• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Question: Value Tier

11 posts in this topic

Hey all, hoping you can help clarify the CGC grading tiers a bit for me.

I'm mainly confused about the Value tier. My understanding is that, being the max value of each comic cannot exceed $200, it correlates most with the Modern tier. However, I would think that they want you to send as many to them as possible to grade; yet am I to understand that it's $27 per book under the Value tier (when I'm sending 15 comics, as per the minimum) while it's only $20 per book when I send one (to be graded under the Modern tier)? If so, can someone explain the logic in this?

Thanks,
Chris

Edited by readrideclimb
clarification

9 minutes ago, readrideclimb said:

Hey all, hoping you can help clarify the CGC grading tiers a bit for me.

I'm mainly confused about the Value tier. My understanding is that, being the max value of each comic cannot exceed $200, it correlates most with the Modern tier. However, I would think that they want you to send as many to them as possible to grade; yet am I to understand that it's $27 per book under the Value tier (when I'm sending 15 comics, as per the minimum) while it's only $20 per book when I send one? If so, can someone explain the logic in this?

Thanks,
Chris

I think you mean it's only $20 per book in the Modern tier.  Value tier costs 27.00 per book, Modern costs 20.00 . Modern has a cutoff date of 1975.  Not sure what you are having trouble understanding = not sure what your question is ?

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think you mean it's only $20 per book in the Modern tier.  Value tier costs 27.00 per book, Modern costs 20.00 . Modern has a cutoff date of 1975.  Not sure what you are having trouble understanding = not sure what your question is ?

Yes that's what I meant, apologies (I edited the post to clarify). My confusion is why they would charge more per book when you're sending them a bulk amount (more business for them) than when you're sending them 1 through 14 books. In other words, if I send them 14 modern books, they'll charge me $20 per book, but if I send them that 15th modern book, they'll tack on an additional $7 to all of those 14 books (plus the 15th) to make it $27 each?

What am I missing here?

6 minutes ago, readrideclimb said:

Yes that's what I meant, apologies (I edited the post to clarify). My confusion is why they would charge more per book when you're sending them a bulk amount (more business for them) than when you're sending them 1 through 14 books. In other words, if I send them 14 modern books, they'll charge me $20 per book, but if I send them that 15th modern book, they'll tack on an additional $7 to all of those 14 books (plus the 15th) to make it $27 each?

What am I missing here?

Where do you see that they charge you more with 15 books in the Modern tier? That is not true.

Okay, when I saw the chart elsewhere, it showed the "15 book minimum" for Value, plus the $200 Max Value (which I associated with Modern). So if you send them 15 Modern books they'll still only charge you $20 per book? What's the advantage of Value then? Solely for books older than 1975 that are valued at less than $200?

Value is for books OLDER than 1975 that are also valued at (or less than) $200.

I assume it is easier to grade modern books and therefore the price difference.  Either that, or they know that books after 1975 are not worth anything anyway...  KIDDING.:nyah:

1 hour ago, readrideclimb said:

Okay, when I saw the chart elsewhere, it showed the "15 book minimum" for Value, plus the $200 Max Value (which I associated with Modern). So if you send them 15 Modern books they'll still only charge you $20 per book? What's the advantage of Value then? Solely for books older than 1975 that are valued at less than $200?

There's no 'advantage' to value tier. In fact, it has the slowest turnaround time of all. I feel the tiers are actually pretty straightforward if you don't try to over analyze them. You have a book 1975 - present, submit it in Modern. Anything older, use the appropriate tier based on value. That's it.