• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adverts in Old Comics
3 3

93 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Oh. 

All them years I thought it was actual grit. The 'put it on your icy paths' type :p

So did I, then on another horror forum it was explained to me the same way as Dirt is soil. 

2 minutes ago, tv horror said:

So did I, then on another horror forum it was explained to me the same way as Dirt is soil. 

Don't feel too bad about it. We were only little. 

2 minutes ago, HarrisonJohn said:

It's an odd name for a newspaper. I guess Grime and Blah were already taken.

Horsesh:censored: was still available I believe hm

On 1/30/2019 at 2:05 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Afternoon :)

I was looking through some old comics this week, clearing the decks of all the books that make their way into your collection as extras in bulk ebay sales and the like. A few had some good interior adverts which invoked some nice feelings of nostalgia.

Here's a few - maybe others can post ones they have found / like

First up, did anyone ever buy one of these? I had the Spidey one and I have to say it was one of the most exciting things I can remember. The suction cup dart never stuck to anything of course, but it was the closest my eight year old self ever got to web-slinging :headbang:

1750807825_rhk139may77.thumb.jpg.def1c362c1cf02fff74b99883bfe45d8.jpg

Thwipp!

Not sure what this next one was all about, not being a DC boy back in the day. Their version of the Marvel Value Stamps?

486498297_wwt69jul1980d.thumb.jpg.b1c3c67a1016e0ab0f04defd2345ce1b.jpg

Jack O'Lantern - Hero of Ireland. What!?

Old Jack was a popular choice in the comics my favourite was the one who appeared in the Agent Venom run, he would scoop out the victims heads and leave little candles in the hollowed out heads plus he had two little Demonic imp helpers.. 

download (3).jpg

images (5).jpg

download (4).jpg

download (2).jpg

6 hours ago, comics4all said:

What in the hell was Grit? I never saw 1 person read or buy it! 

I knew a kid from my school that sold Grit. We were about 12 so this was 77 or 78. He would be out in front of the grocery store on Saturday mornings trying to sell them. He said he sold quite a bit, but I'm not so sure.

55 minutes ago, Dr Zen said:

I knew a kid from my school that sold Grit. We were about 12 so this was 77 or 78. He would be out in front of the grocery store on Saturday mornings trying to sell them. He said he sold quite a bit, but I'm not so sure.

Awesome! did he  buy the hatchet with his earnings?

10 hours ago, HarrisonJohn said:

Google 'Grit family newspaper', looks like it was a general news newspaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GRIT-AMERICAS-FAMILY-NEWSPAPER-FEBRUARY-9-1975-/262711509848

10 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Oh. 

All them years I thought it was actual grit. The 'put it on your icy paths' type :p

You can still line a budgie's cage with both though... :bigsmile:

7 hours ago, Gnasher said:

This is genuine though....:bigsmile:

0.jpg

People must have pooped their pants when you threw the grenade @ them & it made a loud sound!!!!

That would change their mind from "not a real grenade to I am gonna be blown to bits" in a heartbeat!

brick grenade.gif

On 1/30/2019 at 8:05 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Afternoon :)

I was looking through some old comics this week, clearing the decks of all the books that make their way into your collection as extras in bulk ebay sales and the like. A few had some good interior adverts which invoked some nice feelings of nostalgia.

Here's a few - maybe others can post ones they have found / like

First up, did anyone ever buy one of these? I had the Spidey one and I have to say it was one of the most exciting things I can remember. The suction cup dart never stuck to anything of course, but it was the closest my eight year old self ever got to web-slinging :headbang:

1750807825_rhk139may77.thumb.jpg.def1c362c1cf02fff74b99883bfe45d8.jpg

Thwipp!

Not sure what this next one was all about, not being a DC boy back in the day. Their version of the Marvel Value Stamps?

486498297_wwt69jul1980d.thumb.jpg.b1c3c67a1016e0ab0f04defd2345ce1b.jpg

Jack O'Lantern - Hero of Ireland. What!?

All those B-C list character stamps are awesome in-and-of-itself!

2 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

All those B-C list character stamps are awesome in-and-of-itself!

Indeed. Fancy buying a copy and finding someone had cut out the Wonder Twins stamp. Devastating.