• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hobby or Obsession???
1 1

31 posts in this topic

At what point does collecting comics stop being a hobby and start being an obsession?   I bought 2 CGC books that I really didn't need just because I thought they would be cool to have.  Then a few books showed up in my main collecting area, and I bought those too!  When does it end????

4 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

At what point does collecting comics stop being a hobby and start being an obsession?   I bought 2 CGC books that I really didn't need just because I thought they would be cool to have.  Then a few books showed up in my main collecting area, and I bought those too!  When does it end????

If it feels good keep doing it!

I think when you can't manage it (proper storing, proper organization, buying duplicates on accident), then it becomes a problem.  Also, when you don't sit down and READ them.  I mean these things are great!  The stories, the artwork. I never understand people who buy stuff, send it off to be entombed in plastic, and have no idea what's inside.  That's not what this is about. 

11 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I think when you can't manage it (proper storing, proper organization, buying duplicates on accident), then it becomes a problem.  Also, when you don't sit down and READ them.  I mean these things are great!  The stories, the artwork. I never understand people who buy stuff, send it off to be entombed in plastic, and have no idea what's inside.  That's not what this is about. 

This begs the question: Are there any high-value books that have never been reprinted in an affordable format (trade paperback/omni/etc)?

@Mercury Man I think different people collect for different reasons. I usually read graphic novels and Heavy Metal but I collect certain cover artists I like, which is why I don’t open those and grade some of them. 

But I’m mystified a bit by your comment. Isn’t it counterproductive to read a comic you’re intending to get slabbed? That’s why people are here for, I assume. 

Of course you can always get two copies. 

16 hours ago, BladeTX said:

your obsessed and i hope discipline kicks in soon !!!!!!

16 hours ago, BladeTX said:

sometimes you just have to ride the collecting bug until the fire burns out ...

(but don't treat women that way lol )

Re: reading your comics.  I'm a reader and I read them all but with resources like the GA Reading Room thread, widely available reprints, compendium volumes, and cheap reader copies of some books I wouldn't be comfortable thumbing through a valuable book for anything but a quality check. I get nervous when I'm holding a valuable collectible of any kind.

I love what is IN comics and focus almost entirely on reading and directly appreciating the art but I do understand the compulsion to buy some that are never read.  I collect vintage action figures that I just stare at.  Collecting is a personality trait that, for comic collectors, would probably be manifested in some other collection if not comics.

It ends when you want it to. Never before. You may reach a point when you either: 1. Run out of space. 2. Run out of money. 3. Lose interest.

Any combination of 1, 2, and 3 can cause you to stop. I stopped for a few years. When I returned, I fell right back into love with the books. As with most of us, I am in pretty deep.

10 hours ago, GFlo said:

@Mercury Man I think different people collect for different reasons. I usually read graphic novels and Heavy Metal but I collect certain cover artists I like, which is why I don’t open those and grade some of them. 

But I’m mystified a bit by your comment. Isn’t it counterproductive to read a comic you’re intending to get slabbed? That’s why people are here for, I assume. 

Of course you can always get two copies. 

I am certainly not talking about cracking open an Action #1.  I just think people have gotten carried away with this slabbing 'everything' mentality, especially not knowing what is inside.  It's a comic book.  Key word being 'book'.   

if you clinically suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder..this hobby can be a freaking nightmare...And there are quite a few on this forum who suffer from this.  I think at some point you need to separate what is an illness and what is "you."  Sheesh....lack of a better word...but yeah...When it comes to numbers, grades, pages, condition--someone who suffers from OCD will face a page of madness ...PUN intended......I know...I have been there....feel free to message me if you are hiding in the shadows.....I can cover this issue

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, Turnando said:

Re: reading your comics.  I'm a reader and I read them all but with resources like the GA Reading Room thread, widely available reprints, compendium volumes, and cheap reader copies of some books I wouldn't be comfortable thumbing through a valuable book for anything but a quality check. I get nervous when I'm holding a valuable collectible of any kind.

I love what is IN comics and focus almost entirely on reading and directly appreciating the art but I do understand the compulsion to buy some that are never read.  I collect vintage action figures that I just stare at.  Collecting is a personality trait that, for comic collectors, would probably be manifested in some other collection if not comics.

Very true Turnado!  I am a hobby meanderer... taking on something pretty much new every 5 years or so.  My lifetime collecting journey has been comics, then coins, then participating in shooting sports, then guitar, then wine collecting, then guitar again, then coin collecting, now back to comics.   I've come full circle!!!!

19 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I am certainly not talking about cracking open an Action #1.  I just think people have gotten carried away with this slabbing 'everything' mentality, especially not knowing what is inside.  It's a comic book.  Key word being 'book'.   

Yeah, I agree.   I have TPBs and Compendiums of the books I have slabbed but the same thing is true with coins where anything worth more than $100 is now encased in plastic.  Yes, you can see most of the coin so it's not like looking inside a comic but still different than holding the real thing.    But Iove reading the series I collect.   I can't imagine having a huge part of your collection slabbed that you never read...   misses the point.

47 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

I am a hobby meanderer... taking on something pretty much new every 5 years or so.  My lifetime collecting journey has been comics, then coins, then participating in shooting sports, then guitar, then wine collecting, then guitar again, then coin collecting, now back to comics.   I've come full circle!!!!

Ha! Sounds like my life.  I love finding something new to fall in love with and take on as a hobby or life passion or whatever.  skateboarding, action figures, surfing, sci-fi, comic books...

I love skateboarding but that doesn't really explain the 20 or 30 skateboard decks hanging on the walls in the basement and garage (and the two I tacked to the wall in the living room without wife's permission)... That's the collector gene in action.   

1 hour ago, BladeTX said:

Very true Turnado!  I am a hobby meanderer... taking on something pretty much new every 5 years or so.  My lifetime collecting journey has been comics, then coins, then participating in shooting sports, then guitar, then wine collecting, then guitar again, then coin collecting, now back to comics.   I've come full circle!!!!

i hope the meandering strip club bug doesn't bite you lol