• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[FEB 12 UPDATE] !RETURNED! - Dell’Otto
2 2

210 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, 

So as of 10:55am MST the Dell’Otto is back in my possession.

The story of how it was “ found” is strange, and quite convoluted.  The details aren’t very important, but the result is.

I do appreciate that Luis has made this right, and that the art was returned.

I’ve gone back and forth a little bit trying to figure out if I should be angry, but I’ve settled on forgiveness.  Everyone makes mistakes, and I believe in second chances.  As such, I’m satistied with this at the end of the day, and can forgive the parties involved.

A couple of good & great things came out of this story. I am very proud to be apart of this community and I feel truly honoured by the support I’ve received.  You are all exactly the group I was told about.   You fight for your members and you are ferverent in your pursuit of justice, and what’s right.

I’ve learned a valuable lesson personally, including how protected I feel when it comes to the financial monster PayPal.  I hope we all are a bit more careful and we can avoid this in the future.  Finally, I have a checklist of how to deal with the buying and selling of art - I definitely adhered to a ‘run & gun’ approach when it came to the collecting - and I’ll tread a little more lightly now.

Thank you again everyone, without your support and a bit of pressure - this piece would not have made it back to Canada.

5110CFA1-689A-41A6-B318-EE83878BCBD4.thumb.jpeg.9d373cf7c24c4532dd6855a55a1fa917.jpeg7B2CC583-3925-4B1A-84E2-EB1BE9315471.thumb.jpeg.34c711451f0edfd26765b6821d3b63a1.jpeg

Edited by RS88
Update

34 minutes ago, RS88 said:

Nothing feels better when you’re so excited to be apart of an amazing tight-knit community and a fradadulant d-bag sucks the life out of it.

The piece attached was discussed, negotiated and sold to a ... hmm.. hard swallow.... in Visalia California.  Upon receipt a dispute was submitted that it was an “Art Print” and money was to be refunded.  PayPal has been extraordinarily unhelpful.

The following was the original art (11x17) and the second picture was what was returned.

Yes I was naive. No, will not do it again.  Protect yourselves. Take references. And if you buy this piece, hammer the waste of skin.

DD28EC2A-DF82-4133-8119-EF2987C8A5E3.jpeg

Never mind, I figured it out. 

Jose Luis Guizar

Edited by mister_not_so_nice

Anything you’re not clear on - feel free to message me - but here is the gist:

1. CAF Member - Luis Guizar - contacted me about my for-sale listing

2. We negotiated via CAF messaging to settle on a price, but he did not have a gallery or any art posted 

3. Requested an invoice be sent via PayPal, which was done and the Dell’Otto was sent overnight

4.  Jose Luis Guizar then went totally silent and also submitted a claim on PayPal that I had sent an Art Print and not an original

5. PayPal suggested the best course was to return the item

6. Item returned was a print-off of an internet image on 8-1/2 x 11 printer paper

7. PayPal said claim is now closed

8. UPDATE: Because I have claimed a reason for dispute that MATCHES the buyer (aka fraudulent dbag) I am ineligible for appeal.

Lesson: Vet your sales. Deal with people you know or who have strong references.

4 hours ago, wurstisart said:

Is this individual a known name?

No, my mistake to proceed with the transaction as I didn’t have a history or a reference 

He was phone-bombed yesterday as he included his number returning the item - so I’m guessing it’s his real identity

11 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Contact the FBI, and copy PayPal on the communication. This is mail fraud. Also contact the local police department where this guy lives, the sheriff’s department, and the California Attorney Generals Office. Who knows how many other people he’s scammed like this. 

Agreed, mail fraud is a federal offense. I hope they'd take it seriously.

Sorry this is happening to you. I'm sure I speak for most of us as a group when I say this is our collective nightmare.