• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hierarchy of Golden Age Comics (2019 Edition)
1 1

58 posts in this topic

For a many years now, I have started Golden Age "hierarchy" threads to see where collectors rank the best of the best, up to this point in time. If you'd like to see my 2018 edition, you can find it HERE and if you'd like to see my 2017 edition, you can find it HERE. I'm a little earlier than usual this year, but I think it will be fun to discuss. 

I preface these posts by stating the obvious: there are no right or wrong answers. You could create your list based on any criteria you'd like. My list leans much more on historical significance this year than it did last year. I encourage discussion and for different collectors to share different points of view.

I do not collect Archie comic books, my focus has always been superheroes, so I've kept my list DC, Timely and Fawcett exclusive. Feel free to add in whatever books from whatever publishers you'd like. I didn't give my list too much thought. If I did, I'd probably continue to keep changing it up.

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Marvel Comics #1

4. Superman #1

5. Batman #1

6. Captain America Comics #1

7. All-Star Comics #8

8. Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

9. All-American Comics #16

10. Flash Comics #1

11. Detective Comics #33

12. Detective Comics #38

13. More Fun Comics #73

14. All-Star Comics #3

15. Detective Comics #31

16. Action Comics #7

17. More Fun Comics #52

18. Action Comics #23

19. Sensation Comics #1

20. Action Comics #2

21. Detective Comics #28

22. Action Comics #29

23. Action Comics #10

24. Action Comics #13

25. Adventure Comics #40

That's my list, subject to change and open for discussion. What does yours look like?

Great picks. Just wanted to give your work a quick acknowledgement and respect. I will study it, compare it to your other lists, and view the landscape thru your eyes. Thank you. 

One observation: with the passing of Stan Lee, there’s an argument Cap 3 should be in the list somewhere 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

7 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Great picks. Just wanted to give your work a quick acknowledgement and respect. I will study it, compare it to your other lists, and view the landscape thru your eyes. Thank you. 

One observation: with the passing of Stan Lee, there’s an argument Cap 3 should be in the list somewhere 

From a demand standpoint, been asked for cap 3 much more frequently than 10+ issues listed above...mileage may vary 

39 minutes ago, Forbush-Man said:

The Cap #3 may just be a temporary market situation due to the recent passing of Stan Lee & that issue being his first published work, just MHO. 

I think it’ll have legs. First of all, it’s Cap. Second of all, it’s Schomburg. To me it’s the Stan lee connection that resonates, but it’s also a classic  cover and the first cover appearance of his arch-nemesis, the Red Skull.

It’s been on fire for 5 years and will appeal to even the youngest collectors as they evolve into the obsessed maniacs they will soon be

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

I am in full agreement with the top 10 (this year anyway) I do think the Cap 3 deserves a bit more placement as others have mentioned. There are a few others that I would personally rank somewhat differently but those are always open to debate. Really fine work!

As someone who has been a collector for a very long time its really interesting to see how a list like this has changed over time such as when did Red Raven fall off the list? WDC&S and so many others that were former grail books, very different list in the 70's.

1 hour ago, lpsunburst said:

I am in full agreement with the top 10 (this year anyway) I do think the Cap 3 deserves a bit more placement as others have mentioned. There are a few others that I would personally rank somewhat differently but those are always open to debate. Really fine work!

As someone who has been a collector for a very long time its really interesting to see how a list like this has changed over time such as when did Red Raven fall off the list? WDC&S and so many others that were former grail books, very different list in the 70's.

When was the last time the BIG 2 weren’t in that position ?  Not even considered the Big 2 ?  I am also not an Archie guy but that’s a Top 10 

Edited by Chicago Boy

52 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

When was the last time the BIG 2 weren’t in that position ?  Not even considered the Big 2 ?  I am also not an Archie guy but that’s a Top 10 

If I remember correctly, in the early 90s Marvel 1 was top dog (per Overstreet) for a brief period.  

Just for kicks, let's see how your 25 stack up against the Duck-heavy top 25 from 40 years ago. Here's Overstreet's list from 1979:

Rank           Issue                            Value

1         Marvel Comics 1                $10,000

2         Action Comics 1                   8,400   

3         Motion Picture Funnies 1     7,500

4         Whiz Comics 1                     5,000

5         Detective Comics 27            4,500

6         Superman 1                         4,200

7         Wow Comics 1                     3,000

8         Captain Marvel Advs. 1        2,500

9         Walt Disney C & S 1             2,500

10       Captain America  1               2,400

11       Batman 1                               2,400

12       More Fun Comics 52             2,400

13       Donald Ducks Tells About Kites (SCE)      2100

14       Boy Explorers 2                     2,000

15       Marvel Mystery 5                   1,800

16       Marvel Mystery 2                   1,800

17       More Fun 53                          1,800

18       Action Comics 2                     1,800

19       Red Raven 1                          1,800

20       Four Color 9 (DD)                   1,800

21       March of Comics 4 (DD)         1,800

22       Donald Duck Tells About Kites  (PGE)     1800

23       Donald Duck Black and White 20             1600

24       Whiz Comics 2 (3)                   1,500

25      Donald Duck Black and White 16               1400

And honorable mention:

26      Mickey Mouse FC 16                1,400

I love the fact that the 1979 list includes WDCS 1 and Four Color 9.

That Pep 22 is missing from both lists is quite interesting... 

And a darling book of the late 90's and early 2000's, Detective 1, is also absent from both lists.  hm

12 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Just for kicks, let's see how your 25 stack up against the Duck-heavy top 25 from 40 years ago. Here's Overstreet's list from 1979:

1         Marvel Comics 1                $10,000

2         Action Comics 1                   8,400   

3         Motion Picture Funnies 1     7,500

4         Whiz Comics 1                     5,000

5         Detective Comics 27            4,500

6         Superman 1                         4,200

7         Wow Comics 1                     3,000

8         Captain Marvel Advs. 1        2,500

9         Walt Disney C & S 1             2,500

10       Captain America  1               2,400

11       Batman 1                               2,400

12       More Fun Comics 52             2,400

13       Donald Ducks Tells About Kites (SCE)      2100

14       Boy Explorers 2                     2,000

15       Marvel Mystery 5                   1,800

16       Marvel Mystery 2                   1,800

17       More Fun 53                          1,800

18       Action Comics 2                     1,800

19       Red Raven 1                          1,800

20       Four Color 9 (DD)                   1,800

21       March of Comics 4 (DD)         1,800

23       Donald Duck Black and White 20             1600

24       Whiz Comics 2 (3)                   1,500

25      Donald Duck Black and White 16               1400

And honorable mention:

26      Mickey Mouse FC 16                1,400

This is shocking 

1 hour ago, Tsp99 said:

If I remember correctly, in the early 90s Marvel 1 was top dog (per Overstreet) for a brief period.  

80s yes, but after the 89 Batman movie it switched back to Action 1/Tec 27. 

The first Sotheby's auction in late 91 helped drive that point home when the Tec 27 there sold for $50K

I was having a discussion with some long time dealers at the Shoff Show here in VA last weekend and we all remembered when book value was driven by key content as opposed to key covers, somewhat evident in this list looking at the position of a book like AC 2.

33 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Why was this book so valuable, among all the various "scarce" D. Duck giveaways and early appearances?

There's a decent looking copy available on ebay right now for $700, so clearly it wasn't the best investment opportunity on the list. 

It's so much "fun" to speculate on the particular ordering of books that I will never own...   :sorry:

Just a few slight tweaks from Wayne-Tec's original list in forming my top ten. I think Pep 22 is a mega-key, but in my mind it just doesn't depose any of these heavyweights.

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Marvel Comics #1

4. Superman #1

5. Captain America Comics #1

6. Batman #1

7. Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

8. All-Star Comics #8

9. Flash Comics #1

10. All-American Comics #16

10 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

I was having a discussion with some long time dealers at the Shoff Show here in VA last weekend and we all remembered when book value was driven by key content as opposed to key covers, somewhat evident in this list looking at the position of a book like AC 2.

Yep, covers have overtaken contents.  Like it or not, we're in the slab era.

Suspense 3, Fantastic 3, Detective 31, Action 7.    But, hey, I do luv me a good cover as much as the next boardie.  :foryou: