• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[FEB 12 UPDATE] !RETURNED! - Dell’Otto
2 2

210 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, RS88 said:

Hey guys, updated - seems like there’s some fury today as the buyer is feeling the heat of being outed.

Pretty sad turn of events. So what name was he using on CAF? I assume it’s different than what’s on the package?

19 minutes ago, RS88 said:

Hey guys, updated - seems like there’s some fury today as the buyer is feeling the heat of being outed.

This is great news!  

No collector is going to be able to get a piece like that and keep it to themselves. They HAVE to brag and show it off. And when he does/did all of his collecting circle will know how he obtained it and what a scumbag he is in his core.  

Where is this "heat" going down? in a FB group?  I need to check this out.

10 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

This is great news!  

No collector is going to be able to get a piece like that and keep it to themselves. They HAVE to brag and show it off. And when he does/did all of his collecting circle will know how he obtained it and what a scumbag he is in his core.  

Where is this "heat" going down? in a FB group?  I need to check this out.

Yessir!

Most of the damage is happening on Annabel Kirby’s post 

But it may be taken down as Annabel is sadly and unfairly caught hosting the debate

2 hours ago, RS88 said:

Luis Guizar on CAF

Jose Luis Guizar on Mail Labels

Luis Montana on Facebook

I don’t want to assume how he ethnically identifies himself (Mexican, Salvadoran, Guatemalan, etc) but it’s pretty standard in Latinx culture to drop the “Jose” from their name (or “Maria” for females) and go by their middle name. His friends likely know him only by Luis, while his family largely refers to him by Luis too. Dollars to donuts the “Montana” is a reference to Tony Montana (Pacino’s Scarface.)

i finds myself scratching me chin hairs reading that he’s happy he didn’t fall for paying through “friends and family” and yet he spent $4250 sight unseen, based on an alleged “print.” If it truly was a print you posted and he’s going to drop $4250 to a seller across the border, you’d think he’d ask for a photo of the real deal 🤔 I kick the tires a lot for less than that. 

1 hour ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I don’t want to assume how he ethnically identifies himself (Mexican, Salvadoran, Guatemalan, etc) but it’s pretty standard in Latinx culture to drop the “Jose” from their name (or “Maria” for females) and go by their middle name. His friends likely know him only by Luis, while his family largely refers to him by Luis too. Dollars to donuts the “Montana” is a reference to Tony Montana (Pacino’s Scarface.)

i finds myself scratching me chin hairs reading that he’s happy he didn’t fall for paying through “friends and family” and yet he spent $4250 sight unseen, based on an alleged “print.” If it truly was a print you posted and he’s going to drop $4250 to a seller across the border, you’d think he’d ask for a photo of the real deal 🤔 I kick the tires a lot for less than that. 

Great assertation.  I didn’t know this and the concept had me spun around quite a bit.

I just don’t understand why there was absolutely no attempt to communicate an issue until it all exploded on social media.

And yes, when big dollars are spent cautiously one would expect a few questions.

Just so unfortunate....

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

But only one side has something to benefit from the scam

Not technically true. One person would probably accept the original purchase price back for the item that was sold. If it was a print, then they make a lot of money. On the other hand, if it was the OA, then the purchaser wants to keep the art for free. 

Like I said. Weird. 

But what seller would think that that’s going to actually work you’re going to get it returned and lose your money immediately the buyer on the other hand has stupid eBay and PayPal policy is on their side so the chance of success is great

I guess you could always send German newspaper if you’re a scammer especially for out of country sales what the probability of who is the scammer  seems to me to be the buyer  

But you’re right anyone who’s going to cheat someone else for that amount of money wouldn’t let logic stop them

6 hours ago, Will_K said:
9 hours ago, RS88 said:

one would expect a few questions

You may also start asking more questions.

1 hour ago, malvin said:
6 hours ago, Will_K said:

You may also start asking more questions.

What does that mean?  

Malvin 

What I meant was... @RS88 may be more skittish when people try to buy from him and HE will start asking more questions.

Edited by Will_K

To me, it reads like a near-perfect international eBay/Paypal scam that has developed over the last 7 to 10 years. Or at least however long it's been since eBay stopped allowing feedback against buyers. It was the only deterrent, and that's when they shot sellers in the foot.

Sure the seller could send a print to the buyer, but that's super easy to notice. We've seen that scam before too, though more often the seller is just uneducated and thought their print was an original for whatever reason, or they play dumb.
But why pay the cost of shipping international in the hopes that a print will fool somebody? You'd have to do it a fair bit to make it at all profitable by finding the rare doofus that wouldn't know the difference.

On the flip side, I've seen people order stuff on eBay, have the buyer file a claim and send back phone books, machine parts, all kinds of trash and whathave you. Just so they could point to eBay and Paypal and say they did send it back per the weight of what was shipped their way. Or they say the seller shipped it to them that way, and resent a picture of the stuff "after it was opened". When they pull the switcheroo and tell the services that the seller didn't send what was described, the services almost always side with the buyer.

How do you prove you packed it, gave it to the PO exactly what you claim, without shooting video footage of the process from start to finish, with zero editing?
And even then, if someone was determined, they could make a switcheroo even in such a video if they were slick.

eBay and Paypal are cesspools now. But it's the way people expect to pay and do business. You shrink your buyer pool if you don't play ball. And if all the comic OA market bycotted or went away, I doubt it'd leave much of a blip on eBay's bottom line, compared to these scams as pulled on transactions for clothing, car parts, sporting good, etc and so on.

The whole thing sucks.

BTW, I do documenting videos when I unbox anything nowadays. I delete them as soon as I can verify it is what it's supposed to be.

Edited by ESeffinga