to them, I guess. I’d so much rather have a piece of “real” art, than someone’s fanboy status totem.

And I don’t mean comic art. I often think the same thing for some of the nosebleed prices comic OA prices fetch as well. 

Sorry guys. I’ll turn in my fanboy card at the door.

I don’t want to be snobby. People say the same about comic art. I just think it’s a bubble due to a very frothy, immature market.