• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hierarchy of Golden Age Comics (2019 Edition)
1 1

58 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Why was this book so valuable, among all the various "scarce" D. Duck giveaways and early appearances?

There's a decent looking copy available on ebay right now for $700, so clearly it wasn't the best investment opportunity on the list. 

Fandom was Duck-crazed, no doubt. Plus the Duck books got bumps from things like Overstreet 7 (feature on Barks) and all the Duck paintings Barks was doing. 

As far as investments: no, the Duck giveaways didn't prove to be the investment the following books did (if you could find them in 1979):

Fantastic 3    -    $75

Startling 49   -     $18

Suspense 3   -    $21

Or how about a nice Cinderella Love 25 for $4.50? (that's four dollars and fifty cents, mind you):roflmao:

Edited by PopKulture

15 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Marvel Comics #1

4. Superman #1

5. Batman #1

6. Captain America Comics #1

7. All-Star Comics #8

8. Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

9. All-American Comics #16

10. Flash Comics #1

Based on a considerations of historical significance, pop culture significance, and current demand, this top 10 is spot on.  

45 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

I was having a discussion with some long time dealers at the Shoff Show here in VA last weekend and we all remembered when book value was driven by key content as opposed to key covers, somewhat evident in this list looking at the position of a book like AC 2.

Book value was probably to some extent (still being?) driven by lobbying...

Edited by pemart1966

15 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

For a many years now, I have started Golden Age "hierarchy" threads to see where collectors rank the best of the best, up to this point in time. If you'd like to see my 2018 edition, you can find it HERE and if you'd like to see my 2017 edition, you can find it HERE. I'm a little earlier than usual this year, but I think it will be fun to discuss. 

I preface these posts by stating the obvious: there are no right or wrong answers. You could create your list based on any criteria you'd like. My list leans much more on historical significance this year than it did last year. I encourage discussion and for different collectors to share different points of view.

I do not collect Archie comic books, my focus has always been superheroes, so I've kept my list DC, Timely and Fawcett exclusive. Feel free to add in whatever books from whatever publishers you'd like. I didn't give my list too much thought. If I did, I'd probably continue to keep changing it up.

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Marvel Comics #1

4. Superman #1

5. Batman #1

6. Captain America Comics #1

7. All-Star Comics #8

8. Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

9. All-American Comics #16

10. Flash Comics #1

11. Detective Comics #33

12. Detective Comics #38

13. More Fun Comics #73

14. All-Star Comics #3

15. Detective Comics #31

16. Action Comics #7

17. More Fun Comics #52

18. Action Comics #23

19. Sensation Comics #1

20. Action Comics #2

21. Detective Comics #28

22. Action Comics #29

23. Action Comics #10

24. Action Comics #13

25. Adventure Comics #40

That's my list, subject to change and open for discussion. What does yours look like?

Do you assign an equal value to the October and November Marvel Comics 1?

3 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Fandom was Duck-crazed, no doubt. Plus the Duck books got bumps from things like Overstreet 7 (feature on Barks) and all the Duck paintings Barks was doing. 

As far as investments: no, the Duck giveaways didn't prove to be the investment the following books did (if you could find them in 1979):

Fantastic 3    -    $75

Startling 49   -     $18

Suspense 3   -    $21

Or how about a nice Cinderella Love 25 for $4.50? (that's four dollars and fifty cents, mind you):roflmao:

But of course Overstreet was just as out of touch then with reality on hot books/covers as it is now. One of the dangers of looking at old guides and assuming you could actually find books for the listed prices.  I remember talking to Ernie Gerber about buying the Suspense 3 he had pictured in the photo journal and asked him if 10x (new) Guide would pry it out of his hands when much to my surprise he told me he had already sold it to Majik for a higher multiple.

14 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

But of course Overstreet was just as out of touch then with reality on hot books/covers as it is now. One of the dangers of looking at old guides and assuming you could actually find books for the listed prices.  I remember talking to Ernie Gerber about buying the Suspense 3 he had pictured in the photo journal and asked him if 10x (new) Guide would pry it out of his hands when much to my surprise he told me he had already sold it to Majik for a higher multiple.

For the most part the Guide was what people were paying, Baker books were dirt cheap because nobody wanted them, Good Girl art, as noted in the Guide was not even as popular as it is now. the Fantastic and Startlinglook about right from what I remember.

Just MHO, but some of the books from the early Overstreet lists suffer from the fact that so few copies exist (i.e. Red Raven Comics, Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, If The Devil Would Talk B&W edition, ect.) 

But then again, the first appearance of Archie in Pep Comics #22 seems to be immune to this way of thinking, so there is that...

I believe that if we created different lists for: historical significance, FMV, long-term desirability, cover art, interior content, etc. it would be a lot easier to rank these books. 

Combining many of those factors is a tremendous challenge. For instance...

FMV

Action #7 > Tec #38 > All-Star #3

Historical Significance

All-Star #3 > Tec #38 > Action #7

It’s easy to rank books like All-Star #3, Tec #38 and Whiz #2 (#1) high due to their historical significance.

Its more difficult to justify putting books like Action #7 or Tec #31 high on the list. Not as historically significant but they are rarer, far more desirable and have stood near the top during an era when comics have been more valuable than they ever have before. That counts for something, a lot IMO, but nevertheless difficult to quantify.

After reading some of the feedback, I’d have to agree, Cap #3 belongs somewhere on the list, within the Top-25.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

On 1/31/2019 at 6:15 AM, G.A.tor said:

From a demand standpoint, been asked for cap 3 much more frequently than 10+ issues listed above...mileage may vary 

I'd love to see you and other Golden Age dealers make a top 25 list based on current demand. :wishluck:

Edited by Illustrious

On 1/31/2019 at 1:43 PM, pemart1966 said:

Do you assign an equal value to the October and November Marvel Comics 1?

Equal? No. Give me an OCT copy over a NOV copy if given a choice. But is there enough of a difference for me to put NOV copies under other books in the rankings? Not sold on that.

2 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Equal? No. Give me an OCT copy over a NOV copy if given a choice. But is there enough of a difference for me to put NOV copies under other books in the rankings? Not sold on that.

It might be enough for me to rank Oct one slot above Nov indicating them as two separate books...

2 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

It might be enough for me to rank Oct one slot above Nov indicating them as two separate books...

Wouldn’t one value the 650th printed copy of Superman #1 more than the 1,500th printed copy of Superman #1?

Edited by Wayne-Tec

8 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Wouldn’t one value the 650th printed copy of Superman #1 more than the 1,500th printed copy of Superman #1?

Do sales of Superman 1 emphasize the various  prints?  Do buyers pay more for one print vs another?  I honestly don't know.  I do know that there's enough of a visual distinction with Marvel 1 that, yeah, when an October copy comes up for sale, it's emphasized as such.

Edited by pemart1966

Oct over Nov MC 1 if given a preference but not enough to separate imo with a his list.  I also thought cap 1 would jump Bats 1 in the near future but I’m not so sure anymore.  I prefer Cap  1 to Bats 1 for the record and have for as long as I can remember.