• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimming

26 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2019 at 11:51 AM, The Lions Den said:

Good points made, Bob. Even if Chris or Matt didn't see this book, there are several very experienced graders at CGC that are extremely competent at spotting various forms of restoration. Even from the pictures posted here, it's pretty obvious the right edge of the cover has been trimmed...  

After I finally bought the grader's notes, it says the ENTIRE right side of the book is trimmed, I thought it was just in a small area. I'm having a very hard time understanding how the entire side could be trimmed, with all of the wear on the edges.

53 minutes ago, Canadiancomics said:

After I finally bought the grader's notes, it says the ENTIRE right side of the book is trimmed, I thought it was just in a small area. I'm having a very hard time understanding how the entire side could be trimmed, with all of the wear on the edges.

After looking at this book again, my sense of it is that someone was trying to make the Marvel chipping less noticeable by trimming the book on the right edge---it's actually a fairly common reason for trimming books. I'm sorry for your loss, but even with the trimming you're still a  ^^  

Just now, The Lions Den said:

After looking at this book again, my sense of it is that someone was trying to make the Marvel chipping less noticeable by trimming the book on the right edge---it's actually a fairly common reason for trimming books. I'm sorry for your loss, but even with the trimming you're still a  ^^  

That could be a possibility for sure. However, when I looked at other trimmed examples with chipping on the cover, the spaces between the chippings would be perfectly straight, and look as though they received no wear at all, I don't see this on my copy. The only straight area on the cover is in the bottom right corner, and where I thought it had been trimmed. After my findings, it is impossible that bottom right edge could be trimmed, although it's straight, it goes to the very edge of the book. I can also tell because none of the artowork on the edge of the cover is missing, everything that belongs on the edge of the cover is there. I really wish CGC could have provided more detail in the notes about the trimming. 

On 1/31/2019 at 6:09 PM, Canadiancomics said:

Here’s a pic to explain my last point. 

FB7A536B-4D01-4BE3-804B-7D905BC1B092.thumb.jpeg.fcd99b5bed62637604ea01b59270b525.jpegMy copy is on the right. 

to me that looks angled like not even a straight line trim did you take a ruler across the entire book to see if it has the same width in multiple spots?