• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could my AF 15 benefit from a CCS press?
2 2

136 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

You call it Fixing or Mask but let's be honest.  You're removing or damaging parts of books to hide restoration and deceive grading companies.

That you can reasonably point out the methods of the most reputable grading company and their subsidiary company CCS to justify your methods is pretty disheartening.  What's being done in this hobby, all for better grades or to FIX or MASK or to make money, is sad.

"You're removing or damaging parts of books to hide restoration and deceive grading companies."

AND CCS isn't? To books being sent directly to CGC fro CCS? You've got to be seriously kidding me bro

Edited by KryptoSpidey

I think tempers may have flared here a bit folks.I don't read that he HAS done this,or if he did it was on a fairly non valuable book already in a plod he experimented with to see if it did get by?

On 1/20/2020 at 5:36 PM, KryptoSpidey said:

I have multiple blue universal label low grade books that were low grade PLODS trimmed no more.....

Maybe what he's saying is it's ridiculous that these things,like tearing a trimmed edge,boring a hole,ripping of a marker piece ARE being done,are getting blue labels.I didn't get anywhere that he's doing this and then selling or anything or encouraging at all.Just that it IS being done.

Hopefully tempers will cool and it's worked out. :foryou:

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I think tempers may have flared here a bit folks.I don't read that he HAS done this,or if he did it was on a fairly non valuable book already in a plod he experimented with to see if it did get by?

Maybe what he's saying is it's ridiculous that these things,like tearing a trimmed edge,boring a hole,ripping of a marker piece ARE being done,are getting blue labels.I didn't get anywhere that he's doing this and then selling or anything or encouraging at all.Just that it IS being done.

My original thoughts to everyone, as a 12+ year board member were that a TRIMMED BOOK CAN GET A BLUE LABEL and obviously every book and circumstance are different as are all books and circumstances whether regarding trimmed PLODs or any CGC book. 

PITCH FORKS ENSUED! 

THANKS

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

You may be right, but I read that he’s saying he has successfully modified a book and gotten a blue label after and he’s advocating for doing so (because CCS does similar things).  I’ve said all I care to on this subject.   People tinkering with books aren’t going to be dissuaded until there are very harsh consequences for doing so i.e. losing lots of money, loss of reputation, etc.  It’s just sad that so much of this has become “acceptable” to so many.  I suppose it’s not surprising given that Mark Wilson works for Heritage now.  :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

My original thoughts to everyone, as a 12+ year board member were that a TRIMMED BOOK CAN GET A BLUE LABEL and obviously every book and circumstance are different as are all books and circumstances whether regarding trimmed PLODs or any CGC book. 

PITCH FORKS ENSUED! 

THANKS

do all future owners of the books you have a favor:

add a note to the slabs to indicate the books are trimmed.

I will put my pitchfork away.

4 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

do all future owners of the books you have a favor:

add a note to the slabs to indicate the books are trimmed.

I will put my pitchfork away.

I don't own any trimmed books anymore :baiting:

And the ones that were aren't worth $20.... fire starter stuff

Edited by KryptoSpidey

19 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Sorry Jimmers, he's clearly stated in this thread that he has done this.

34 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

You call it Fixing or Mask but let's be honest.  You're removing or damaging parts of books to hide restoration and deceive grading companies.

That you can reasonably point out the methods of the most reputable grading company and their subsidiary company CCS to justify your methods is pretty disheartening.  What's being done in this hobby, all for better grades or to FIX or MASK or to make money, is sad.

So how about that guy on eBay or here DILLANUNIVERSE and others selling AF 15 back covers for coverless books to make them .5 instead of NG's?

I had to point out to this poor CGC board member that he had a 1962 Marvel back cover from a Teen Romance comic for a girl not a AF 15 Back cover for sale.

Thoughts on that?

This thread escalated quickly lol. My original intent was to try and sell my AF15 and use the funds towards an unrestored copy. I figured if I could bump up the grade to a 1.5 or 1.8 it would help out a ton. After listening to many opinions I held off on getting it pressed and tried selling my copy as is. I actually got some really good offers (some over 8k) but I wasn’t able to secure another copy so I held off on selling mine. Almost landed an unrestored 1.0 but the deal fell through and I just kept this copy instead. For the last while I’ve taken a break from collecting comics and focused on original art so I haven’t been searching too hard for another AF15.

As for removing the trimming, it’s obviously too late, now that it’s signed by Stan (it’s a method that’s also very risky too). Trimming was the last thing on my mind when I got my AF15 signed by Stan and I still don’t fully understand how CGC came to that conclusion. It bothered me for a long time but I’ve learned to accept the fact.

4 minutes ago, Canadiancomics said:

This thread escalated quickly lol. My original intent was to try and sell my AF15 and use the funds towards an unrestored copy. I figured if I could bump up the grade to a 1.5 or 1.8 it would help out a ton. After listening to many opinions I held off on getting it pressed and tried selling my copy as is. I actually got some really good offers (some over 8k) but I wasn’t able to secure another copy so I held off on selling mine. Almost landed an unrestored 1.0 but the deal fell through and I just kept this copy instead. For the last while I’ve taken a break from collecting comics and focused on original art so I haven’t been searching too hard for another AF15.

As for removing the trimming, it’s obviously too late, now that it’s signed by Stan (it’s a method that’s also very risky too). Trimming was the last thing on my mind when I got my AF15 signed by Stan and I still don’t fully understand how CGC came to that conclusion. It bothered me for a long time but I’ve learned to accept the fact.

sorry for the collateral damage, but it has been an interesting conversation.

It is clear CGC still needs to address some things.

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

sorry for the collateral damage, but it has been an interesting conversation.

It is clear CGC still needs to address some things.

Haha no worries, I thought this thread died off ages ago. Think I created it in January or February of last year.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:08 PM, KryptoSpidey said:

Trimming in low grade books is easily fixable FYI...you'll get a blue label but lose the Sig series....so the option

is yours.

For posterities sake, this is the post that resurrected this thread.  Calling those of us that object to this “pitchforkers” doesn’t make much sense to me.

2 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

HOW SO BUDDY?

IT was pretty straight cut. Cut and dry point.

HE has a 1.0 Sig book. HE or SOMEONE ELSE could deslab it, deal with the trimming(even though the entire side is not as optimal a fix as just a cover) and get at worse what? a .5 Blue or still a 1.0? Seriously. Do you have a life? NOOB

However, there is zero chance a CGC witness or affiliate would be willing to preform that task, meaning I’d have to do it myself and lose the signature authenticity.

Also, the worst case scenario would be me sending it back to CGC and having it come back a 0.5, still with trimming but an unwitnessed Stan Lee signature.

8 minutes ago, Canadiancomics said:

However, there is zero chance a CGC witness or affiliate would be willing to preform that task, meaning I’d have to do it myself and lose the signature authenticity.

Also, the worst case scenario would be me sending it back to CGC and having it come back a 0.5, still with trimming but an unwitnessed Stan Lee signature.

I SAID straight up from the beginning you'd lose the CGC SIG series that wasn't part of the discussion regarding whether it could become a BLUE LABEL not a SIG YELLOW UNRESTORED LABEL

Edited by KryptoSpidey

19 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

I SAID straight up from the beginning you'd lose the CGC SIG series that wasn't part of the discussion regarding whether it could become a BLUE LABEL not a SIG YELLOW UNRESTORED LABEL

I know you did. But it’d be impossible to get a blue label if the signature isn’t verified, it would be considered “qualified” and get a 1.0 green label at best. I’m just saying that there wouldn’t be much to gain from cracking it and trying to remove the trimming. I wouldn’t send it back to CGC and I probably wouldn’t send it to CBCS so it’d just be a raw book with Stan’s signature on it and still probably have some sort of trimming, and/or an edge with a lot more damage. There’s no point.

21 minutes ago, Canadiancomics said:

I know you did. But it’d be impossible to get a blue label if the signature isn’t verified, it would be considered “qualified” and get a 1.0 green label at best. I’m just saying that there wouldn’t be much to gain from cracking it and trying to remove the trimming. I wouldn’t send it back to CGC and I probably wouldn’t send it to CBCS so it’d just be a raw book with Stan’s signature on it and still probably have some sort of trimming, and/or an edge with a lot more damage. There’s no point.

There's no 1.0 Green Qualified books for a sig buddy. That sig would be a defect. a 1.0 BLUE label or .5 Blue. NOTHING GREEN.

Either way it's your book, and all i was giving you was information about OPTIONS

Edited by KryptoSpidey

32 minutes ago, Canadiancomics said:

You, like a lot of other "CGC BOARD MEMBERS" have a lot to learn about CGC and there grading and what qualifies as a Green Label Vs Blue Label especially in low grade books where Green labels don't apply....with time young grasshopper:baiting:

Edited by KryptoSpidey

8 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

You, like a lot of other "CGC BOARD MEMBERS" have a lot to learn about CGC and there grading and what qualifies as a Green Label Vs Blue Label especially in low grade books where Green labels don't apply....with time young grasshopper:baiting:

Qualified or not, still going to say “name written on cover with marker” on the label, and end up with a 0.5. So as I said before, there’s literally zero point. Getting a 0.5 with an unwitnessed signature is my best case scenario. And that’s if I do a good enough job covering up the trimming. You’re telling me you’ve never seen low grade qualified books? Thanks for your input...

17 minutes ago, Canadiancomics said:

Qualified or not, still going to say “name written on cover with marker” on the label, and end up with a 0.5. So as I said before, there’s literally zero point. Getting a 0.5 with an unwitnessed signature is my best case scenario. And that’s if I do a good enough job covering up the trimming. You’re telling me you’ve never seen low grade qualified books? Thanks for your input...

Qualified is just exactly for that QUALIFIED. A 9.0 book with a Coupon out or name written on it...under say 5.0....its all factored into a BLUE label grade with Sigs with only extreme circumstances im sure getting a Green Label(page missing/coupon). A 1.0 or .5 will be a BLUE UNIVERSAL with "Name written on cover" or maybe not even those remarks since its BLIUE and obvious in visible site factored into the grade. CGC did away with obvious Blue label notes on low grade books a decade a go.... even stuff like DATE STAMP ect....no more. Wheres the HULK 181 cut off for coupons cut out and GREEN labels? The blue low grade books likely are missing coupons, part of a low grade factored in.....ok so i looked at Hulk 181 2.0 is the cut off for Qualified for a coupon cut out. otherwise its heading toward "incomplete" I also looked at other books with Sigs and around  VF+/- (8.0 +/-)is the cut off for GREEN labels for a SIG not verified and input as a defect towards a BLUE Label. Hope that helps

Edited by KryptoSpidey