• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasons for DC layoffs
2 2

152 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Isn't that the truth Think about the embarrassment of riches once enjoyed by fans - Kirby, Ditko, Romita, Adams, Colan, Steranko, Smith, Wrightson, and so on. And before them Frazetta, Wood, Feldstein, Toth, Davis, et al. Going back further you have Boring, Finger, Fine, Schomburg, Eisner, Cole, Baker... Nearly every boardie I'd wager with more than 100 posts would score near perfect on an exam of their representative work. (thumbsu

Its weird that when comics were made mostly for kids, they were top notch.  As soon as they became adult fodder, they got cruddy.  

7 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

That is a bit ironic. hm

It really is and I have no explanation for it.  The stories were better and better written, now they are corny garbage.  Cause it's for adults.  Are adults stupid?  I dont know.  
"I'm all damn three!!!"
Stan Lee would never write something like that.  Corny AF.  It's like modern writers learn to write from watching TV dramas and sitcoms.  Corn.  
Stan Lee and other old school writers had a solid foundation in literature.  Now we got millenials writing and they never heard of orwell or sinclair and the last actual book they ever read was probably Captain Underpants.

Edited by kav

6 minutes ago, kav said:

It's like modern writers learn to write from watching TV dramas and sitcoms.  Corn.  

Can this be yet another consequence of giving kids participation trophies and over-developing their self-esteem?  (shrug)

Edited by PopKulture

2 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Can this be yet another consequence of giving kids participation trophies and over-developing their self-esteem?  (shrug)

I think reading has declined over the years.  People watch TV.  Most people under 35 seem to think it's 'flicked off' not 'flipped off'.  This indicates they have never read the phrase but only misheard it.  

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Stan Lee and other old school writers had a solid foundation in literature.  Now we got millenials writing and they never heard of orwell or sinclair and the last actual book they ever read was probably Captain Underpants.

And young people these days would really benefit from reading Orwell. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

Where do you find pink toilet paper? 

The toilet paper matches, but the stripes on the shower curtain (or shadows) change in every panel...very odd...maybe they did this on purpose, it's supposed to be a puzzle.

Sha, I think the shower curtain is a solid colour but the "artist" is trying to give the impression of "waviness" by alluding to different shades as the thing "moves".

And the latch is actually the shower curtain rail. Held in place by a Skyhook.

No idea what the "wall space that looks like a door" is.

3 hours ago, kav said:

if I'm not mistaken Christian Wildgoose who is responsible for this mess

If it is him, he's certainly led everyone on a wild goose chase with this one panel hasn't he.

I don't mind the art at all. It's not as offensively lazy as Byrne art for example, which lays claim to be among the best. Or as anatomically unrealistic as some other praised artists that I could mention. The floor is vinyl. The only real oddity is the door. Maybe it was a joke, a bit of playing around? Maybe his mate owns a flat like it, and its an in joke. Good for him if so, it's got everyone talking. 

Things changing shape from panel to panel is hardly new is it. The mirror is indeed smaller, and missing the edging in the close up panels that is present in the distant. But we don't know the pressure the artist was under to deliver it. Maybe he was rushing. I've Google'd him and he clearly has talent. A young talented artist who may one day develop a more distinctive style that sets him apart. It doesn't have the old world charm to us older readers, but it may be looked back on with fondness in 20 years time by today's young reader.

There has always been workman like art in comics. This guy's work is nowhere near as bad as you lot are making out. The style is in line with the times, for good or worse. Let's hope he never gets to see this. 

18 hours ago, Alf Pogs said:

That photoshop glow effect in all these new books drives me crazy.

It’s worse than that. I noticed that DC has also started adding similar effects to remasters of Silver Age comics.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

20 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

This thread = :preach:

I mean, yeah, that page is not good, but there's a lot of grumpy grampys in here, geez!

I’m certain that Frank Robbins at his worst would never have drawn a bathroom installation quite that bad, though.

That said, there are some good modern comic artists. I’m maybe a rarity amongst the board’s senior citizens. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’m certain that Frank Robbins at his worst would never have drawn a bathroom installation quite that bad, though.

To be fair, I think all of the criticisms of that particular page are well founded. It's pretty hilarious. It's just the general deevolution of the conversation into "Millenials are the worst" that we seem to come to over and over again around here. And I say that as a forty-something with a snowy white beard. 

Barry Windsor-Smith did an interview in the mid 90s, and in it, he mentioned Liefeld. The story goes that Barry had been to Liefeld's place, or knew someone who had, and that Liefeld had not a single actual book anywhere to be seen, there were nothing but comic books everywhere.

If your entire reference library consists of "reference" material from the medium you already work in, you're going to have problems...

It is, by the way, why we are doing all the "reboots" in TV and film. Actual creative work is hard. Regurgitating other people's work that was successful in the past...? Piece of cake.

The cessation of original creative output is a major symptom of a dying culture.

10 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Do I at least get to specify that the majority of those one hundred posts be outside the arena of topics like key comics for under ten bucks?  :shy:

Absolutely. I’ll still take that wager as there are a lot of people here who like comic$ not comics.