• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Mistake - I think...

13 posts in this topic

Saw this currently up on the bay for sale.  Not sure how this got a universal with the cover trimmed...  Someone is going to make bank on it though in the blue holder...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Select-Comics-44-in-CGC-7-0-Rare/401695971456?hash=item5d86f21880:g:GNUAAOSwsQJcTmr~:rk:4:pf:0&LH_Auction=1

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.a0cd38b4b3c9e6a3eae6731d8297bb88.jpg

7 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Saw this currently up on the bay for sale.  Not sure how this got a universal with the cover trimmed...  Someone is going to make bank on it though in the blue holder...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Select-Comics-44-in-CGC-7-0-Rare/401695971456?hash=item5d86f21880:g:GNUAAOSwsQJcTmr~:rk:4:pf:0&LH_Auction=1

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.a0cd38b4b3c9e6a3eae6731d8297bb88.jpg

I wonder if they just messed the label notes up.  It faces like a 7.0 but I don't think I've ever seen a book with a detached centerfold get a 7.0.  I'm going to buy the notes.

32 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Had there been no mention of either I would've been all over that book...

detached centerfold
light shadow right top of back cover
small staple tear
small tear top of back cover
trimmed full top of back cover

Thanks for posting brother... Wonky as hell to say the least....

20 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The seller's E-Bay rating is '2'. This must be a CGC QC error, I don't think there is any situation where a trimmed book gets a Blue Label. 

I see it’s only denoting the top BC was trimmed in the notes.  Not sure I ever saw that before, wonder if it got a pass because the FC was not trimmed.  Odd one for sure.

When books are received at CGC they're entered into the system as Universal. If no one changes that designation, the book will print out as a blue label Universal, regardless of what the graders or anyone else found regarding the condition of the book. So it's entirely possible to have a Restored book (trimmed in this case) still print out as a blue label Universal.   :whistle:

53 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

When books are received at CGC they're entered into the system as Universal. If no one changes that designation, the book will print out as a blue label Universal, regardless of what the graders or anyone else found regarding the condition of the book. So it's entirely possible to have a Restored book (trimmed in this case) still print out as a blue label Universal.   :whistle:

So it is an oversight, error if you will. Unfortunately, it's the buyer that will lose out here. I find it hard to believe the original submitter did not realize it was an error. 

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

That's a good catch. Most people just look at the grade and if its Blue Green or Purple. Kind of a wake up call for all of us to examine the book you want to purchase even if its in a CGC case with blue label.

Absolutely...