• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could my AF 15 benefit from a CCS press?
2 2

136 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Considering to get my CGC trimmed 1.0 Amazing Fantasy 15 pressed and cleaned by CCS, and resubmitted for grading. Was hoping to get your opinions on if a press is worth it. Could it bump the grade to a 1.5, 1.8, or even a 2.0? Do you recommend I pay $50 for a screening, or just skip it? Thanks, feedback highly appreciated.

Grader notes: 

heavy creasing to cover
multiple stain left top of back cover
multiple tape cover
multiple tape interior cover
piece out right bottom of back cover
small, multiple tear bottom of front cover
trimmed full right of whole book

97A72E2D-1C3A-4C62-B120-10DD939AB167.thumb.jpeg.7a63ca41ed32a0a54da8fed7ea5951b0.jpeg

7D487BD9-C977-4C71-990F-C57D84784FFE.thumb.jpeg.6ef96142ce208f9f5650a58de0190a80.jpeg

6AC3EF26-B73E-4BC9-A23D-5E457E316D0B.thumb.jpeg.fb245b4d4e96e792897d231f95aceafc.jpeg8782362F-CE29-460F-A2D7-FD17F0C8A1DB.thumb.jpeg.1cd864aadbe198a8bcffb51c0611f4e0.jpegE399EAA3-D3E2-49D2-AF6E-FDABED9CB1BE.thumb.jpeg.f50f55045dabfa9b4458fa433353bb41.jpegA8FCA892-6D79-4CEF-A1DD-7483A8D35416.thumb.jpeg.f3ec254a39d415165c43aae464a342b3.jpeg

Edited by Canadiancomics

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Do you have access to the grader notes? If so, could you please share them?

Joe

Here they are, just updated my original post with them too.

heavy creasing to cover
multiple tape cover

I still have NO idea how the entire right side of the book could be trimmed, but that's not the point of this thread. 

Just now, faster friends said:

I don’t see really how cleaning will help. Or pressing for that matter.

you could get a 1.5 just cause though.

never know.

It's hard to tell with it being encapsulated, but the cover is very wavy in areas, especially around Spidey's head. From what I've heard, a press could definitely flatten it, but you think it would not affect the grade? 

Well, based on the waviness of the cover, and the massive potential value hike from 1.0 to 1.5, I can see where you'd be tempted.

But realistically, a press won't solve the factors that are affecting the grade.

And you can't have the restoration removed, because it's a page trim.

I'd leave it alone as well. Reluctantly. :)

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

You may wind up with more "puckering" on the cover of the book if it were pressed. The areas near the tape will not expand and contract as much as the paper that is free to "breathe". This is one of those books you cherish as is. 

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think a press/clean will not accomplish anything. There's so much going on with this book I would be afraid of inflicting more damage. You could detach the cover or something and wind up with a 0.5 .  

It’s seems as though I’ve been getting many mixed opinions on this, also posted in a CGC group on fb and recieved over 70 comments. Some strongly agree that with a good press it’ll get a grade bump, and others think it’s too risky, and may cause more damage. Have also shown the book to a couple pressers and they too think differently. But most people have agreed that it’s best to submit my book for a screening with CCS, and they’ll determine what’s best. If they recommend a press, than I’ll go from there.

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

You may wind up with more "puckering" on the cover of the book if it were pressed. The areas near the tape will not expand and contract as much as the paper that is free to "breathe". This is one of those books you cherish as is. 

@Canadiancomics This guy is the only guy's who's opinion really matters.  If Joe doesn't think it's worth pressing don't do it (one of the reasons Joe gets my money), he could easily say yup I can press that and you could get a bump, but instead, he says don't touch it. 

As much as you'd love to get the bump instead if you decide to sell it, let someone else take the chance and sell the dream to them and charge an "unpressed" premium ;) .

2 hours ago, Canadiancomics said:

It’s seems as though I’ve been getting many mixed opinions on this, also posted in a CGC group on fb and recieved over 70 comments. Some strongly agree that with a good press it’ll get a grade bump, and others think it’s too risky, and may cause more damage. Have also shown the book to a couple pressers and they too think differently. But most people have agreed that it’s best to submit my book for a screening with CCS, and they’ll determine what’s best. If they recommend a press, than I’ll go from there.

How much experience do the pressers you are asking have?

2 hours ago, Canadiancomics said:

6 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Maybe a better question is how much skill do those pressers have - I wouldn't want someone who have been doing something poorly for a long time.  

OP, do what you think it best but Joey happens to be both experienced and skilled and many trust his opinion.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

I’m not entirely sure how long they have been pressing for, but I’ve used one of them before on multiple occasions, and he’s done an amazing jobs on all my books, they present so much better. He’s also pressed many high end keys before, told me that it looks like my af 15 would get a grade bump if I decided to send it to CCS. 

So you think it’s not even worth the $50 to send it in for a screening with CCS? 

1 hour ago, Canadiancomics said:

I’m not entirely sure how long they have been pressing for, but I’ve used one of them before on multiple occasions, and he’s done an amazing jobs on all my books, they present so much better. He’s also pressed many high end keys before, told me that it looks like my af 15 would get a grade bump if I decided to send it to CCS. 

So you think it’s not even worth the $50 to send it in for a screening with CCS? 

Books with old tape are problematic. If you want to take a chance, it is your book and you have the right to take the chance, so no one should be dogmatic with their reply. If all you would be out is $50 to see if the book has potential, I say go for it. CCS may come back and say "NO" but at least you will feel better about the overall decision. Only concern is if CCS say yes and proceeds to press the book and the spine splits, or the glue from the tape causes interior pages to stick together. Know all your options.

15 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Books with old tape are problematic. If you want to take a chance, it is your book and you have the right to take the chance, so no one should be dogmatic with their reply. If all you would be out is $50 to see if the book has potential, I say go for it. CCS may come back and say "NO" but at least you will feel better about the overall decision. Only concern is if CCS say yes and proceeds to press the book and the spine splits, or the glue from the tape causes interior pages to stick together. Know all your options.

Thanks for the information and your opinion. By the way, can you see why this book is considered to be trimmed along the entire right side of the book? I still have troubles understanding how this book could be trimmed with all of the wear on the edges. Figured you might have some knowledge. Thanks

9 minutes ago, Canadiancomics said:

By the way, can you see why this book is considered to be trimmed along the entire right side of the book? I still have troubles understanding how this book could be trimmed with all of the wear on the edges. Figured you might have some knowledge. Thanks

Looking at the Back cover pic, you can see how the inside pages fan out from the cover, excessively so. You will see this sometimes on a book with a bad spine roll but your book looks to be centered nicely. To minimize the Marvel chipping on the right edge, somebody decided to start trimming the covers.

55 minutes ago, Canadiancomics said:

Thanks for the information and your opinion. By the way, can you see why this book is considered to be trimmed along the entire right side of the book? I still have troubles understanding how this book could be trimmed with all of the wear on the edges. Figured you might have some knowledge. Thanks

What others have said is the main indicator. While there is damage from chipping, the rest of the edge is very straight. 

On 1/31/2019 at 4:22 PM, Canadiancomics said:

Here they are, just updated my original post with them too.

heavy creasing to cover
multiple tape cover

I still have NO idea how the entire right side of the book could be trimmed, but that's not the point of this thread. 

Trimming in low grade books is easily fixable FYI...you'll get a blue label but lose the Sig series....so the option

is yours.