• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man #300

10 posts in this topic

Hey there, folks!

I'm pretty new to all this grading stuff and would like to hear your opinion on my latest purchase (- just bought a few hours ago).

Please tell me, what your grades would be and why you would grade it like that.

I wanted to get this signature of Stan "The Man" Lee verified by CGC, but there doesn't seem to be an option to get it verified

- without having it already verified at a Comic Con or something. Unfortunately, there was no CGC official standing right next

to the deceased legend. The signature still looks valid in my opinion. If it's a fake, it's a pretty good one.

I've also seen the scratch (~ about 1", if you ask me) on the fourth picture, which doesn't seem to affect the cover and the color

doesn't seem to break. 

What do you guys think? 

Edit: color of the pages > white

Thank you for your time and all the best from Germany, :tink:

Dan

asm300_1.thumb.jpg.c042bfa422b13b87dac6c7b77ea2cfe9.jpgasm300_2.thumb.jpg.7304fa394fffb23ac2d5e150b6f51050.jpgasm300_3.thumb.jpg.167ed6c8a0e7317af6f84f9bded45175.jpgasm300_4.thumb.jpg.0b5dff9b510a7a7e7b734779fa549b91.jpgasm300_5.thumb.jpg.6be577683c2cc54abe90d8e53404c274.jpgasm300_6.thumb.jpg.4af22855780abafebb76401df4dcce2d.jpgasm300_7.thumb.jpg.4cfbd581f8b6d47b6e3fe8f2f4019177.jpg

P.S. I don't have any high hopes for this beauty. Just because of the scratch and the probably non-white pages.

I'd probably grade it with a 7.0, even if it looks nice. But I don't know, if this would be realistic. Everything higher would be great! :angel:

Edited by Dan Stripes

57 minutes ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

I don't buy comic books that are signed.....unless they are documented........it opens up a can of worms...........that scratch is a nightmare .......on a modern book it will take a big hit..................I would think 7.0 is a good guess...

Thank you for your honest opinion! That scratch is the only big thing bothering me.

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The signature looks legit, but as we all know, the Signature Series service is the only way of knowing. The book's an 8.0 IMO.

Thank you as well for your grade! Not if you pay an expert from another 3rd party grading service to find it out. It's not that cheap, but I'll do it - just to be sure.

If it comes out that it's a fake, I'm getting my money back from the seller (or ebay), because of a fraud.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:12 PM, I like pie said:

I'll never understand why anyone would pay one penny for a signature series book that was not witnessed.

There are people who made their career in forgeries. 

It's like throwing money away.

Even though I collect very few sig books, that reason alone would keep me away from CBCS.

42 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The signature looks legit, but as we all know, the Signature Series service is the only way of knowing. The book's an 8.0 IMO.

Honest question since i also recently got here. Beckett has been authenticating signatures for years. I have a signed Thor by Lee at the Baltimore Comic-con a few years back. If i know i had the pleasure of the signature in front of my eyes and a company like Beckett can "authenticate it" , would it be so crazy to have it done.?. I have NO plans to sell it, but keep for the kids, grandkids etc

3 minutes ago, RSS0429 said:

Honest question since i also recently got here. Beckett has been authenticating signatures for years. I have a signed Thor by Lee at the Baltimore Comic-con a few years back. If i know i had the pleasure of the signature in front of my eyes and a company like Beckett can "authenticate it" , would it be so crazy to have it done.?. I have NO plans to sell it, but keep for the kids, grandkids etc

Yes. Waste of money if you witnessed it yourself and have no plans of selling.

never buy a sig book that's not a yellow cgc graded witness label. There is no resell value at all. Also never buy damaged books, you really have to know what to look for, even then it is a gamble, book could have pen or marker on one of the pages. Also, with high valued books I don't use my fingers to handle the pages without latex gloves, oils from your fingers can ruin the pages of the book.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:12 AM, I like pie said:

I'll never understand why anyone would pay one penny for a signature series book that was not witnessed.

There are people who made their career in forgeries. 

It's like throwing money away.

Even though I collect very few sig books, that reason alone would keep me away from CBCS.

I'm just happy, that I've got this issue #300 with an autograph of Stan Lee on it. Some people don't know how hard it is to collect comics in Germany.

And we're just talking about collecting them, without getting them slabbed or even signed by a big player like Stan Lee. 

2015/2016 was like the first ever Comic Con here, where a few writers, artists and some old TV celebrities showed up. And if there is

something to witness, it's getting witnessed by EGS (European Grading Service) and not CGC or CBCS. I'd rather have my comic

signed by some good artist, without getting it witnessed, than getting it witnessed and graded by EGS. 2c

Edited by Dan Stripes