• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPA Begins SEPARATING INSERT BOOKS (Mark Jewelers, National Diamond, Tattooz) IN ITS DATA POINTS
1 1

65 posts in this topic

And now for my 10,000th post (not that anyone but me cares lol), GPA has now officially started to separate out books with insets in its reporting, beginning with this sale: :banana:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-6-1st-appearance-of-Deadpool-Rare-Mark-Jewelers-Insert/123438716672?hash=item1cbd855700:g:gwwAAOSwDDRbyn86

(Yeah, yeah I know it's a copper book but the vast majority of these are in Bronze so I am putting the thread here.)

Kudos to @gpanalysis for keeping up with all the more niche sales trends like this as well as to @awe4one for being the original person to bring these cool and on interesting books to the attention of the masses.

Great work guys!

-J.

Screenshot_20190129-104421_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Jaydogrules

Well done on reaching 10k Jay  (thumbsu

10k.PNG.32d81c3fcc44048c48e5a5a10e716223.PNG

I love inserts of all types, especially MJI's, and think it's right that they get this distinction. I understand why some disagree, but they are a separate entity in their own right and a completists dream. So this is good to hear. And you're right about awe4one - his work in this area helped me build my Spidey run. He deserves credit :)

14 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Well done on reaching 10k Jay  (thumbsu

10k.PNG.32d81c3fcc44048c48e5a5a10e716223.PNG

I love inserts of all types, especially MJI's, and think it's right that they get this distinction. I understand why some disagree, but they are a separate entity in their own right and a completists dream. So this is good to hear. And you're right about awe4one - his work in this area helped me build my Spidey run. He deserves credit :)

Thanks GetM&I!  And thanks for taking and posting that screenshot of my member profile at that post count.  (Why didn't *I think of that?? Well I screenshot your post anyway for my own personal posterity  Lol).

As to the GPA decision, now we will finally get to see if, how regularly, and/or by how much of a "premium" they sell for (particularly on the bigger keys, and based on that NM 98 sale there does seem to be a sizable emerging premium, at least for now).

More info is always better than less in my book.

-J.

22 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

As to the GPA decision, now we will finally get to see if, how regularly, and/or by how much of a "premium" they sell for (particularly on the bigger keys, and based on that NM 98 sale there does seem to be a sizable emerging premium, at least for now).

They appeal to a certain type of collector and, as they exist in much lower numbers than their non-insert counterparts, they tend to generate a premium when spotted on ebay. That was my experience anyway - especially when a particularly hard to find book came up that several collectors wanted. I got outbid quite a few times towards the end of my insert collecting days - and mostly by a friend who previously thought they were silly (until he held a few in his hands and the charm took over) 

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, Jaydogrules said:

And now for my 10,000th post (not that anyone but me cares lol), GPA has now officially started to separate out books with insets in its reporting, beginning with this sale: :banana:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-6-1st-appearance-of-Deadpool-Rare-Mark-Jewelers-Insert/123438716672?hash=item1cbd855700:g:gwwAAOSwDDRbyn86

(Yeah, yeah I know it's a copper book but the vast majority of these are in Bronze so I am putting the thread here.)

Kudos to @gpanalysis for keeping up with all the more niche sales trends like this as well as to @awe4one for being the original person to bring these cool and on interesting books to the attention of the masses.

Great work guys!

-J.

Screenshot_20190129-104421_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thank you...but a couple of people were mentioning the inserts before I caught on to them.  In fact, it was this Forum that brought them to my attention and realized I'd been buying them for years while stationed overseas without knowing.  I thought the inserts were in all comics at the time.

Jim  

7 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

I’m curious to know what you guys really think of this sale at $1500 for this book? Is it worth $1100 more than a regular 9.6 ($320 to 350 ish) in your opinions?

New mutants 98? I doubt it....

I like to think my ASM #129 cgc 3.0 mark jeweler signed by Stan I worth about $1100, but that's what it would be worth to me to sell, not what I put into it...

That is if I'm understanding the link between your post and the thread title :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

New mutants 98? I doubt it....

I like to think my ASM #129 cgc 3.0 mark jeweler signed by Stan I worth about $1100, but that's what it would be worth to me to sell, not what I put into it...

That is if I'm understanding the link between your post and the thread title :shy:

But I have an attachment to it, if I ever found someone who'd buy it, I still don't think I'd sell but I'm rambling...

I'm not sure how rare NM 98 markjewelers are...

@Jaydogrules is it true in general national diamond inserts are rarer than mji?

44 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

But I have an attachment to it, if I ever found someone who'd buy it, I still don't think I'd sell but I'm rambling...

I'm not sure how rare NM 98 markjewelers are...

@Jaydogrules is it true in general national diamond inserts are rarer than mji?

Oh yes most definitely.  The NDS inserts only ran for 2 years, before MJ's, with even a gap of non-production in there, whereas MJ's ran for two decades.  

http://www.awe4one.com/NDS-MJ Inserts/Insert webpage.html

-J.

1 hour ago, Catwomancomics said:

I’m curious to know what you guys really think of this sale at $1500 for this book? Is it worth $1100 more than a regular 9.6 ($320 to 350 ish) in your opinions?

Makes sense to me. Inserts are so much more rare. Some pay extra for newsstand...this is better.

39 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Makes sense to me. Inserts are so much more rare. Some pay extra for newsstand...this is better.

$1100.00 more because it’s a 9.6?  

How does someone place a fair market value on a MJ copy?  I’m asking because of raw books being sold, so no gpa.

1 minute ago, Catwomancomics said:

@RockMyAmadeus How does someone determine fair market value of MJ raw books? Is there a general rule of thumb? Example being 30% increase or possibly more for a key.

No real way of knowing. They don't trade hands often enough to establish a reliable market. I think $1500 for a NM #98 9.6 is excessive, but the buyer didn't. 

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I think $1500 for a NM #98 9.6 is excessive, but the buyer didn't. 

I agree.

Buyer could’ve purchased 2 cgc 9.8s for that price but maybe he already has one. IMHO I think paying double 9.6 is fair but I’m not a huge fan of Deadpool.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:16 AM, Jaydogrules said:

More info is always better than less in my book.

-J.

IMHO It’s really hard to determine a premium with a book being sold with a BIN. MJ copies don’t come up often enough. Had this sale been an auction style listing, we would have a better idea of a true premium.