• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's ARMY OF THE DEAD directed by Zack Snyder (TBD)
1 1

199 posts in this topic

Q: You’re coming off a decade of more doing big superhero films and now you’re back doing a zombie genre pic. What does it mean to you coming from that to this now?

ZACK: Yeah, it’s fun. Y’know, we were talking about the process of making a big, giant superhero movie and then your relationship to the photographic process, even the actors and the way the camera’s working. It grows-You grow further and further away from it. Even though, I’d still draw the drawings and draw the shots, but they’re getting made further away. And that’s kind of true of all aspects of the movie. And I think for this, for me, it’s just 100 percent an organic experience where I can take hold of it as a filmmaking process, as a writing process, photographically, as a director, all the things…I find it-it’s a joy to get up and work on. There’s no real politics, there’s no real anything, just make the movie as cool as you can, that’s it. In that way, it’s super refreshing; inspiring.

Q: Deb was saying Netflix has giving you way more freedom to just make your movie…

ZACK: Yeah, collaborative, supportive. There’s been no, like-not to say that they just don’t care…they’re incredibly passionate about it, out of their minds as far as the dailies and way we’re approaching the movie. They’re not asking me…well, let’s put it this way: They’re very comfortable with the movie that I proposed to them and that’s a cool and great experience. It’s been an amazing relationship thus far.

Q: We still haven’t seen the version of Justice League that you intended…

ZACK: Sure.

Q: What’s your thoughts on that? Is there a point where you want people to focus more on what you’re doing now or what you’re going to do?

ZACK: Look, this is how I feel about it; of course I want everyone like, ‘look, I made this movie, let’s talk about it, that’s what I want, yes, there’s this new thing I made’. Hundred percent, I feel that way. But, I will say that I don’t really separate-the work to me is sort of a singular thing and sort of the process is a singular thing. Is there a relationship between this movie and my other films? Of course there is. And like, in the filmography is there a hole? Yeah, there is. That’s just a fact. And so, to have a conversation that fans and/or people who are interested in cinema and stuff be interested in what that is? I don’t know that there’s a time limit on that sort of interest. I sort of see them as two different things. I kind of feel like anyone who’s interested in that movie-whatever that movie was supposed to be and then what I’m doing now. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive. I’m pretty sure that someone who’s interested in that will go see this movie. I don’t think there’s a lot of people who are like, ‘No, no, I just want to know about Justice League and that’s it and I don’t care about what else he does.’ I don’t think that’s a thing.

So, I guess for me, I find that the people who are supportive of that aspect of whatever Justice League they’re interested in and the movie we’re making now, I feel like the relationship is only that, I made a movie and now I‘m making another movie. And so, someone that’s a fan of that, there’s a lot in this movie that they can get into and think is cool, but I don’t think it diminishes and is not meant to diminish their interest in- -Let’s put it this way, I think a lot of people in fandom have sacrificed a lot as far as maintaining their interest in that movie and I don’t want to like, not honor the commitment that people have to that and the interest they have in that, because I find it, just personally as a filmmaker and as an artist, whatever, like, incredibly cool and it makes me happy that there’s that much caring about a thing that they don’t even know what it is. So, I find that really awesome. Do I want to drag those people forward with me into the future? Of course. I definitely don’t want anyone to get this impression that I’m saying like, ‘Move on, forget about it!’ Because I think that dishonors the work that so many people have done in fandom and there’s a lot of money that’s been raised and a lot of strong relationships that have been forged out of this, whatever that is, that struggle and I don’t want to dishonor it...

DEB SNYDER: And it’s been super amazing to me how a movement which could be seen as ‘oh, we want this thing’ could create so much awareness for suicide prevention and so much money. It’s super humbling and it’s been really touching to us.

ZACK: Incredible, yeah, yeah.

DEB SNYDER: I think that fans are not only showing support for Zack’s art, but something very personal to us. It’s meant a lot to us.

Q: Do you have hope that they’ll get what they want?

ZACK: Look, as far as I know, it is what it is, but that doesn’t mean by any stretch of the imagination that it’s a completely dead subject. Every now and then something will come out or some piece of information will be shared and there’s an evolution. The truth is, y’know-I have faith in the sort of universe-it will be what it will be-so, if that were ever to happen, that’s great. But, I’m here now and shooting this and happy to do it.

Q: But, you feel the fans, right?

ZACK: A hundred percent. A hundred percent. Y’know, it has a pop culture aspect to it that I find interesting as well. This sort of Snyder Cut concept has become like a-

Q: Rob Liefeld just published a comic that has “Release The Snyder Cut” said by one of the characters…

ZACK: This is what I’m talking about.

Q: At NYCC they have a billboard in times square…

ZACK: Like I say, I can’t not say that’s awesome. You just can’t.

Q: You ever thought about just calling Ryan Reynolds and asking him to leak the film?

ZACK: (laughing) Ryan’s a good guy probably to do it.

Q: It’s Ryan that did it. He’ll take the bullet for it.

ZACK: What are ya gonna do? What’s anyone gonna do to Ryan? He doesn’t care! (laughter) Zero given (laughter). Good idea.

Netflix and movie theaters are finally playing nice — and all it took was a global pandemic to turn these antagonists into friends.

The streaming service’s upcoming zombie thriller, the Zack Snyder-directed “Army of the Dead,” will play exclusively in cinemas starting on May 14 for one week prior to its Netflix release on May 21.

Notably, Cinemark, one of the country’s biggest theater chains, has agreed to screen the movie. It is booked at 200 Cinemark locations, making “Army of the Dead” the first Netflix film to score a wide release at a major theater chain. The movie will play at roughly 600 theaters in total, including iPic, Landmark, Alamo Drafthouse, Harkins and Cinépolis. Other major circuits, specifically AMC and Regal, will not be offering the film.

In a matter of days Dave Bautista will return to movie theaters around the country and then television screens worldwide as Netflix's Army of the Dead debuts from filmmaker Zack Snyder. Later this summer however will be The Suicide Squad, the new film from his Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn will arrive but sadly it won't feature the wrestler turned actor, despite a part in the DC movie being written for him. In a new interview with Digital Spy, Bautista opened up about the situation, saying: "I was all up for it, and then I got Army of the Dead, which was not only a lead role for me, but also I really wanted to work with Zack Snyder. I've been wanting to work with him for years."

He continued, "I had The Suicide Squad where I got to work with my boy again, even though it's a smaller role, and then I had Army of the Dead on which I get to work with Zack, I get to build a relationship with Netflix, I get a lead role in a great film – and I get paid a lot more money. I had to call James, and I told him, 'It breaks my heart, because as a friend, I want to be there with you, but professionally, this is the smart decision for me.' He said, 'I completely get it. I'm proud of you that you're even in this position. I'm proud that I had something to do with you being in this position where you have to make these hard decisions.'"