• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[FEB 12 UPDATE] !RETURNED! - Dell’Otto
2 2

210 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RS88 said:

I’d say you nailed it. ;)

lol I can't believe that was what he really said. (or thereabouts) I literally told my buddy that would be this guy's excuse, if he did return it, and I would put money on it. I'm laughing so hard right now.

Clearly his motivation is damage control for his rep, and not remorse for what he did or anything else. He's destroyed his own reputation in this hobby. But if you choose to make that bed you have to sleep in it!

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

So let me get this straight.

Someone tampered with his mail (was it USPS? I would say that's a big offense). They opened his mail. They took the art out. They made a print of the art. They put the print in the package and sealed it up perfectly so it didn't look tampered with. They did all this within hours so the buyer didn't know anything happened, and the tracking history didn't seem to have lag times that are unaccounted for.

Is that about right? That's the story he's going with?

So is this mastermind relative of his Dr Doom? The Red Skull, perhaps?

But why would he want a portrait of his enemies?? 

But yes - that was the impression I was given.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I would be half tempted to send him a note and say "I decided to turn this over to the police" but sadly, the police will do nothing since you got the item back.

Lol Oh there were some interesting exchanges with the police...and memories in this community are quite long!

There is an ebay / paypal topic around here where many posted about how bad those company policies are and how they protect the buyer and not the seller. That they believe they are setting things right by giving the buyer back the money and the item back to the seller. No matter what condition the item is in or if the item is the same, complete, intact, etc. Ebay and paypal just want to keep the money rolling in and that means making buyers feel safe not sellers. It seems like if not for the comic art community the buyer would have succeeded in his scam. Which make no mistake was well thought out in sending back an actual printed copy of the original artwork. You get into he said / she said and those companies don't involve themselves in that.

I've never used CAF myself. But I don't use ebay to sell anything anymore. And when I buy, I go directly to the seller as they usually will have a store and cheaper prices without ebay and paypal fees. So I barely use paypal who even changed their policies recently and wanted a social security number. I don't see how that would even help in this situation as the policies seem to be the same regarding protecting buyers. The only way those companies will understand their bad policies is if they start losing large sums of money. So don't use them.

I'm glad the artwork was returned. I hope no one ever deals with this guy. No excuse for what he did. That the artwork was "found" is a joke. Why go through all that garbage? There needs to be a new type of secure site where this nonsense can never happen.

7 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

There is an ebay / paypal topic around here where many posted about how bad those company policies are and how they protect the buyer and not the seller. That they believe they are setting things right by giving the buyer back the money and the item back to the seller. No matter what condition the item is in or if the item is the same, complete, intact, etc. Ebay and paypal just want to keep the money rolling in and that means making buyers feel safe not sellers. It seems like if not for the comic art community the buyer would have succeeded in his scam. Which make no mistake was well thought out in sending back an actual printed copy of the original artwork. You get into he said / she said and those companies don't involve themselves in that.

I've never used CAF myself. But I don't use ebay to sell anything anymore. And when I buy, I go directly to the seller as they usually will have a store and cheaper prices without ebay and paypal fees. So I barely use paypal who even changed their policies recently and wanted a social security number. I don't see how that would even help in this situation as the policies seem to be the same regarding protecting buyers. The only way those companies will understand their bad policies is if they start losing large sums of money. So don't use them.

I'm glad the artwork was returned. I hope no one ever deals with this guy. No excuse for what he did. That the artwork was "found" is a joke. Why go through all that garbage? There needs to be a new type of secure site where this nonsense can never happen.

The entire issue/PayPal rant comes down to one thing only: if you (as a business) want the liquidity that credit cards and lines offer your customers. More spending power = more/higher sales (hopefully). Remove that and we're back to cash 'n carry or HA, CLink et al (with their own drag in the form of seller's fees) etc as ways to sell. PayPal isn't the enemy here, it's the lenders...in the sense that they will side with their customer (and yours) over you...that's the nature of the contractual relationship they have with them (and not you). PayPal is just the pass-through of all this, taking a tiny slice for doing so but no risk...which I don't think is particularly wrong.

Don't want to play in the lenders sandbox...don't pay with credit or sell to buyers using credit. All good. But if a tipping point backwards is reached...watch this stuff all return to those nasty "pre" days of the 1990s and a zero (or two) drop off a lot of values...and expect the Houses to increase their fees too, seeing as they will now have a monopoly on clearing business for all non-cash value in the hobby exceeding what anybody is willing to lose sending cash, check, money order through the mail and getting...sometimes nothing in return!

Just some thoughts...

1 hour ago, vodou said:

The entire issue/PayPal rant comes down to one thing only: if you (as a business) want the liquidity that credit cards and lines offer your customers. More spending power = more/higher sales (hopefully). Remove that and we're back to cash 'n carry or HA, CLink et al (with their own drag in the form of seller's fees) etc as ways to sell. PayPal isn't the enemy here, it's the lenders...in the sense that they will side with their customer (and yours) over you...that's the nature of the contractual relationship they have with them (and not you). PayPal is just the pass-through of all this, taking a tiny slice for doing so but no risk...which I don't think is particularly wrong.

Don't want to play in the lenders sandbox...don't pay with credit or sell to buyers using credit. All good. But if a tipping point backwards is reached...watch this stuff all return to those nasty "pre" days of the 1990s and a zero (or two) drop off a lot of values...and expect the Houses to increase their fees too, seeing as they will now have a monopoly on clearing business for all non-cash value in the hobby exceeding what anybody is willing to lose sending cash, check, money order through the mail and getting...sometimes nothing in return!

Just some thoughts...

I don't remember where I read it, but if my memory serves it was one of those eBay (and paypal as an extension of the company at that point) 1/4 investor meetings.  Something was said to the affect of:

"we will never take an action against a customer that would cause them to no longer buy on ebay".

At the end of the day, eBay believes the sellers will always be there, as long as they have the buyers.  I have just accepted that reality, and never sell anything I'm not willing to take a 100% loss on.

Edited by Pete Marino

On 2/12/2019 at 10:17 PM, RS88 said:

Definitely didn’t expect to see the art coming home.  I really do count myself pretty lucky.

Neither did I.   Very glad this ended with the art back in your possession.  

And...just to have his name pop up on google searches.  The "buyer":

@king_collectables is the company, Luis Guizar is the name.

12 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

The crook realized Dell Otto is over rated eye candy. :gossip:

qckcp.jpg

Did you just "Oh no, you didn't" on yourself in the same post? 

qckcp.jpg