• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPA Begins SEPARATING INSERT BOOKS (Mark Jewelers, National Diamond, Tattooz) IN ITS DATA POINTS
1 1

65 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

@RockMyAmadeus How does someone determine fair market value of MJ raw books? Is there a general rule of thumb? Example being 30% increase or possibly more for a key.

Keys get a bigger boost than regular issues. For some, there will really be no difference because there are literally only a handful of people looking for that issue. eBay might improve those odds and get you some premium. If the book is a key book, then it's condition dependent, of course, but it can go for a good deal more. I know I have MJ copies of Batman 251 and Marvel Premiere 15. I'm personally a lot less likely to sell those issues because I know how hard they would be to replace.

20 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Keys get a bigger boost than regular issues. For some, there will really be no difference because there are literally only a handful of people looking for that issue. eBay might improve those odds and get you some premium. If the book is a key book, then it's condition dependent, of course, but it can go for a good deal more. 

So do you think the sale of NM 98 cgc 9.6 MJ is what it should go for? Or do you think this buyer overpaid based on his love for Deadpool and the fact that it was a BIN and not an auction style listing?

11 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

So do you think the sale of NM 98 cgc 9.6 MJ is what it should go for? Or do you think this buyer overpaid based on his love for Deadpool and the fact that it was a BIN and not an auction style listing?

The NM #98 is probably the very last key that would have an MJ insert, as the program ended right about then, so there would be that factor. MJs from the 80s and early 90s tend to be a lot rarer than their 70s counterparts, so that all factors in, of course. 

If it was a 9.8....or the buyer thought there might be a chance at a 9.8...then I can see the $1500 price, but for a 9.6 at 4x-5x the regular price, it was pretty aggressive.

21 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

I think they don't come up very often so people are more aggressive. It seems high but more copies would bring the price down. But will there be more copies? A 9.6 might be the best available for a long time.

Plus when it comes to variant like that, people will list it under different things or not notice it at all so searches for MJ or Mark Jewelers might still miss copies. Even this thread is titled Mar Jewelers...

Edited by PeterPark

And, it's certainly possible that there are slabbed copies out there that don't have the notation at all, but have the insert. The only way to tell would be a very careful examination of the open edges, and even that may not be entirely clear.

20 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And, it's certainly possible that there are slabbed copies out there that don't have the notation at all, but have the insert. The only way to tell would be a very careful examination of the open edges, and even that may not be entirely clear.

When did CGC start making the notation of Mark Jewelers inserts on the labels? In the ASM 194 club thread there is a 9.4 that was graded in 2009.

edit: I would think all books after that should have the notation, since the grader would’ve seen the insert regardless if the invoice had MJ noted by the submitter.

Edited by Catwomancomics

3 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I think they don't come up very often so people are more aggressive. It seems high but more copies would bring the price down. But will there be more copies? A 9.6 might be the best available for a long time.

Plus when it comes to variant like that, people will list it under different things or not notice it at all so searches for MJ or Mark Jewelers might still miss copies. Even this thread is titled Mar Jewelers...

Yeah I noticed that typo too.  

Is it possible to correct the subject line after the fact? 

-J.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:26 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

MJs from the 80s and early 90s tend to be a lot rarer than their 70s counterparts, so that all factors in, of course. 

From my experience, this is incorrect.  I've found many more MJ inserts in 80s-90s comics than 70s.  Hell, I could go to the local comics shop here and get a dozen.  But also, I live near multiple military bases so their availability is greater here than living in areas where they don't have any near.  But even when I was buying every MJ/NDS issue I could find overseas, the 80s-90s were easy to find.  70s not so much.

Jim

2 minutes ago, awe4one said:

From my experience, this is incorrect.  I've found many more MJ inserts in 80s-90s comics than 70s.  Hell, I could go to the local comics shop here and get a dozen.  But also, I live near multiple military bases so their availability is greater here than living in areas where they don't have any near.  But even when I was buying every MJ/NDS issue I could find overseas, the 80s-90s were easy to find.  70s not so much.

Jim

I would suggest it is your proximity to local bases that drives their local availability. Mark Jewelers books from the 90s....and the program ended around 1991 or 1992...as demonstrated by the sale of the New Mutants #98 discussed here, are prohibitively rare. If they are common near you, I'll be happy to buy every single copy you find that you don't want. 

6 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

When did CGC start making the notation of Mark Jewelers inserts on the labels? In the ASM 194 club thread there is a 9.4 that was graded in 2009.

edit: I would think all books after that should have the notation, since the grader would’ve seen the insert regardless if the invoice had MJ noted by the submitter.

You would think, but I don't think that's the case. Remember, CGC still doesn't acknowledge newsstand vs. Direct, even when the paper stock is different, except in a very few cases.

I don't remember the oldest slab I saw with an MJ notation, but it would probably have been around 2006? 2007? Maybe scattered notations going back to 2002?

3 hours ago, awe4one said:

Jim

Especially in high grade.  There was a 9.4 IH 181 with an MJI five years ago that was being charged at a significant premium even then that I kind of wish I had picked up now.  Oh well. 

I would hazard that it is more likely that the early '70's NDS/MJI's have a greater likelihood of having been torn out, greater likelihood of being sold overseas, which may also explain their greater rarity.

-J.

17 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yeah I noticed that typo too.  

Is it possible to correct the subject line after the fact? 

-J.

It is Jay. As thread author, if you select the edit button on the first post you'll see you have the option to amend the title too, and add the missing 'k' 

15 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You would think, but I don't think that's the case. Remember, CGC still doesn't acknowledge newsstand vs. Direct, even when the paper stock is different, except in a very few cases.

I don't remember the oldest slab I saw with an MJ notation, but it would probably have been around 2006? 2007? Maybe scattered notations going back to 2002?

Here's the oldest one I owned - graded the beginning of 2001:

2001.PNG.d4e21d5130ca63cd0fc373a5927c0d63.PNG

174.thumb.jpg.cfcdaff0ee505cc732860546f9df9bf5.jpg

174b.thumb.jpg.c7fc4b620a8e5c93b2f440c191f634bc.jpg