• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any artist you prefer pencils only, no ink?

36 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Stefanomjr said:

Brett Booth, for sure. I've purchased a handful of his Sketch Saturday artwork and I've seen finished/inked art in bins at conventions. The pencil work is so much better! His pencils remind me of Jim Lee. I'd love to see him ink his own work or have Scott WIlliams ink his lines. 

agreed.  his sketch Saturday's are very underrated.  he does a great job at capturing iconic poses for the characters he does and his pencil work is superb.  his own ink work could use some refinement though. 

I think that pencil drawings can be just as powerful and expressive as ink or paint.
In fact, many artists have found success working with colored pencils, they are versatile and can be used for a wide range of techniques, from rough sketching to detailed drawings. And it's also important to use the best coloured pencils, as they will make your drawings look more professional and will help to create the desired effect.It's always good to experiment and find what works best for you, whether it's pencils only, inks, or a combination of both. Everyone has their own preferences and what works for one person may not work for another. It's always good to explore and find your own style.

Edited by Lizatipic

On 2/1/2019 at 8:03 AM, vodou said:

SanJulian, Tomas Giorello, Boris Vallejo, Norem, Byrne (especially beginning from Namor on!) So many more, those off the top of my head.

SanJulian, Boris Vallejo, Norem those are painters. Have they ever done work where people ink over their pencils or the pencils are prelims to their finished painted work?

On 1/18/2023 at 1:28 PM, Brian Peck said:

SanJulian, Boris Vallejo, Norem those are painters. Have they ever done work where people ink over their pencils or the pencils are prelims to their finished painted work?

2019 was pretty good from what I recall. Can only speak about Norem but I believe his process was a crayon draft of his proposed illustration, followed by a pencilled full size layout which think he overhead projected on a board where he painted the finished product. If you ever see a painting he did without lines visible squaring the corners it’s probably a phony. My personal favorite pencils are Krenkel. 

279ED7D2-36BA-492A-BF1A-63B3A3E06EB6.jpeg

002960E3-1179-402A-8048-E42C4520EB9B.jpeg

31802F11-C70D-4B33-9470-A55A83F10110.jpeg

B20DE969-D54E-4E3B-A934-27F9876CEB74.jpeg

Gene Colan pencils are wonderful.

Let's not forget the world of comics greatest inker Joe Sinnott.

I love those Joe Sinnott tight pencil only drawings he did. I have one Silver Surfer pencil and one pencil and inked by Joe. I love them both but the pencil only is my favorite.

Honestly, I would be hard-pressed to find examples of artists where I don't prefer their pencil art to their inked art. In my opinion, it is a purer form of the medium. In particular, as Scott mentioned a few years back, Neal Adams' pencil work was/is sublime...and was pretty much right up until he passed. The best example is the tight finished pencils he provided for the Green Arrow back-up story in GL87. I used to own a few originals from that story and it is some of the best OA I have ever seen. Another pencils-only favourite is Byrne, just look at the great con pieces he did between 78-82, and then of course his shot-from-pencils work in Cap255 is stunning.

On 1/24/2023 at 4:40 AM, gumbydarnit said:

Joe's convention pencil headshots were GREAT!

Back in nineties at SDCC I came across an entire portfolio of pencil headshots. I have my Silver Surfer but I missed on so many more. I wish I had bought the entire book (at least 50) with examples of Thor, Spidey, THE FF.... if I remember correctly they were -$80-$100 a piece. My brother grabbed a couple one was a great Thor.... I can't remember the other might've been Spidey/Parker half face.

On 1/18/2023 at 12:23 PM, Lizatipic said:

I think that pencil drawings can be just as powerful and expressive as ink or paint.
In fact, many artists have found success working with colored pencils, they are versatile and can be used for a wide range of techniques, from rough sketching to detailed drawings. And it's also important to use the best coloured pencils, as they will make your drawings look more professional and will help to create the desired effect.It's always good to experiment and find what works best for you, whether it's pencils only, inks, or a combination of both. Everyone has their own preferences and what works for one person may not work for another. It's always good to explore and find your own style.

We forgot our manners. Welcome to the boards. The rootin-tootinist best chat board on the subject in the whole known universe.