• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Marvel reprint titles! Any love for them?
1 1

57 posts in this topic

Like many here, these reprints were the only way I could afford to read the origins and early SA material when I was a kid. Was very happy that they produced them as it helped understand the continuity of the "Marvel Universe". I LOVED those little editor notes like "* It happened wayyyy back in ASM #4 !!" These reprint titles were the only way I could go back and see the original references. 

So glad you mentioned Fantasy Masterpieces @PUNYHUMAN, that was like a gateway drug for me into the golden age characters!

Great books all - brings back some fond memories!

-bc

13 hours ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

I love these books. Brings back memories. My first was Marvel Tales # 3 when I was  a wee lad. I really love the Fantasy Masterpieces the most . Great Golden age stuff. That's how I found out there was a such thing as a Golden age of comics.

Me too!  Remember how amazing it was to find out that there was a whole history of previously unknown comics!  I thought all Marvel characters started out in the silver age, and only Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were around for decades.  All I had to go by was the high numbering in Action, Detective, Bats, Supes, and WW.  (Which, back then, meant anything numbered 150 and up) :smile:

19 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

I've been picking up SA reprints here and there, mostly Marvel Tales. As others have mentioned, they are a great way to read without breaking the bank, and for me they are good way to dip my toes in the SA pool.

Although not Silver Age but reprinting the key #1's of the SA, do not forget about "Marvel Milestone Editions" if you are looking for an affordable way to read those books.

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

Wanna Cringe... 

When I was a kid and first started collecting Marvel back in the 60's (started in 65) me and my collector friends would take apart Marvel Collectors Items Classics and Marvel Tales and use them as individual issues for our collection.  :eek:   :sick:

A kid destroying SA comics: minus 3 points.

A kid wanting to collect and read old comics: plus 4 points.

You are absolved.

20 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

A kid destroying SA comics: minus 3 points.

A kid wanting to collect and read old comics: plus 4 points.

You are absolved.

I also had a friend whose dad worked for Topps in Phila when I was 7/8 years old and used to bring us home uncut sheets of the latest series of baseball cards and we cut them up and put them in the spokes of our bikes with cloth pins, am I absolved from that also???

(Everytime I think about it I get a sick feeling inside)

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I also had a friend whose dad worked for Topps in Phila when I was 7/8 years old and used to bring us home uncut sheets of the latest series of baseball cards and we cut them up and put them in the spokes of our bikes with cloth pins, am I absolved from that also???

(Everytime I think about it I get a sick feeling inside)

Someone else will have to make this ruling. It is outside the parameters of my nerd credentials.

I'd like to upgrade someday. Here's my Marvel Tales #1, the grand-daddy of the SA reprint titles. This is as close to the originals as you can get, same paper stock and great reproduction unlike today's trades, Milestones or True Believers.

MT1.jpg