• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasons for DC layoffs
2 2

152 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

If it is him, he's certainly led everyone on a wild goose chase with this one panel hasn't he.

I don't mind the art at all. It's not as offensively lazy as Byrne art for example, which lays claim to be among the best. Or as anatomically unrealistic as some other praised artists that I could mention. The floor is vinyl. The only real oddity is the door. Maybe it was a joke, a bit of playing around? Maybe his mate owns a flat like it, and its an in joke. Good for him if so, it's got everyone talking. 

Things changing shape from panel to panel is hardly new is it. The mirror is indeed smaller, and missing the edging in the close up panels that is present in the distant. But we don't know the pressure the artist was under to deliver it. Maybe he was rushing. I've Google'd him and he clearly has talent. A young talented artist who may one day develop a more distinctive style that sets him apart. It doesn't have the old world charm to us older readers, but it may be looked back on with fondness in 20 years time by today's young reader.

There has always been workman like art in comics. This guy's work is nowhere near as bad as you lot are making out. The style is in line with the times, for good or worse. Let's hope he never gets to see this. 

If you have to make a bunch of excuses like maybe he was rushing maybe it was a joke maybe he had a broken finger maybe aliens etc yeah that's bad art.  The style is definitely in line with the times, which is why it's generally accepted that most modern comics suck really bad.  He clearly does not have talent, IMO.  I cant see anyone ever looking back with fondness at this stuff, just like no one looks back with fondness at Frank Robbins.  

Edited by kav

17 hours ago, NamesJay said:

Kidding of course, but...

This has been going around the Internet.

Anyone know any more about the context of this scene?

Hope it isn’t just lazy artistry...

D58503B0-133B-4AEA-915C-D6C1E4B0FB8F.jpeg

looks like the outcome of a pretty straight forward renovation.

Probably used to be a shower stall in the corner (which allowed for egress for the door)

which was then renovated to a tub and a slot bar lock put on the door so it's not accidentally opened from the other side. (cheaper than rebuilding the wall)

The other door (seen in the full picture) may have already been there (like a bathroom with egress to the house and to the master bedroom)

the tile was already down.

plus the sink/vanity looks like one of the newer models so it also points to a recent refurbish.

does not give me pause...

9 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

looks like the outcome of a pretty straight forward renovation.

Probably used to be a shower stall in the corner (which allowed for egress for the door)

which was then renovated to a tub and a slot bar lock put on the door so it's not accidentally opened from the other side. (cheaper than rebuilding the wall)

The other door (seen in the full picture) may have already been there (like a bathroom with egress to the house and to the master bedroom)

the tile was already down.

plus the sink/vanity looks like one of the newer models so it also points to a recent refurbish.

does not give me pause...

Once again if you have to come up with a bunch of explanations to explain art, it's bad.  "Well sure spiderman looks crooked but he might have had surgery.  Also there could be some atmospheric effects or maybe he's purposely bending weird like that for a joke".  Nope.

Tip for artists: if people have to try to make sense of your drawing by saying maybe it was a bad renovation or a joke-um you probably suck.

Edited by kav

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Just texted this to my friend... yes at midnight since I know he is up. 

This is what he pointed out.

That is NOT a latch on the door.  Look closely at the whole image and blow it up.  That is supposed to be a towel rack or something to hang stuff off of in the shower. That is how he sees it.  If that is the case who puts that over the door between apartments and the wall?

His words, "This guy's license should be revoked." 

That is not a door latch. That is a free-standing SHOWER CURTAIN rod attached at only one point to the wall.

5 minutes ago, sckao said:

That is not a door latch. That is a free-standing SHOWER CURTAIN rod attached at only one point to the wall.

Omg you're right-WTH?????

If people like Robbins-are there ANY comic artists that are bad?  Some people like Liefeld.   This seems to argue that bad comics artists simply do not exist.  They're all good.

2 minutes ago, Avi said:

the "door" doesnt have a handle...so maybe its not a door at all! just a bad accent wall?

but the shower curtain rod is just hanging out there. Thats the real issue here!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say if people look at your art and say 'maybe' a lot-well you probably suck.

No one looked at Neal Adams or John Romita panels and said 'maybe-'

Edited by kav

I love how we're comparing the best artists of the Gold/Silver/Bronze ages against some penciller who drew a crappy page in Batgirl. "Why can't today's artist draw like Steranko or Smith?" I don't see anyone running bad/mediocre artists of those eras out there to go against this guy. I mean, I have read a ton of comics from Marvel/DC from the 50s-80s with awful art. Let's pull out pages of crummy Werner Roth art or Larry Leiber.

I suspect that the page that everyone is complaining about was corrected in house, and the original artist didn't have a door there or maybe even the tub. 

11 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

I have talked to plenty of people who like Frank Robbins, and not just his writing, but his art as well. 

I love Robbins -- especially his Johnny Hazard strip. I've probably got about 30 different magazine collections of that, and it (IMO) puts Caniff to shame.

I liked some of his comic art -- especially his Batman and anything with Man-Bat -- but he was much better in the newspaper.

1 minute ago, RCheli said:

I love how we're comparing the best artists of the Gold/Silver/Bronze ages against some penciller who drew a crappy page in Batgirl. "Why can't today's artist draw like Steranko or Smith?" I don't see anyone running bad/mediocre artists of those eras out there to go against this guy. I mean, I have read a ton of comics from Marvel/DC from the 50s-80s with awful art. Let's pull out pages of crummy Werner Roth art or Larry Leiber.

I suspect that the page that everyone is complaining about was corrected in house, and the original artist didn't have a door there or maybe even the tub. 

Fair point.  But can you say who are at the level of steranko smith or adams today?  I cant.  

And once again you're trying to 'maybe' an explanation for this carp.  'Maybe it was corrected in house-'

2 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I love Robbins -- especially his Johnny Hazard strip. I've probably got about 30 different magazine collections of that, and it (IMO) puts Caniff to shame.

I liked some of his comic art -- especially his Batman and anything with Man-Bat -- but he was much better in the newspaper.

This really looks ok to you?  Not just ok but you 'love' it?

nomad.jpg

45 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

15274.jpg.b5e52a98d3480bf913f9d60ff635be

:frown:

That’s mostly a joke. Any flipping I do is to help with my collection. I don’t buy books to just have, I read them. I’m a reader first, collector second, flipper third.

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

That’s mostly a joke. Any flipping I do is to help with my collection. I don’t buy books to just have, I read them. I’m a reader first, collector second, flipper third.

Was just kidding.  Thought it was funny in reference to your post.lol

1 minute ago, kav said:

This really looks ok to you?  Not just ok but you 'love' it?

nomad.jpg

Do you want me to point out all the really bad Steranko, Smith, Adams, et al panels? Because they did some bad stuff. 

What about this from Robbins? That's terrific: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uZMPVFAFJD8/St87zz6gHfI/AAAAAAAAGSM/RIpcUqQokXQ/s1600-h/jh2.jpg

1 minute ago, RCheli said:

Do you want me to point out all the really bad Steranko, Smith, Adams, et al panels? Because they did some bad stuff. 

What about this from Robbins? That's terrific: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uZMPVFAFJD8/St87zz6gHfI/AAAAAAAAGSM/RIpcUqQokXQ/s1600-h/jh2.jpg

Ok let me ask you this-are there ANY bad comic artists?

And ps frank robbins THIS is how people jump-the arms and legs alternate:

Screenshot 2019-01-31 at 11.11.15 AM.png

Edited by kav