• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper books with ONLY a UPC edition (before UPCs became the norm)

44 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I added a bunch more books, and realized there are a good number of titles to check in the Epic imprint and other Marvel imprints. I know that a lot of Epic titles were Direct-only, so I assume there will be a good number of books in there, but not all Epic titles were Direct-only. 

I can feel a spreadsheet coming on....:grin:

List updated with more titles. Here's an interesting one: The Adventures of Captain America appears to have both a UPC and a non-UPC (Fantastic 4 30th Anniversary logo) for issue #4 only. Most of the listings I found on eBay are the UPC version, with only a couple of the FF logo. It seems unlikely that there would have been a ton of the these books distributed to newsstands, and a much smaller percentage to comic stores. There has to be something else going on there.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:11 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

divad, I read your contribution as "so what guys, get a life". That's fair enough, you are indeed entitled to your opinion as you said. I'd question the wisdom of sharing it though. Unless you have some ongoing relationship with the authors, and it's seen as humour, it can come across as pretty rude. 

I like your new avatar by the way, and said as such in my avatar thread. 

No offense meant, and I don't have an "ongoing relationship" really with any of you. ;) Rude schmude. :sumo:  Now that you've forced my hand, I guess my opinion is that it's "mental masturbation." True to the title, these books are all simply how they were published - nothing odd or terribly interesting about them.

While I appreciate many of your posts . . . put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Again, no offense. :grin:

1 hour ago, divad said:

No offense meant, and I don't have an "ongoing relationship" really with any of you. ;) Rude schmude. :sumo:  Now that you've forced my hand, I guess my opinion is that it's "mental masturbation." True to the title, these books are all simply how they were published - nothing odd or terribly interesting about them.

Sometimes, I walk into Red Lobster and make sure everyone knows that I don't like seafood, and then I go somewhere else for a burger.

9 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
1 hour ago, divad said:

Sometimes, I walk into Red Lobster and make sure everyone knows that I don't like seafood and say no offense, and then I go somewhere else for a burger.

ftfy

Spoiler

No offense lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I've missed the past knowledge on the boards about comics, and I'll  admit I can't critically think we'll enough with the knowledge I do have to ask Google to search the boards.

:makepoint: I'm too much of a beggar to be a chooser :foryou:

31 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Sometimes, I walk into Red Lobster and make sure everyone knows that I don't like seafood, and then I go somewhere else for a burger.

Really?

I thought I was the only one!

On 2/5/2019 at 12:56 AM, divad said:

I make a point of not being offended by small minded comments backwards david, so none taken. You're more than welcome to put that retort up your pipe, although I wouldn't recommend smoking it. 

I still like your new avatar :)

Oh dear, I didn't touch a nerve there at all did I! So flustered he couldn't get two lines out without cocking it up.

Still, given backwards david's contributions to this thread thus far, it's about what you'd expect really... 9_9

On 2/19/2019 at 9:24 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Oh dear, I didn't touch a nerve there at all did I! So flustered he couldn't get two lines out without cocking it up.

Still, given backwards david's contributions to this thread thus far, it's about what you'd expect really... 9_9

There's no need for you to try to provoke fights with others, and, though I don't speak for anyone but myself, I imagine that others feel the same way. 

Contribute to the discussion, but save the personal comments and insults for another board, as they tend to muddy up threads, and are the cause of threads being locked.

Thanks for your cooperation.

:foryou:

If I'm understanding this topic, these are books which only exist in ONE version, a direct edition, which has a UPC that should have indicated newsstand but it's still only a direct edition. As long as no one pays a premium for the newsstand edition (because there isn't one), all copies of these books are the same and there's only one version (direct edition) which can be collected.  Correct?

17 hours ago, valiantman said:

If I'm understanding this topic, these are books which only exist in ONE version, a direct edition, which has a UPC that should have indicated newsstand but it's still only a direct edition. As long as no one pays a premium for the newsstand edition (because there isn't one), all copies of these books are the same and there's only one version (direct edition) which can be collected.  Correct?

Yep. That's it. I think it's mostly complete right now. But I need to go through the list of Epic Comics, which were mostly direct-only but which did have a few titles distributed to the newsstand, to see which titles as a whole would fall into this category, and which of the titles may have books that were distributed both places but might only have a code.

17 hours ago, valiantman said:

Well, that's basically it anyway. Some of these books may have newsstand distribution, but no direct edition without a barcode. It seems unlikely to me that they would have distributed Wolverine Saga 1-2 to the newsstand and then not distributed 3-4 to the newsstand but included a barcode anyway.