• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cold Weather and Shipping
3 3

43 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I got a slab today in the mail and I think the cold weather shipping and then the quick warming inside my home may have warped the mylar inside the slab.  Has anyone ever seen this happen before or did I just get a crappy slab:roflmao:

It can happen.  The thermal coefficient of linear expansion of Mylar® is 1.7 × 10–5 in/in/°C (9.5 × 10–6 in/in/°F)

Well it IS really really cold .... of your located Midwest or etc, but I'm sure the north has dealt with some cold and this is the first that I've heard of such....

I've ordered from Dave and Adams in New York.... still no 

But that would be a testament of just how cold it is this year brrrr!!!  :foryou:

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Where do you live, how cold are we talking about ? This is an interesting topic as I have always been suspicious that extreme weather conditions can harm the slab.    

I'm in MD.  It's not as cold as Chicago now, Ii's about 12 degrees but the slab was on my doorstep all day.  I was also concerned with moisture condensing on the inside when I brought it inside my home and maybe damaging the book itself....

Edited by Xenosmilus

1 minute ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Can you dumb it up a little for us layman?

ok what it is is cold weather contracts mylar, sudden increases like when ya take it in house causes sudden expansion and it doesnt happen evenly is what happens.

1 minute ago, kav said:

ok what it is is cold weather contracts mylar, sudden increases like when ya take it in house causes sudden expansion and it doesnt happen evenly is what happens.

I believe you but what is the proper way of handling this situation ? Possibly, leaving it in the box for a while inside the house. (shrug)

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I believe you but what is the proper way of handling this situation ? Possibly, leaving it in the box for a while inside the house. (shrug)

Good question.  Just shootin from the hip here but that sounds like a good plan.  but if its colder outside than your freezer, maybe put in freezer for and hour to slowly warm, then into fridge for an hour then out to room thats not too warm.  Then open the box after a hour.

Edited by kav

Unreal. I was just thinking about this because I got a slab in the mail today from comiclink via fed-ex and it was in the teens today. It was outside for no more than 20 minutes but then again how warm can the back of a fed-ex or a PO truck be plus I believe the comic came from Maine.

The slab I got was a current generation one and it looks fine (Warlock #1 9.2 hehe). But I don't know Xeno, seems to me that if a slab was outside in below freezing temperature long enough for it to actually freeze then yes it probably can damage the comic.

How does it look? What Generation slab is it?

2 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I have some slabs coming from Canada right now. Its like -15 in Chicago so I imagine its like 200 below there. Going to be interesting to see what happens here since we are in record low temps.

It's like minus 500 in Manitoba right now!

Just now, Ride the Tiger said:

I have some slabs coming from Canada right now. Its like -15 in Chicago so I imagine its like 200 below there. Going to be interesting to see what happens here since we are in record low temps.

Maybe you can ask your PO to keep it there for pick up if there is a chance they'll be outside all day. 

7 minutes ago, kc2112 said:

Unreal. I was just thinking about this because I got a slab in the mail today from comiclink via fed-ex and it was in the teens today. It was outside for no more than 20 minutes but then again how warm can the back of a fed-ex or a PO truck be plus I believe the comic came from Maine.

The slab I got was a current generation one and it looks fine (Warlock #1 9.2 hehe). But I don't know Xeno, seems to me that if a slab was outside in below freezing temperature long enough for it to actually freeze then yes it probably can damage the comic.

How does it look? What Generation slab is it?

It probably was outside for 2 hours or so.  It's a bronze age Marvel book second gen slab. The book looks fine but the maylar looks warped badly.  I will probably have to get it re-slabed.

Edited by Xenosmilus

had a slab come in today to Maryland (single digits but not -50) . It experienced drastic weather changes since it came from Hawaii! Its an '07 slab. And was only outside for an hour, but was obviously in the truck for a while before that.

Slab is fine, book is fine. No problems.

Edited by miraclemet

1 minute ago, kc2112 said:

Maybe you can ask your PO to keep it there for pick up if there is a chance they'll be outside all day. 

Actually by the time it gets here it will be back to 30s maybe 40s but who knows what kind of temps its going to sustain in transition? :ohnoez:

1 minute ago, Xenosmilus said:

It probably was outside for 2 hours or so.  It's a bronze age Marvel book. The book looks fine but the maylar looks warped badly.  I will probably have to get it re-slabed.

Yeah it probably did warp it. Shame, it cost 33.00 to get a re-holder plus the cost to ship it to them. On the bright side those new slabs are sweet. I'd like to get all my 2nd gen slabs re-holdered.

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

It's like minus 500 in Manitoba right now!

"Only" -50 with the windchill.

It's been a bad week, but it's supposed to be back to reasonable temperatures by Friday.

9 minutes ago, kc2112 said:

It was outside for no more than 20 minutes but then again how warm can the back of a fed-ex or a PO truck be plus I believe the comic came from Maine.

Inside the trucks, packages might be better off now than during ridiculous summer heat, but shipping fragile items always has its problems and risks.