• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adverts in Old Comics
3 3

93 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Ads I always was confused by were all the ads in 40s and 50s funny animal comics aimed at adult women. Funny animal and humor comics of that era are full of ads for tummy flatteners, dresses, nylons, skin creams etc. I guess they were thinking mom might see them when she was cleaning up juniors room.

001.thumb.JPG.a8ce564094376edfe92550f48332a344.JPG

The tooth paste explosion seems oddly appropriate given what's opposite :)

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. Fancy buying a copy and finding someone had cut out the Wonder Twins stamp. Devastating. 

It could be worse...They could have glued an extra one on top of the other.:bigsmile:

images.jpg

Edited by tv horror

15 hours ago, tv horror said:

It could be worse...They could have glued an extra one on top of the other.:bigsmile:

images.jpg

Jack O'Lantern.

Hero of Ireland.

Spoiler

175414817_LAHLaughing2.gif.c76862dc09dbdc67626f4c57f03d9b69.gif

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Jack O'Lantern.

Hero of Ireland.

DC's Global Guardians tend to be very lame and cliched.

England's representative is Godiva.  :facepalm:

I remember them from Crisis on Infinite Earths.  Incredibly, despite being obvious cannon fodder, they managed to survive it.  (shrug)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Guardians

Edited by Ken Aldred

I always wanted to send for these kits because the Kung Fu one promised a deadly punch that only the mysterious East could provide, then after it is taught to you, they have to kill you.:bigsmile: It's the same with the target Crook poster "Learn where to inflict the most pain" I certainly didn't need that one I was kicked and punched THERE many a time.

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

images.jpg

download (2).jpg

On 3/26/2019 at 9:56 PM, catman76 said:

Ads I always was confused by were all the ads in 40s and 50s funny animal comics aimed at adult women. Funny animal and humor comics of that era are full of ads for tummy flatteners, dresses, nylons, skin creams etc. I guess they were thinking mom might see them when she was cleaning up juniors room.

001.thumb.JPG.a8ce564094376edfe92550f48332a344.JPG

Irv Spector :cloud9:

The ad for the "Darling Pet Monkey" is one of the greatest, if for nothing else, the comedy relief as it's retold in an NPR story of two brothers who ordered this monkey in 1968. If you haven't ever heard or read this story, you must - it is comedy gold!

monkey-ad.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

On 1/30/2019 at 2:05 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

First up, did anyone ever buy one of these? I had the Spidey one and I have to say it was one of the most exciting things I can remember. The suction cup dart never stuck to anything of course, but it was the closest my eight year old self ever got to web-slinging :headbang:

1750807825_rhk139may77.thumb.jpg.def1c362c1cf02fff74b99883bfe45d8.jpg

Thwipp!

Not the best of condition but here's my Hulk one.....

1738390717_hulkshooter.jpg.e758b0dd7acf05604a317a8dd236e57b.jpg

My favourite ads were always the Helen Of Toy soldiers/war games, they always looked fantastic but completely out of reach for a UK school kid with no money. I still look on ebay for them but complete sets seem extremely rare.

1584018077_HELENOFTOY.jpg.ba24a40b7a9177db4b4f0b87a6f3df02.jpg

and here's a link to a web site which shows they weren't as fantastic as I'd always imagined them...

http://www.thortrains.net/milihistriot/comictoys/comicbooktoysoldierswargames.html