• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[FEB 12 UPDATE] !RETURNED! - Dell’Otto
2 2

210 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, thethedew said:

I presume the FBI (and most other U.S. Law Enforcement) is not an option, as the OP is a Canadian citizen.

Bill at CAF might know - though he's posted elsewhere that the OP was the only person contacted through this guy's CAF account.

4 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The US Mail was used. The FBI has jurisdiction. 

1 hour ago, aokartman said:

Maybe the enforcement arm of the US Postal Service, could help.  The United States Postal Inspection Service.  David

I can theorize per above too, but Canada to USA (Canada customs out to USA customs in) and then domestically interstate...a lawyer's dream to argue jurisdiction and a mess the rest of us amateurs can only ponder. OP won't know until he asks, starting with his local police and then pulling the thread out slowly...

Maybe OP is just moving silently under the waves on the matter?

But if not, I'm not seeing any interest by OP posts in following this path. Why? You've already taken all the losses (art, money, time/energy) and exhausted the obvious efforts to salvage something - to no avail. What remains is unlikely to yield fruit but also a minor incremental effort to follow through on, compared to the effort already expended and the still possible recovery of some/all money or the art. Again, if nothing else, documenting your ownership and the relevant property theft details in a police report makes it a lot easier to stake your claim if/when the art does re-appear on the market.

That really is awful.

Make sure you have proof of what you sent, and hopefully, you have saved copies of any communications. That includes any email, text messages and voicemail (Yes, I know the odds are small that you do, but it never hurts to check).

Anyone else dealt with him who can back up the story with a similar incident?

6 hours ago, Michaeld said:

Did the OP give the money back before the art was returned?

Mike, this was a PayPal return.  I assume PayPal refunded the money once the tracking for the return shipment showed that it was delivered.

Malvin

21 hours ago, malvin said:

Mike, this was a PayPal return.  I assume PayPal refunded the money once the tracking for the return shipment showed that it was delivered.

Malvin

That is correct Malvin, as soon as the Buyer showed proof of delivery on a return PayPal instantly refunded to the buyer and sucked the same amount out of my bank account....

On 2/3/2019 at 2:54 PM, Rick2you2 said:

That really is awful.

Make sure you have proof of what you sent, and hopefully, you have saved copies of any communications. That includes any email, text messages and voicemail (Yes, I know the odds are small that you do, but it never hurts to check).

Anyone else dealt with him who can back up the story with a similar incident?

Unfortunately I was his first mark according to Bill Cox @ CAF.  From what Bill has also sniffed out - and makes total sense - was that he was more concerned that I was out of country and not in the US.

6 hours ago, RS88 said:

Unfortunately I was his first mark according to Bill Cox @ CAF.  From what Bill has also sniffed out - and makes total sense - was that he was more concerned that I was out of country and not in the US.

You should pass on your name and contact information to the OP if he intends to seek a criminal action. Corroboration helps.

46 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

You should pass on your name and contact information to the OP if he intends to seek a criminal action. Corroboration helps.

he is the OP

2 hours ago, Bird said:

he is the OP

The plot thickens.....

Seriously though - that is disgusting that someone would do that. One thing I didn't see mentioned was maybe this should be passed along to all the dealers. If the person realized they can't sell the work easily online now, maybe they will try to approach a dealer online or at a convention for a trade or cash.

The "local" con there would be California Republic Comic Con however, having been to the cons that this promoter puts on, it's not the type of con that fans go to buy high end art. If the suspect wanted to sell the piece at a con, he'd also have a variety of cons to go to should he be willing to travel a few hours. Ryan, if you want me to send you a list of cons the suspect may hit up, let me know; however, the promoters may be ambivalent to your situation. That is to say, they're not going to put on their hunting hats and grab their magnifying glasses to look high and low for it. But hey, anything is worth a try. They would need a police report though--they are not going to confiscate high end artwork based on "hearsay."

10 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

The "local" con there would be California Republic Comic Con however, having been to the cons that this promoter puts on, it's not the type of con that fans go to buy high end art. If the suspect wanted to sell the piece at a con, he'd also have a variety of cons to go to should he be willing to travel a few hours. Ryan, if you want me to send you a list of cons the suspect may hit up, let me know; however, the promoters may be ambivalent to your situation. That is to say, they're not going to put on their hunting hats and grab their magnifying glasses to look high and low for it. But hey, anything is worth a try. They would need a police report though--they are not going to confiscate high end artwork based on "hearsay."

If they have Facebook pages for the cons maybe they would be willing to put out a PSA with a picture. Might be a good way to circulate the situation. Doesn't hurt to ask. Also, would not name names. 

19 hours ago, RS88 said:

That is correct Malvin, as soon as the Buyer showed proof of delivery on a return PayPal instantly refunded to the buyer and sucked the same amount out of my bank account....

If the PayPal account had been tied to a credit card rather than the OP's bank account, would he have another avenue of defense (opening a dispute with the cc company), or would it have mattered?