• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade and advice on my Amazing Fantasy 15 *Edit* Back From CGC!
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Someone once said on here (very recently) that "almost any AF 15 is worth it to send in to CGC to get graded".  My question then is, even one as poor as this, with possible resto?  There's some "good" to this book, but there's a lot of "bad" too which I will describe.  The GOOD:  The book is complete, not missing any pages, nothing clipped; the pages are actually pretty nice and supple.  The cover is mostly there.  The BAD:  The obvious corner missing, lower-left.  Tape along the binding and tape along the right-edge, FC.  Staples have been replaced on the centerfold.

NM2.jpg

NM2_0001.jpg

20190129_145701.jpg

20190129_145716.jpg

20190129_145734.jpg

20190129_145743.jpg

20190129_145818.jpg

Edited by Badlands

The only potential issue is you may get a "conserved" label if the staples were replaced.  However, since they probably weren't replaced with conservation in mind you may get a blue label with the note added.  I would talk to CGC about the options.  I'm not positive but there doesn't appear to be any restoration which is good.  A .5 with more damage sold on ebay for just shy of $10k on12/08/2018 so if it were my book I'd have it slabbed.  

38 minutes ago, TellItToTheJudge said:

Why?

Send it in for grading only if you're ready to sell.  Slabbing will always increase the sales potential.  A buyer might look at this raw with lots of questions.  Slabbing will take those questions away.  If you just want to keep it in your collection then just keep it raw right now.  

If you decide to grade, you might want to press those ripples out.

I own 2 graded copies of AF15 (4.0 & 7.0), and I own 3 super low grade copies that I keep raw (all 1.0s or lower)

Edited by gadzukes

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Maybe I'm just seeing things because I just came from another thread where a beat up 1.0 AF15 was trimmed. The top edge of this book looks very straight. Shouldn't there be some overhang ? 

When a comic is this low grade, the cover can be tenuous at the staples resulting in jostling from the original positioning.  (that sentence used words I very rarely use) 

I wouldn't over think the overhang in a comic that is this low grade.

Edited by gadzukes

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

When a comic is this low grade, the cover can be tenuous at the staples resulting in jostling from the original positioning.  (that sentence used words I very rarely use) 

I wouldn't over think the overhang in a comic that is this low grade.

To make up for almost never using the perfectly good words, "tenuous" and "jostling", you should spend at least one day out of every week working those words into every sentence you speak or write, until you feel you have made amends in catching up for all the time you neglected using those words, and finally righted that wrong! It's easy. Here's an example. 

Q: "Well, Gadzukes. How are you feeling today?"

G: "I'm feeling tenuous at best because I was jostled on my way over here!".

And there you go, a fresh start towards vocabulary redemption, you're welcome..:acclaim:

On 1/29/2019 at 8:46 PM, gadzukes said:

Send it in for grading only if you're ready to sell.  Slabbing will always increase the sales potential.  A buyer might look at this raw with lots of questions.  Slabbing will take those questions away.  If you just want to keep it in your collection then just keep it raw right now.  

If you decide to grade, you might want to press those ripples out.

I own 2 graded copies of AF15 (4.0 & 7.0), and I own 3 super low grade copies that I keep raw (all 1.0s or lower)

Any chance you’d be willing to part with one of your lower grade raw copies?