• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPA Begins SEPARATING INSERT BOOKS (Mark Jewelers, National Diamond, Tattooz) IN ITS DATA POINTS
1 1

65 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It is Jay. As thread author, if you select the edit button on the first post you'll see you have the option to amend the title too, and add the missing 'k' 

Dun and Dunner.  Thank you! (thumbsu

Cool books by the way.^^

Looks like CGC has notated the inserts, at least intermittently, from nearly the beginning. :applause:

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Dun and Dunner.  Thank you! (thumbsu

Cool books by the way.^^

Ta. Went the way of the 667 alas....

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Looks like CGC has notated the inserts, at least intermittently, from nearly the beginning. :applause:

-J.

Yup

20 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Mark Jewelers books from the 90s....and the program ended around 1991 or 1992...as demonstrated by the sale of the New Mutants #98 discussed here, are prohibitively rare. 

What makes you think the MJ inserts are any more rare in the early 90s versus those released in the mid-late 80s? By the way, the Marvel MJ inserts started to be phased out in comics cover dated May-Jul 1991.

Jim

Edited by awe4one
Additional info

4 hours ago, awe4one said:

What makes you think the MJ inserts are any more rare in the early 90s versus those released in the mid-late 80s?

I don't. I do, however, think they are, in aggregate, much rarer than their 70s and even early 80s counterparts.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:48 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

But I have an attachment to it, if I ever found someone who'd buy it, I still don't think I'd sell but I'm rambling...

I'm not sure how rare NM 98 markjewelers are...

@Jaydogrules is it true in general national diamond inserts are rarer than mji?

A 9.8 jeweler variant is really hard to find, especially in DC.  I have almost 1,000 DC jeweler variants, and maybe 2 or 3 are 9.8.   This makes sense to me because they had to make it all the way overseas, sit on a newsstand in a PX, and then survive 40+ years in 9.8 condition.   

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Here is a National Diamond Marvel Spotlight #5 I have on the way to CGC. I like the sequencing of the ads - education, engagement, then "thoughtful gifts of love". lol 

IMG_0931.thumb.jpg.73e9423d0b461ba0b6fc05f5c448b2c2.jpg

IMG_0934.thumb.jpg.5d8ae05cd51bdf2cb4edb532899a4016.jpg

IMG_0932.thumb.jpg.cb932c4bce734d78107221e835d5b73f.jpg

IMG_0933.thumb.jpg.9903d03fd20170a8e64c6bb50a46b95e.jpg

Wow now that is cool.

Any idea on the grade ?

-J.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Wow now that is cool.

Any idea on the grade ?

-J.

The dealer had it at VF+, but it looks lower than that to me. We will see what CGC says. There are a lot of scuffs on the mylar that are showing up in the picture that are not on the book. It is a clean copy, but there is some creasing in the tip of the bottom right corner that will drop it as well as a couple of color breaking spine dings/creases. I am curious to see how it turns out.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:11 PM, kimik said:

The dealer had it at VF+, but it looks lower than that to me. We will see what CGC says. There are a lot of scuffs on the mylar that are showing up in the picture that are not on the book. It is a clean copy, but there is some creasing in the tip of the bottom right corner that will drop it as well as a couple of color breaking spine dings/creases. I am curious to see how it turns out.

Looks like I was wrong and the dealer was right. I will post pics later, but the book came back as a CGC 8.5 W. 

On 11/28/2019 at 4:41 PM, First Upgrade said:

Some auction houses are too busy to notate inserts...auction description kindly refrained from mentioning the National Diamond Sales insert in this Marvel Spotlight 5. Thanks y'all!

20191128_140055.jpg

Awesome dude.   I have found quite a few Mark Jeweler variants I needed by trolling ebay and looking for evidence of an insert in the photos or seeing the familiar "star" stamp on the front cover.  Probably not a good use of my time, but what the heck.... to me it is like a fun Easter egg hunt.

Edited by Cpt Kirk