• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cold Weather and Shipping
3 3

43 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Pics would be cool :foryou:

Pun not intended.... too soon :eek:

I just tried.  The warping doesn't show in the photo.  That being said it could have been like that all along and I didn't notice it on eBay....

Edit: It's still a good topic to discuss though!

Edited by Xenosmilus

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

"Only" -50 with the windchill.

It's been a bad week, but it's supposed to be back to reasonable temperatures by Friday.

Inside the trucks, packages might be better off now than during ridiculous summer heat, but shipping fragile items always has its problems and risks.

I was moaning about how cold it's been in Ottawa,been fairly consistently minus thirty or colder with the wind,until a friend in Winterpeg mentioned their weather.

You should hear my TO friends go on... 🙄

I too am in MD and while the following response doesn't speak directly to the OP's question, historically if I receive a slab(s) in the winter and it's cold out I generally place the box in the garage (garage is warmer than the outside temp) for a few hours before bringing it in the warmer house.  I've always been concerned that very cold slab or any book for that matter could develop condensation if it gets warm to fast.  I "ain't" a physicist so I may be completely off base. 

After more reading of this post, I guess my response is relevant to the gist of the OP's question. 

Edited by JohnFranklin

9 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I just tried.  The warping doesn't show in the photo.  That being said it could have been like that all along and I didn't notice it on eBay....

Edit: It's still a good topic to discuss though!

You bought the first apperence of Magneto didn't you?  

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:
1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I have some slabs coming from Canada right now. Its like -15 in Chicago so I imagine its like 200 below there. Going to be interesting to see what happens here since we are in record low temps.

It's like minus 500 in Manitoba right now!

You frostbacks love that chit. :baiting: 

I was walking outside without a jacket today! Well above freezing and no snow... got to love a good chinook.

Of course, that will all change on Friday... :tonofbricks:

Ps the freezing scenes in that movie are beyond ridiculous.  Like guy gets out of chopper and freezes instantly.  Even liquid nitrogen would not freeze this fast.  If it was that cold there would be no atmosphere-it would all be liquid.  

4 hours ago, kav said:

It can happen.  The thermal coefficient of linear expansion of Mylar® is 1.7 × 10–5 in/in/°C (9.5 × 10–6 in/in/°F)

I give up. I no longer consider myself one of the board’s science nerds.

7 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:
5 hours ago, kav said:

It can happen.  The thermal coefficient of linear expansion of Mylar® is 1.7 × 10–5 in/in/°C (9.5 × 10–6 in/in/°F)

I give up. I no longer consider myself one of the board’s science nerds.

-it can happen.

-8 here in Iowa today. Yesterday it got down to -20. 2nd day in a row no postal services. I am expecting a couple things but I’m not frustrated about it...I can understand giving the workers the time off. Meanwhile Amazon drones are getting packages to its Prime Members by way of telepathic transference. 

31 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Don't feel bad. I read Kavs statement 6 times and all I got out of it was a headache.

Basically, changing the temperature of anything will cause it to expand or contract, depending on the material. I know the original questions were concerning plastic, but water is especially insidious, because as it cools, it contracts and becomes more dense, thus allowing more water to occupy the same space, however, the moment it freezes, (transitions from a liquid to a solid), it suddenly expands. This is how water destroys pavement and why so many have been reporting ice quakes this past few days around the Midwest and Northeast. 

Why-Does-Water-Expand-When-it-Freezes.jpg