• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration

8 posts in this topic

I recently received a graded comic back from CGC which under category was rated C-1  with the comments  " small amount of color touch on cover "   so it's labelled restoration but i'm wondering how do you determine what the cash value of your book is ?  In Overstreet and such they don't list restoration prices so how do you determine what your comic is worth if you want to try and sell it ?   Is the comic pretty much worthless once it gets that dreaded label and association ?  What does this all mean ? Any comments are greatly appreciated. 

25 minutes ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

I recently received a graded comic back from CGC which under category was rated C-1  with the comments  " small amount of color touch on cover "   so it's labelled restoration but i'm wondering how do you determine what the cash value of your book is ?  In Overstreet and such they don't list restoration prices so how do you determine what your comic is worth if you want to try and sell it ?   Is the comic pretty much worthless once it gets that dreaded label and association ?  What does this all mean ? Any comments are greatly appreciated. 

CGC Uses the (alpha hypen numberic i.e. C-1) to prescribe a quality/severity pairing to a restored book.  You can view the scale here.  The alpha or quality rating is Excellent (A), Fine (B) or Poor (C) while the numeric or severity rating is Slight (1), Slight/Moderate (2), Moderate (3), Moderate/Extensive (4) or Extensive (5).  So yours has been given a Poor (C)-Slight (1).  The Poor designation from a color touch perspective typically indicates the color touch was added using a pen or marker (or any non-professional application), has bleed through and/or cannot be removed.  GPA gpanalysis.com keeps record of sales for restored books so that would be the best place to check.  You may have to use neighboring data to make an educated guess if there's little sales data for your particular book/grade.  

On 1/29/2019 at 1:56 PM, Pontoon said:

What's the book? Every restored book is going to take a it in value, but a big key is going to be more resilient and maintain more worth.

Tales of Suspense # 41    so it's just an early Iron Man so i think it's not worth a whole lot....what do you think ?

19 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

Tales of Suspense # 41    so it's just an early Iron Man so i think it's not worth a whole lot....what do you think ?

640213963_gpatos41.thumb.JPG.d8fa6f611249df598939de051a24db3a.JPG

Let's say it's an 8.0... value $1100 unrestored. I'd guess 1/3rd to 1/2 that you could get on eBay.  Say $450.

If the CT is removable, and you remove it, maybe the grade drops to 6.5. Now you're at an unrestored value of $360.

Even at 7.0, you're at $468... plus you've spent the time and money to get it unrestored and graded.

I had that happen with an SS1 recently, 6.0 but with slight CT... I sold it for $350. Could have gotten $550 maybe unrestored. But factor in costs.... nope. Not worth it.

Leave it as is.

11 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

thanks for your help

You never stated the numerical grade of the book. Though in higher grades restoration dramatically impacts the market value, in the lower grades, the impact of restoration is minimal by comparison, especially if there isn't trimming done. What's the label grade of the book?