• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasons for DC layoffs
2 2

152 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, but he was the Black Panther, not Black Daredevil.

I the other Thor gone? Is Peter Parker no longer Spiderman? So what's the big deal? 

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

It doesn’t seem a little hackey?

If the story is good (and I have to admit I haven't read Thor in a while) what's the difference? In everything, the story is what matters. Jim Rhodes as Iron Man worked, no? Azrael as Batman didn't. 

4 minutes ago, RCheli said:

If the story is good (and I have to admit I haven't read Thor in a while) what's the difference? In everything, the story is what matters. Jim Rhodes as Iron Man worked, no? Azrael as Batman didn't. 

I think it does make a difference, it’s a lack of creativity. Instead of creating a new character they’re trying to awkwardly shoehorn a minority into whatevever character.

I don’t count Jim Rhodes as that was fairly organic, though coming out of the ridiculous alcoholic storyline was also awkward.

47 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, but he was the Black Panther, not Black Daredevil.

39 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I would buy Black Daredevil.

:D

T’Challa did cover for Daredevil for a short time, after the Shadowlands storyline.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

She was not hired because she was a 'best selling' 'award winning' author, as you claimed.  She did win an award, but pretty much the lowest level award you can get-an 'independent publishing' award.  I dont know if that means vanity press but I wouldn't be surprised.  So Marvel hires this person with essentially no qualifications.  The question becomes why.  There are many who believe it was to check off a box, and it's hard to argue against that.  She really didn't bring anything else to the table.

Look, just stop. Really. You're arguing with yourself and you just look worse and worse (which I didn't think possible). I do not work at Marvel or DC, but I do work in a creative field and it is imperative that one hires people with different points of view, because God knows we have plenty of that coming from white men (of which I am one). If you feel you need to start splitting hairs on the level of her awards or how many books she's sold, you're missing the point. 

4 minutes ago, RCheli said:

because God knows we have plenty of that coming from white men (of which I am one).

That's a racist and sexist statement.

One, I'm sure, which few have a problem with, but I'm pointing it out. 

Otherwise, you're doing yeoman's work, so carry on.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's a racist statement.

One, I'm sure, which few have a problem with, but I'm pointing it out. 

Is it? It's racist to look to hire people that aren't white men? It would be racist to NOT hire white men or to hire someone less qualified than a white man, but to not take into consideration where someone may come from and thus offer up something different is bad business. 

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It is.

Look, you have been consistently wrong over countless... 

Oh, wait. Wrong person. Never mind. 

Edit: And it's not. I'm not sure why you think that trying to hire a more diverse group of creatives to better find different ways of producing work would be racist. 

Edited by RCheli

8 hours ago, RCheli said:

I love Robbins -- especially his Johnny Hazard strip. I've probably got about 30 different magazine collections of that, and it (IMO) puts Caniff to shame.

I liked some of his comic art -- especially his Batman and anything with Man-Bat -- but he was much better in the newspaper.

As a fan of Milton Caniff, I have to agree that Robbins’ newspaper strips were quite nice, though I’d still rate Caniff much higher.

Dark chiaroscuro art suits characters such as Batman and The Shadow, but Robbins shouldn’t have been let loose on brighter, more colourful characters such as Captain America and The Invaders, nor allowed to change from a realistic Caniff style to failed attempts at Kirby-like forced perspective, with comparatively little practice for the transition and clearly well outside his familiar comfort zone, with derisive consequences for him.

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

As a fan of Milton Caniff, I have to agree that Robbins’ newspaper strips were quite nice, though I’d still rate Caniff much higher.

Dark chiaroscuro art suits characters such as Batman and The Shadow, but Robbins shouldn’t have been let loose on brighter, more colourful characters such as Captain America and The Invaders, nor allowed to change from a realistic Caniff style to failed attempts at Kirby-like forced perspective, with comparatively little practice for the transition and clearly well outside his familiar comfort zone, with derisive consequences for him.

I still enjoy Caniff, but I liked Robbins' overall work better (story and art). I like Roy Crane better than Caniff too. 

And I agree with your take on his Marvel work. I think between a new size, a new style, and a different way of telling a story, he didn't cut it. But that doesn't mean his overall work isn't great. 

22 minutes ago, RCheli said:

Edit: And it's not. 

It is. It is the textbook definition of it.

22 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I'm not sure why you think that trying to hire a more diverse group of creatives to better find different ways of producing work would be racist. 

That depends. If that diversity is based on immutable characteristics, rather than points of view, it is, by definition, the "-ist" of whatever immutable characteristic is being discussed.

I would say more, but this board, generally, doesn't tolerate what it perceives as "arguments."

If it helps, I agree with most everything else you've said. :)

No one wants this guy to fail.

I want to buy Batgirl every month.

I just recently purchased an original Batgirl page of OA.

I would love to buy a page from this guy when he gets good.

Every artist I have ever heard of had a rough go of it didn't they?

BWS drawing Avengers on a park bench.

They wouldn't even let Neal Adams in the door.

McFarlane had an entire finished book rejected.

Weren't pages of the original Hulk rejected and torn up?

Tearing apart art is all part of the game. It's so you can get better.

This is a computer colored layout at best, possibly fraud at worst.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:25 PM, Doohickamabob said:

So this is from a Batgirl comic? Which one? Is the rest of the art as bad as this panel? How does something like this exist, and how does it get past professional editors? It's like they used a computer to draw the room, and just had a template of a room and added bathroom stuff with a few mouse clicks, or something. It is astonishingly awful.

You should see how Marvel's drawing their comics sans the Star Wars ones, lol. Makes this look like Picasso. The new comic by Rob Liefeld so far has been my most favorite example.

Edited by Skylath

15 hours ago, kav said:
On 1/31/2019 at 9:58 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

If it is him, he's certainly led everyone on a wild goose chase with this one panel hasn't he.

I don't mind the art at all. It's not as offensively lazy as Byrne art for example, which lays claim to be among the best. Or as anatomically unrealistic as some other praised artists that I could mention. The floor is vinyl. The only real oddity is the door. Maybe it was a joke, a bit of playing around? Maybe his mate owns a flat like it, and its an in joke. Good for him if so, it's got everyone talking. 

Things changing shape from panel to panel is hardly new is it. The mirror is indeed smaller, and missing the edging in the close up panels that is present in the distant. But we don't know the pressure the artist was under to deliver it. Maybe he was rushing. I've Google'd him and he clearly has talent. A young talented artist who may one day develop a more distinctive style that sets him apart. It doesn't have the old world charm to us older readers, but it may be looked back on with fondness in 20 years time by today's young reader.

There has always been workman like art in comics. This guy's work is nowhere near as bad as you lot are making out. The style is in line with the times, for good or worse. Let's hope he never gets to see this. 

If you have to make a bunch of excuses like maybe he was rushing maybe it was a joke maybe he had a broken finger maybe aliens etc yeah that's bad art.  The style is definitely in line with the times, which is why it's generally accepted that most modern comics suck really bad.  He clearly does not have talent, IMO.  I cant see anyone ever looking back with fondness at this stuff, just like no one looks back with fondness at Frank Robbins.  

Kav, you really think this guy doesn't have any talent?

Blogpic1.png

I disagree. It may not be to your - or my - taste, but I would certainly not say the guy has no talent. I don't like Byrne's art, violently, but I accept he has talent. It's just not to my taste. 

I think it is possible to identify a lack of talent in any field in life, that would meet with more or less common consensus. But I feel this guy is getting a load of stick for one panel, when his overall body of work unquestionably indicates a talent for comic book art. If he was your son, and came home from school with the above art portfolio, are you really saying you would advise him he's talentless and should focus his energies elsewhere?

So this is my further contribution - sticking up for someone who I feel you are unfairly traducing. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:06 AM, kav said:

Ok it's not Albaquerque it seems to be if I'm not mistaken Christian Wildgoose who is responsible for this mess...

If I'm not mistaken, it's Roge Antonio.

1 hour ago, Batman said:

If I'm not mistaken, it's Roge Antonio.

Can he draw, Batman?

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Comma chameleon